Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:50 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
gigantibyte wrote:
BadBugs wrote:
The only hard bit comes after youve ripped & its come out grainy, or ghosted, or blocky or interlaced etc. as thats when you have to start adding filters to improve things. Its no slower than AGK to rip with until you apply some filtering.

That's the bummer part. Encoding for 2 hours and getting an unsatisfactory result, then encoding again, and again, and maybe again. (Darnit, I'm starting to whine.)

2 Hours? Dude. :lol: My Evil Dead AFR's took 36 hours each. OK, I'm only running an Athlon XP 2800+ with 1GB of RAM but even a basic GK encode with minimal cleanup will weigh in around 4 hours. Other guys spend many more than 36 hours on much more powerful machines than mine (many of the Shitbusters' releases for instance).

This just proves the point that AGK is not spending the time to produce optimal quality with the rips.

People on this site are more concerned, maybe even pedantic, about quality than most other horror sites but people are also very willing to help you get the very best out of the material you're ripping.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:38 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
ViSCeRaL wrote:
(many of the Shitbusters' releases for instance).

Running a 40+ hour encode for the 10th time now - on an Intel Core 2 6300. :wacky:

Any yes, I know there's a trim function to test filtering. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:05 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
less than 8hrs and I'd probably worry :lol:

@filesize,
900mb reeks of one click ripper territory, i avoid oversized rips like the plague as would most people doing searches when there's targeted releases available.

Remember that not everyone will get the rip through a release thread and 900mb looks awfully missized

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:04 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
GK looks like a great program for someone who knows what they doing. I, on the other hand, am lucky I figured out how to post messages in the forum... :wacky:

I'm still not convinced the quality my 480i source SatRips will improve enough to warrant switching programs. There's only so much you can do with S-Video. (I tried in vain to find a component-in capture card with a hardware MPEG-2 encoder.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:29 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I didn't notice this second page until I hit the reply button.

40 hours!?!?! Wow. That's probably not gonna happen over here. Holy mackerel!

I'm not looking for fame or any kind of recognition. I'm just making personal rips for myself (that look damn close to the recorded VOB originals) and sharing those with people who want them. I'm sure much of the stuff I'll be putting out will be made obsolete by actual DVD rips sooner or later anyway. Just think of my rips as something to hold you over until a better version comes along.

But if I shouldn't tarnish emule with my oversized crappy AGK rips, I'll keep them to myself and just continue leeching off everyone else. I don't want to give anyone any headaches. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:15 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LoL its not the 40hours that sticks out, what did is 'for the 10th time' :o
Hope its worth it Roguester you mad git :lol:

@gigantibyte, don't take the coments the wrong way, you did say you welcomed constructive criticism & thats what youre getting :wink:

We're not saying you have to go to these lengths yourself, but what we are doing is providing you with information as to why most of us prefer to use GK over AGK. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:30 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
BadBugs wrote:
@gigantibyte, don't take the coments the wrong way, you did say you welcomed constructive criticism & thats what youre getting :wink:

We're not saying you have to go to these lengths yourself, but what we are doing is providing you with information as to why most of us prefer to use GK over AGK. :thumbsup:

No worries. You all seem like a friendly lot (in a twisted kind of way). My statement about tarnishing emule was meant as a joke. (Guess I need to work on that...)

I still plan on trying GK again. 40+ hours seems rather steep to me though. I do own 2 PCs, but I'm not sure I could dedicate one for that long. How many passes is that? 20?

A problem I foresee, is jobs that are waiting for GK encoding, could start to pile up fast. Tonight for instance I'm grabbing "The Immoral Three (1975)", tomorrow it's "The Curse of the Living Corpse (1964)", then maybe "The Wrong Woman (1995)" the day after. If I find more than 5 movies per week, I'm in trouble.

Really, I thought my greatest "crime" was letting movies like those above pass by before. (Yesterday I missed grabbing "Dogs (1976)" because I was busy trying to get my new capture card working.) I never dreamed file size would be an issue, since when I look for a rare movie on emule, I'm happy just to find it.

BTW, does anyone here like old king fu movies? I think I've seen a few playing that may not be on emule.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:30 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
gigantibyte wrote:
BTW, does anyone here like old king fu movies?

Who is King Fu? :P :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:24 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
How long it takes is subjective. It has a lot to do with the speed of your CPU & amount of RAM & how strong the filtering youre using.

Say you have an athlon x2 4200 with 2gig of ram, running an unfiltered 2 pass should take around 2 hrs. If you run a good degrain filter with it then this could take around 17hrs, but if like I had to do with Kung Fu Vampire Killers, you run a super strong deblocking script alongside some other filters then you are going to go beyond 40hrs ( took me 43 but was expected to take 48 ).

There seems to be filtering that can fix virtually any flaws in the source & how far youre willing to go depends on the individual & how close to a perfectionist they are.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:18 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
gigantibyte wrote:
I didn't notice this second page until I hit the reply button.

