Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
junkboy wrote:
Slayer wrote:
Which movie is more suitable for a night like this (remember, there are 14-year old kids present, so I want movies which don't have too many extreme things): Zombie Holocaust or The Beyond?

Haven't watched either of them for a few years, but they're both gore movies. Depends how much splatter you want to show I guess. I think Zombie Holocaust is the more fun of the 2.
Which one has more splatter? By extreme things I mean rape scenes, extreme torture, etc.

Mmm, really having doubts about Amityville or Two Evil Eyes. Some say Amityville, some say Eyes.

About pure's list: Cronos is a take on vampirism, and therefore it will be two vampire movies, which is one too many. So I'd rather keep Cronos for a later edition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Slayer wrote:
Which one has more splatter? By extreme things I mean rape scenes, extreme torture, etc.

Neither of them are extreme, and neither contain rape or torture (from what I remember), just gore scenes. Zombie Holocaust is probably the goriest, but it's also the dumbest and more fun to watch. Maybe you need to watch them yourself first before you choose?

Quote:
Mmm, really having doubts about Amityville or Two Evil Eyes. Some say Amityville, some say Eyes.

About pure's list: Cronos is a take on vampirism, and therefore it will be two vampire movies, which is one too many. So I'd rather keep Cronos for a later edition.

Seeing as Amityville and The Changeling share a vaguelly similar theme (haunted houses), Two Evil Eyes might be the one to go for if you don't want 2 movies with a similar theme.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
OK, I think I'll pick The Beyond and Two Evil Eyes.

Another reason for me to choose The Beyond is that I like to show at least one video nasty, so I can tell the kids about the film being banned in the past, which is fun. And as long as Two Evil Eyes isn't considered a bad movie, I can easily go with that one, as it is a Romero/Argento co-production.

I watched most of the movies before, but it is a long time ago. Since I want to have a little fun myself too during the horrornight, I don't want to rewatch them so close before the event. Thanks for all contributions!

It will probably be like this:

135: Rosemary's Baby
105: The Changeling
086: The Beyond
145: Le Pact des Loupes
120: Two Evil Eyes
110: Vampires

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Slight change of plans. The Changeling didn;t fit, it was a bit too long. So now it is gonna be like this:

Le Pact des Loupes
Vampires
The Beyond
Rosemary's Baby
Two Evil Eyes
Hellraiser II

Not sure about this order, though, the kids are a bit confused this year ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

Site Admin
Yeah, I think the order for that list might be a bit off since some of the movies are a bit plodding which you don't want last. Le Pact des Loupes is pretty fast from what I recall.

I'd probably throw in some trash like Mucha Sangre to spice things up :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Well, back from the dead now. The order was like I posted above, but Hellraiser II didn't make it, they told me to show The Changeling anyway. This would mean the entire night would end 20 minutes late, but they said it wasn't a problem. Alas, most kids left when it was 8 o' clock in the morning, without finishing watching the movies.

Le Pact des Loupes - there were 15 kids watching this. They didn't like the French language, as it reminded them too much of French class :lol: but after a while they got into it. They didn't think of it as a horror movie, but they liked it anyway.

Vampires - around 50 kids started watching this one, but after a while some 20 had left. This is (I think) because they don't know the movies I show as they are too young to have seen them before, mostly. So they check it out and wheh they don't like it, they leave. Also, they don't read my instructions in the booklet which clearly state that the movies are old and therefore not as fast paced as modern movies. Regular laughing at James Woods' remarks, quite a success.

The Beyond - same as before, 50 kids at start, 30 later on. A colleague mentioned it might be that they actually are too scared to watch sometimes. I doubt that, but with this one it could be an explanation, because the opening scene is quite spectacular, and still some 20 kids left after that. They thought of the sfx as fake, but when I explained to some it was all handmade, they were impressed. I myself was surprised at how fake some stuff looks, like the spiders. Funny how it differs between the first and the second time you watch it. Lots of "eeew"s in this one.

