Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:34 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Hehe, thats gone right over my head, HD content is something I've not got to grips with although theres a lot of people on here who have gone to that stage & when they talk about it its a bit like watching star wars at the age of 6... technobabble :googley:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:39 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
BadBugs wrote:
technobabble :googley:

lol. I find it easier to understand than what's been talked about here. 480i is interlaced standard definition. 480p is progressive scan, and also known as EDTV.
Quote:
Because EDTV signals use a progressive scan, they have about 50% more perceived vertical resolution than interlaced SDTV pictures with the same number of lines, and do not show the spatial/temporal aliasing artifacts associated with interlaced video. As a result, EDTV material gives much better results when upconverted for display on HDTV television sets, especially sets that natively use a progressive scan. However, because of the higher level of spatial coherence within single progressive frames as compared to single interlaced fields, EDTV does not increase the amount of data bandwidth proportionately to the greater number of pixels displayed per second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-d ... television

My Sat box puts out 480p on regular non HD channels, but S-Video is limited to 480i. Unfortunately, not only do I need a capture device that has component or HDMI inputs, I need one that has a hardware MPEG-2 encoder. The only device like that I have found costs $4K: http://www.epiphan.com/products/product ... 19r1kioia2

There are also some Japanese cards, but I have no idea how to get my hands on one of them. I thought the BlackMagic Intensity was the answer, but it has no hardware encoder.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:37 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LoL like I said, to me right now its all technobabble & really doesnt make a lot of sense :)

Edit: EDTV? what is that? I've heard of HDTV but don't know what that is either other than being of higher than DVD in quality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:51 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Tonight I'm checking out what AGK will give me with 1.46GB to play with. I should be posting the results later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:53 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Good luck, but seriously, dont be scared of trying GK, I've tried to make my guide as simple as possible by adding screens to every section & if you choose to try it, let me know where I can improve it :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:20 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
BadBugs wrote:
Good luck, but seriously, dont be scared of trying GK, I've tried to make my guide as simple as possible by adding screens to every section & if you choose to try it, let me know where I can improve it :D

It's not the mechanics that scare me. I'm sure for that I'll find support. It's the encoding time. I only have a Pentium D 3.0 GHz, and I need my PC for other tasks. Are you guys using dedicated machines for encoding?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:35 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I used to encode on this when it was a single core AMD3500+ with 1gig of ram & thats what I did my first GK rip on. Then I built a 2nd PC, AMD x2 4200 with 2gig which this is now & my ripping beasty that I just built after a month of hardware issues is an x2 AM2 6400 with 2gig DDR2 1066.
A simple unfiltered rip just to have a look at GK is stil going to take you the same duration as AGK, just means some extra input from you which will take you time initially but after 3 or 4 times it becomes 2nd nature & only takes 10mins. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:37 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
BadBugs wrote:
Edit: EDTV? what is that? I've heard of HDTV but don't know what that is either other than being of higher than DVD in quality.

480p / EDTV is better than SD, but not as good as HD. ED is progressive scan meaning "an image is captured, transmitted and displayed in a path similar to text on a page: line by line, from top to bottom."

SD is interlaced, meaning each field gets a new scan, but only every second line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

Interlacing is really noticed on progressive scan displays (like monitors) when there is movement.

Deinterlacing can make the video look better. It's preferable though to have source video that is already progressive scan, (No filter needed)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:56 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LoL well theres no issues with understanding interlacing as everyone who rips knows that a PAL DVD is 50fps but you rip it to 25fps to remove it.

You obviously should be writing an explanatory guide to SD? ED? & HD? 480p? 480i? but if you do, go back to basics & no more technobabble :googley:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:45 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
BadBugs wrote:
...no more technobabble :googley:

Ha! I actually tried to explain it simply. I'm no expert on the matter. But I can say this:

I have a 20' WS LCD monitor connected to a HD satellite box 2 ways. The first involves converting S-Video to VGA with a TV box. The second is connecting directly to the DVI output of my sat box. My monitor has a button that allows me to switch between VGA & DVI. On a non-HD channel, the difference is like night & day.

If I could somehow capture the DVI output (or the component), I could really make some awesome looking satrips.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:26 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
My 1.46GB AGK encoding took 5 hours and 18 mins. Here is a comparison between the original DVR recorded MPEG-2 file and the encoded AVI:

MPEG-2 capture

AVI capture

The aspect ratio was fixed. The thin black bars on the sides and bottom were cropped. And the video was deinterlaced (check out the eyes of the blond chick). All-in-all, AGK did a good job IMO. Comments welcome.

Movie available here:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=16543

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:39 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
gigantibyte wrote:
Are you guys using dedicated machines for encoding?

Two actually. An Intel Core 2 6300 and an Athlon X2 4200+.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:11 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I'd just like to mention for anyone who reads these old posts, that I have since been convinced to abandon AutoGK. Learning GK was totally worth the effort. I've been adding the SeeSaw function in my AVS scripts, and it has been doing an amazing job at cleaning up the video, The AVIs look better even than the original Mpeg-2 captures. Like bringing a lens into focus in most cases. Encoding time only increased about an hour too.

Anyhow, sorry about the all the crappy AutoGK releases. The above picks look so blurry to me now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:48 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
gigantibyte wrote:
... I have since been convinced to abandon AutoGK.

HA! I fuckin told ya!!!! 8) :wink: :beerchug:

I am just glad that the communties helped you! Makes me feel all warm and... oh wait I shat myself... anyway glad you came round! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
gigantibyte wrote:
I'd just like to mention for anyone who reads these old posts, that I have since been convinced to abandon AutoGK. Learning GK was totally worth the effort. I've been adding the SeeSaw function in my AVS scripts, and it has been doing an amazing job at cleaning up the video, The AVIs look better even than the original Mpeg-2 captures. Like bringing a lens into focus in most cases. Encoding time only increased about an hour too.

:thumbsup: :bliss:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:57 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Yeah... I'm a bit slow sometimes. Took me over a week to realize the people helping me at SBiG were all members of ShitBusters. :P