40 hours!?!?! Wow. That's probably not gonna happen over here. Holy mackerel!

I'm not looking for fame or any kind of recognition. I'm just making personal rips for myself (that look damn close to the recorded VOB originals) and sharing those with people who want them. I'm sure much of the stuff I'll be putting out will be made obsolete by actual DVD rips sooner or later anyway. Just think of my rips as something to hold you over until a better version comes along.

That's how it always starts and before you know you're totally anal about little things that bother you in the finished rip. ;)
Don't be discouraged - just install GK and get started and see where you get from there. BB's guide is a good basis for your first rips.
This is a very frienly place and you'll get plenty of help. :)

BadBugs wrote:
LoL its not the 40hours that sticks out, what did is 'for the 10th time' :o
Hope its worth it Roguester you mad git :lol:

I'm working on Death Race 2000 SE and I'm very happy with the result so far. But it has some nasty halos. I managed to reduce them but can't seem to get rid off the echos they cause.
When it come to detail/noise the rips looks fine if you ask me:

Unfiltered/filtered:

What makes the script so slow is the combination of removenoiseMC, MVDegrain and Seesaw. That's 40+ hours on an Athlon X2 4200+ using MT mode 4. Both cores @ 100% load. :o

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:47 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
^Rogue^ wrote:
What makes the script so slow is the combination of removenoiseMC, MVDegrain and Seesaw. That's 40+ hours on an Athlon X2 4200+ using MT mode 4. Both cores @ 100% load. :o

I never did quite figure out how to get both cores working. elguaxo mentioned it a while back but tbh I didnt understand what he was saying :?

You've cleaned that up nicely, shame about those halos, but what is puzzling me is why you dont cut the section of vob out that the screens are from & use that to test the filters on instead of spending 400+ hours :suicide:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:01 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Maybe the filter affects different parts of the movie in a different way and he just want to make sure whether the filter is good for the entire movie. :wacky:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
BadBugs wrote:
^Rogue^ wrote:

I never did quite figure out how to get both cores working. elguaxo mentioned it a while back but tbh I didnt understand what he was saying :?

You've cleaned that up nicely, shame about those halos, but what is puzzling me is why you dont cut the section of vob out that the screens are from & use that to test the filters on instead of spending 400+ hours :suicide:

You don't even have to cut it off, you can use trim to make a partial encode. I did that to test different dehalo options somewhere between versions 7 and 8 I believe. :)

Usually I can't be bothered (plus I want the bitrate allocation the movie is gonna end up with in my test encodes) but I'll do it again when I resume work on this. :)

Quote:
I never did quite figure out how to get both cores working. elguaxo mentioned it a while back but tbh I didnt understand what he was saying

You need an MT capable version of avisynth and have to replace a dll IIRC. And then basically add a command in your script. There are some filters/operations that don't work with it though. There's a topic on doom9. :)

It's certainly worth it, usually my dual core rigs idle at about 50% load when I'm encoding. Now I get 100% and twice the speed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:57 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
King Fu? Legendary ruler of the Ming Lee dynasty. :lol:

Hmmm... Increasing my encoding time x20 to achieve perhaps a 10%-20% improvement in quality. Let me mull that over during the first 5 40-hour GK encodings of a single movie. :wacky:

You guys are all trying to preserve the quality of the DVDs. Heck, by the sound of it, improve it even. Way to go! My source is crappy to begin with, and not deserving of the same efforts. On my next releases I will add screens of the VOBs I encoded from. Feel free to point out all the flaws. (Like those "find the differences" drawings found in some newspapers.) I won't take it personally.

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:20 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Thanks Rogue, I'll look into that :D
I'm using avisynth 2.57 atm but got no idea if its MT capable or not.

gigantibyte wrote:
You guys are all trying to preserve the quality of the DVDs. Heck, by the sound of it, improve it even.

You got it exactly there. What you will find is that most of these filtered GK ripped AVI's done by the experienced members of this site are actually better quality than the original DVD 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:41 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Which is easier to achieve when you start out with a crappy source to begin with. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:13 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
btw, although filtering is brilliant, over filtering is a terrible thing to do.

Can't count how many over sharpened or horrendously blurred rips there are out there. :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:19 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Ah. It seems that improving the source is the big difference between using GK and AGK. I've never judged my encodings with that standard. I'm usually happy at the "totally watchable" level of quality. Most of the people I share DVDs with are still using SD TV sets.

Last edited by gigantibyte on Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:23 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I'll say it before anyone else does LOL.... depends what youre choosing to watch them on. It doesnt bother me so much as I dont have a flashy new HDTV, but I know others do & I guess sooner or later we'll all have them & thats when the quality of the rip becomes more important.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:28 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
My biggest hope to improve quality is finding a component capture device. I don't believe any amount of filtering can ever make 480i look like 480p.