Rosemary's Baby - around 40 kids were watching this one. What I feared became true: they didn't like this one. It was too long and boring. They kept asking me when it would become scary, and why this was a good movie (and also who picked this movie, LOL). They also didn't understand it too well, there were only a few kids who actually noticed the slow move towards witchcraft. Films like this are too much for young kids, I think. In the final scene they were all waiting to see the baby, and were disappointed when they didn't. They can't grasp that that is a strong point of the film, instead of a weakness. Again some said that this was not horror.

Two Evil Eyes - hadn't seen this one myself, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not only because I liked the film (especially the second story), but also because there were some genuine reactions in the crowd, now 30-35 kids strong. Regular screams and scares, and I realised that there had been too few of those this night. Previous nights had had them in almost every movie. There was one girl who got scraed of almost everything and she jumped even when the telephone rang in the film. Nice.

The Changeling - 20 kids left to watch this one. Many kids were asleep by now amnd I myself was havimng trouble to keep my eyes open too. I wanted to because I had never seen this one before either. Some posts here had warned me for the slow pace of the film, but I thought it was OK. It wasn't as slow paced as The Shining, for instance. For a ghost movie it wasn't really scary, but gain I got some screams from the crowd in this one. With 15 minutes to go, the majority of the kids left and 5 remained to watch the ending. They predicted it quite well, I must say.

It was nice, but I also felt that it was less successfull than previous years, because of the criticism on the films. Maybe it is jut me, or maybe it was just those few kids openly questioning the scariness, I don't know. For next year I hope they change the policy on the long movies. I don't have any more long horror films, I have shown them all. Besides, when they don't like a film after 30 minutes, they still have to watch it for the next two hours, which makes them rebellious. I had fun, though and I'm glad that at least Vampires and Two Evil Eyes were a success.

Pictures follow later. There won't be much, because I had to drag in the photographer, but at least there will be one picture with more kids on it than last year ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Good job. Although it's sad that a lot of them left the movies. Maybe next time, you can pick some scarier movies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
Good job. Although it's sad that a lot of them left the movies. Maybe next time, you can pick some scarier movies.
Well, I think a part of the crowd left the movies during the night because they didn't read about them in the booklet they get when they enter school at the beginning of the night. If they would have, they would know what the movies are about and they would have chosen better. Also, most movies don't get scary in the first 5 minutes, so I can't help that. Besides, most scary movies I already showed, I'm running out of options. This only adds to the restrictions I already have: running times must match the other films and I can't/don't want to show movies which are too extreme for this crowd, like for example Cannibal Holocaust.

If your comment was about the kids leaving at 8 am, then I completely agree. This was not because of the content of any movie, however, but because of the fact that the organising committee thought that it wasn't a problem. All movies ended to late. I hope they learn from this and plan better for next year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
I emailed with the kids organising the filmnight, and they agree it might be better to show 7 films instead of 6, to avoid really long films. They are trying to find enough 90 minutes horrorfilms and if they can come up with them, there will be 7 films. A 90 minute runtime is great for me of course, because there are so many films which fit that runtime, so I hope they succeed. I haven't shown the following classics yet, I post them here for future reference.

Lost Boys
Carrie
The Howling
Hellraiser
The Fly
Friday the 13th
Nightmare City
The Fog
The Dentist
Amityville Horror

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:56 am  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Have you showed them Salem's Lot? I personally think that it is way better than Lost Boys.

I also dislike the original Friday the 13th. In my opinion part two is more interesting. Unfortunately it starts with the heroine from part one getting killed. :lol:

I haven't seen the dentist yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
I don't have Salem's Lot with Ducth subs, so that's a problem. Also, the titles shown here are only possible candidates, nothing is certain yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Runtimes are out:

No ultra long films, but damn, they make it hard for me again...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
You only show movies you have on DVD that needs to have Dutch subs on it, don't you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Yes, indeed. Thought of the following:

113:
Silence of the Lambs (113)
Alien (112)

110:
Shocker (109)
Species (108)

109:
Ginger Snaps (108)
Scream (107)

106:
Planet Terror (105)
The Faculty (104)

102:
El Orfanato (101)

80-82:
Dead Meat (79)
Trick'R'Treat (79)

