Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Great. Thanks for reporting in. :)

So the Quadrilogy set of Alien is something to avoid. I have the "Alien - The Saga" 5 disc box set. I hope it doesn't have the same flaw.

Any pictures you care to share? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
So the Quadrilogy set of Alien is something to avoid. I have the "Alien - The Saga" 5 disc box set. I hope it doesn't have the same flaw.

Any pictures you care to share? :mrgreen:

The other disc I used last year was good, so I thinl only the first disc is a bit soft on volume. At home that isn't a problem, but in larger rooms like the classroom I was in, with a crowd of 45 excited kids it can cause a little trouble. So if you plan on showing Alien in those conditions, now you know ;)

I haven't seen any kids taking pics, so I guess no pictures this year. If it turns out later there are, I;ll post some.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Had a horrornight at school again. Only three rooms this year and less visitors than previous editions. Back home now and sort of awake after having shown the following last night:

The Fly - some 30 kids watched this, and they applauded at the end, nice. They were eeew-ing a lot at the puke scenes.
The Fog - some 30 kids watched this, most thought it was boring, but there were some nice jumps in the audience too.
Bram Stoker's Dracula - some 15 kids watched this, the comments were postive, but some said it wasn't horror ( :roll: today's kids...)
Braindead - some 20 kids watched this, a few of them understood this was for laughs. One boy kept going on about the zombie with the garden gnome on it's head.
The Amityville Horror - only ~5 kids watched this, they almost all fell asleep or went away during this film. I think they thought it was boring.
Nightmare on Elm Street - some 40 kids watched this, making it the most visited film of my room last night. There were some genuine scares and regular screams in the audience. The girls didn't recognize Johnny Depp and had a hard time believing it was him ;)

Not sure if I'll do it next year. Staying up all night and then go to work next week is getting the better of me more than it used to. But I had fun, the kids were way more disciplined than in other years, when they came and went almost continually during films. Only saw that one time this year.

I also enjoyed my lineup way more than last few years. I can still do one more lineup before I have to repeat myself. Still in doubt, guess I'll know next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 am  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Devil, Probably
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
OK, so I did one more horrornight at school. It was almost sold out this year and it was back to four rooms again, like it used to be (except for last year). I decided to take a powernap halfway through the night to deal with the whole thing a bit better.

Halloween - 20 kids watching this Carpenter classic, of which I was a bit surprised that the level of violence is so low, and the image is so dark that often you can't see what's actually happening. Some didn't like this at all, but there were also kids really into the film, commenting on it with stuff like "No, don't go there, dumb girl!"
Carrie - the film with the most visitors, starting around 50 kids, losing some 10 of them about halfway. I really dislike it when kids decide to walk out on a film, but I can't shoot them down without getting into trouble. ;) A john Travolta fan sat next to me, saying that she thought it was so mean what the kids were doing to Carrie several times. The scare at the end of the film, in Sue's sequence, was really successful: I waited for it and then I had some 20 girls scream out loud simultaneously, nice.
The Lost Boys - 10 kids watched this with me, funny film. Way less scary than the previous one, though. Cool music!
The Exorcist - over 40 kids watched this, as I had recommended this one as "the film to see tonight" to all kids with questions. I had my powernap during this one, so I don't know what the reactions were, I'll ask some kids later. The colleague watching over said it was quite a success.
Hellraiser II - only 4 girls had the courage to watch this, and during this film it became too much for one of them. I must say, this was by far the goriest film tonight and I didn't remember a thing from it, I think it was 20 years ago since I saw this. Great effects though. Comments by the girls: "How does one come up with a story like this?" and in the scene with the skinless Julia: "How did they make this?" Nice.
The Howling - yet another film of which I didn't remember a thing, it was like a new film for me. 15 kids watched this, but only one saw the ending.

Next year I think I'll take a break from this, or I will only do a part of the night. I can always deliver the goods, though ;)

Room filling up just before showing Carrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Good job. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

Site Admin
Hellraiser 2 was going to be gorey, heck the first one is gorey too. The whole skinless resurrection from the mattress, etc.

Hellraiser 3+ are the only 'light' ones in that series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Hellraiser 2 was going to be gorey, heck the first one is gorey too. The whole skinless resurrection from the mattress, etc.

Hellraiser 3+ are the only 'light' ones in that series.

Hehe, yeah, I noticed. It is just that I totally didn't remember a thing from this film that it surprised me a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Yesterday there was another horrornight at school, I only attended the first two films.

The playlist was:

The People Under the Stairs
Cape Fear
Sleepless
Interview with the Vampire
Demons 2
The Relic

People Under The stairs was nice, there were some 15 kids and a bunch of girls freaked out on almost everything adding to the atmosphere. One problem was that I lost image while watching, and it turned out that the cable between the DVD player and the beamer was quite rotten, so it was repaired successfully during the film. Cape Fear came next and it was not as much fun to watch. A large group entered the room to watch it, so we were with around 40-45 people. But they were being very noisy and some 15 kids left the film after ten minutes or so. Two small groups kept on talking thoughout the film, making me have to keep it quiet very actively.

After that a colleague took over, a lot of kids left the room but I don't know how well the other films were received. I'll hear that on Monday I guess ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
New horrornight upcoming and I need some advice.

Running times this year are like this:

±140 minutes
±170 minutes (or two films of 85 minutes)
±95 minutes
±125 minutes
±105 minutes

So I was thinking:

- Underworld
- Two films: My Bloody Valentine/House By The Cemetery/Demons/Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Pumpkinhead (many options here)
- Day of the Dead
- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
- The Thing

I'd like some advice on House By The Cemetery, is it OK to show this? For those who don't know, conditions are:
1) I need to have the film on DVD with Dutch subs
2) The films needs to be OK to watch for 13-year olds
3) It needs to be cool and gory, scary and/or funny
4) I prefer classics over more modern ones

Any tips welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
I don't think that showing horror movies to 13-year olds is a good idea at all. I think it's all weird that people enjoy watching violence on TV. It somehow shows how sick our society is (including me).

When I saw "House by the cemetery" I didn't like it, because the victims acted so dumb. But I guess one can find that amusing. :)

Have a nice time. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
I don't think that showing horror movies to 13-year olds is a good idea at all. I think it's all weird that people enjoy watching violence on TV. It somehow shows how sick our society is (including me).
I think watching horror in movies is a healthy way to get rid of your inner fears and angers. It beats acting it out on the streets for sure.

I think the line-up is gonna be something like this:

1) Underworld
2) Child's Play/Demons
3) Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
4) Day of the Dead or Slither (depending on how much 95 the 95 minutes are gonna be)
5) The Thing