Last year a lot of the kids thought it wasn't scary enough, so I need the scariest. Give your opinions!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
My choices:

113:
Silence of the Lambs (113)
[X] Alien (112)

110:
[X] Shocker (109)
Species (108)

109:
[X] Ginger Snaps (108)
Scream (107)

106:
Planet Terror (105)
[X] The Faculty (104)

102:
[X] El Orfanato (101)

80-82: (I haven't seen these)
Dead Meat (79)
Trick'R'Treat (79)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
Thx chup! I think I'll go for Trick'R'Treat (it has higher score on imdb). For the 102 minutes I also found Day of the Dead, but my memory says I liked that movie but it wasn't really scary. For the 106 minutes I'm still in doubt. The Faculty is cool, but Planet Terror is also supercool and I'd like to show some zombies too :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
You are right about "Planet Terror". I was thinking that since it is a newer movie and was hyped, probably a lot of kids have already seen it. Also the Faculty plays at a school, sot that is a bonus. :) Maybe you can do a little joke afterwards. Lilke pretending that you have been posessed. :lol:

I haven't seen Day of the Dead yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
You are right about "Planet Terror". I was thinking that since it is a newer movie and was hyped, probably a lot of kids have already seen it. Also the Faculty plays at a school, sot that is a bonus. :) Maybe you can do a little joke afterwards. Lilke pretending that you have been posessed. :lol:

I haven't seen Day of the Dead yet.

I'm not sure if they really mind watching a movie which they (might) have seen before. I know some kids have seen it, but maybe they wanna see it again?

Watch tip for elchup: Day of the Dead (1985) ;)

Line up for Friday night:

Alien
El Orfanato
Planet Terror
Shocker
Ginger Snaps
Trick'R'Treat

I think this will do fine, with a nice variety between monsters and ghosts/killers.

Thx for thinking with me, chup :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:08 am  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
No problem. Best of luck. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Horrornight at school

The Ancient One
OK, back from the dead. It started out in a bad way, but it improved over time.

Alien - around 45 kids, they thought it was a good film, but the ending was too drawn out for their liking (the spaceship explodes, then explodes again, and for a third time even, then Ripley cuddles in the shuttle, with the cat and all, then there is the final fight with the alien) Unfortunately the DVD from the Quadrilogy set was very low on volume, so we had to change audiosets while screening and still the audio was hardly audible. This made getting into the film a lot harder for the kids, but still they appreciated the surgeryscene with the alien on the face, the classic alien scene and the scene where the crew goes looking for the alien with flamethrowers.
El Orfanato - around 20 kids, regular screams, they thought this one was scary. Had some goosebumps myself too in some scenes.
Planet Terror - around 40 kids, a lot of "eeeew!" and regular cheering, like you would expect with a movie like this. Some kids asked me about the quality of the print ("is this a VHS transfer?" lol) and there were some kids who kept repeating that what they saw was totally impossible, so I helped them by saying it wasn't a documentary :lol:
Shocker - around 20 kids, they thought sfx were fake (not so strange), but still they got scared a few times and they were commenting a lot about the dumbness of some of the characters, which I found funny. The dream sequences bored them after a few times ("He is dreaming again").
Ginger Snaps - around 40 kids, many kids said afterwards they thought this was "a sick film", I think that is meant to be a compliment. Some also said they liked it, despite the fact that the werewolf in the end "looked fake". Again a lot of screams and also laughter at the comical moments. During the end credits I heard a kid say "I still wonder how they did it with the fence", I liked that. I think this one was the biggest success.
Trick 'R' Treat - around 35 kids, it started out with some kids shouting that this film was really "fake scary" (they had seen it already). Despite the fact that the screams were largely absent this time, there were many comments around me stating that "this film is gonna be scary" and "I got scared by that". Of course it was already 6.30 in the morning, so I can understand some of them were really tired and maybe not even capable of screaming anymore ;)

All in all I had a bad start with lots of kids talking through the movie and low volume on Alien, but after that it took off and it became a success once more. I had a better feeling afterwards than last year.