Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:12 am  Post subject: Mistakes you can make...

Site Admin
Ever suggested that Jesus might not have actually existed to a Catholic? :o

My recommendation to everyone is just don't bother.

I've made this mistake and its amazing how all science, fact and history is completely reversed to the position where everything is proven and then its then the job to disprove something actually existed/happened. It only seems to happen for religion... odd that :lol:

Frankly, I don't care what people choose to believe, up to the point where they press their view onto people as fact and expect no scrutiny.

Anyone fallen into this pit or is it just me? The guy emailed me a link to a 1st century Christian fundamentalist Jewish convert "documenting" jesus' existence nearly 100 years after the fact as evidence he was real and the bible must "be true".

My jaw literally dropped... especially when he claims to be a history buff and enjoys reading about the world wars. My points about reliabilities of sources just went on deaf ears, as did why he was suddenly working backwards and trying to defend a viewpoint rather than prove it.

I've got nothing against believers, its just the way he went off on one when i indicated there wasn't actually much to go on regarding a pretty much fictious character.

Anyway, anyone fallen into this trap... or anything similar?

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 am  Post subject: Re: Mistakes you can make...

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Frankly, I don't care what people choose to believe, up to the point where they press their view onto people as fact and expect no scrutiny.

Agreed.

I once told a teenager that I didn't believe in god and he cried. That count?

I usually don't even bother. History is so polluted with lies and half-truths. It is like a movie that is "Based on a true story". :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I once told a teenager that I didn't believe in god and he cried. That count?

It not only counts, it made me smile :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
People who preach to YOU will never listen to what you want to preach to them.

You can quote me on that :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:10 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Around xmas whilst working away I dropped in on my ex to see my 7 yr old son & she had a coupla visitors... Mormons, uggh!

I told my boy that I didnt want him growing up in a religious cult & that once they had gone we would hit the wacky warehouse, what did he do? He went in & told them to go & stop trying to talk his mum into a joining a cult coz he wanted to go out :lol:

Did I get into trouble for that one :jesus: :googley:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:18 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
very true, but is "actually, I'm pretty sure what a fictitious character thinks doesn't account to much" preaching? :googley:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:47 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Spud, it's your opinion so sure it is. :argue:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LMAO I now never ever talk about religion. I do not believe, but I have no issues with what others believe, as long as they do not try to convert me.

I once made the mistake of telling our local vicar I did not wish to worship a false God, that was seriously amusing, he went quite mental at me. The wife was not so impressed, it was our meeting to discuss our marriage. He refused to marry us after that.

I also have the misfortune of living next to some Jehovah Witnesses, now they piss me off on a huge scale. They simply will not accept the fact I do not believe, they actually try to annoy me now. If I am out in my garden with my dog and they hear me, they actually start chatting to each other about me, and make sure I can hear it!!!!! They are total wankers.

God squad do my head in, they absolutely will not listen to any arguement, talk about having a closed mind. I am always open minded about pretty much anything, but these people have a strange desire to put all faith in something that may not even exist. If he does exist he does absolutely fuck all, maybe he is a sicko, sitting up there watching all the cruelty in the world.

I am gonna shut up now because religion fucking annoys the shit out of me. I could rant for days LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I like these christians, they make me laugh.

http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1

:lol:

Quote:
I am a bit troubled. I believe my son has a girlfriend, because she left a dirty magazine with men in it under his bed. My son is only 16 and I really don't think he's ready to date yet. What's worse is that he's sneaking some girl to his room behind my back. I need help, God! I want my son to stop being so secretive!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Holy fucking shit, are those real Vis? Some people are real fucked in the head. Whilest I agree homosexuality is not what nature intended, I have no problems with gay people. They don't hurt anyone else and have the right to choose what they want to be.

Quote:
Just recently my son Bobby came out to me. I had been worried for awhile. His teachers said most of his grades were slipping and he seemed depressed and withdrawn.

Bobby said he'd been hiding it for awhile because he was afraid I would reject him. I sat him down and told him that I loved him and that God loved him, but that his salvation was in danger if he did not resist his unnatural tempations. I told him how being gay would mean he would live a shorter life, and that if he couldnt change his orientation he could be celibate like most the ex-gays are. He started crying saying something along the lines of "I knew you wouldnt understand! You're just like everyone else!" before running to his room and slamming the door.

What did I do wrong? I dont want to lose my son, but I fear I already have. I talked it over with his therapist, who had the ludicrous idea that homosexuality was unchangable and that trying to repress could lead to lots of psychological damage (I've dropped him and will try to be finding another therapist with more moral beliefs). I wouldnt be surprised if he's the one who's feeding my son all the homosexual propaganda about how its 'ok' to be gay. That, or how homosexuality has engulfed the media, making it seem 'cool' and 'hip' and how they were just another oppressed minority. You didnt have to worry about seeing two men making out on tv at my age! I dont want to sound like a fanatic, but Im worried what other effects will come out of this increasingly secular, immoral society obsessed with filth.

Am I too late? Or is it possible to save my son

[Note: the boy eventually took his own life.]

Betty, Unidiversal [Comments (483)] [2006-Dec-10]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:49 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
^^^^^^^^^ That shit has actually annoyed me. How can people be that narrow minded?

Crap like that is one of the reasons I do not believe. At the end of the day I want my children to be happy, they can be who or what they want as long as they are good people and treat others right.

I appreciate my morals and attitudes are based on Christianity, but I like to think I moved beyond that years ago. I generally live by the motto that I treat others how I wish to be treated, fairly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LMFAO, spot the mistake and laugh at the awesome brainpower.

Quote:
I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie

JohnR7, Christian forums [Comments (271)] [2006-Nov-04]

Obviously his God did not endow him with a sufficient IQ.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Quote:
One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.

Actually I don't know what to make of the above. Is this meant seriously by the poster? Or tongue-in-cheek?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I believe in God and I'm going to pray for you all tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:21 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Jack wrote:
I believe in God and I'm going to pray for you all tonight.

Quick, let's don our black robes and hoods. Then let's nail Jack to a large, wooden X and burn him alive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:24 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
@Jack, don't bother praying on my behalf. I am already damned LOL

@wargand, that giant outside source of energy sounds like the sun. I think scientists may already be aware of that. Perhaps the poster thinks the earth s flat? As for him saying we started out simple, it appears he stayed that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
TaKYoN wrote:
@wargand, that giant outside source of energy sounds like the sun. I think scientists may already be aware of that. Perhaps the poster thinks the earth s flat? As for him saying we started out simple, it appears he stayed that way.

That's the problem. I'd like to know how many of those posts were meant seriously and how many were just made to make fun of the idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:40 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I don't have any problems with faith. People may believe whatever they like to.

Religion however, is a badly man-made institute meant to oppress people by controlling them through fear (of god) and keep the powerful in power and the poor in poverty.

karstmobile wrote:
History is so polluted with lies and half-truths. It is like a movie that is "Based on a true story". :lol:

Not entirely true. History is comprised of versions of the truth. Everyone has his own version of the truth, and the most powerful/influential people can impose their version onto the masses. This is why people say "History is written by the victors." Very true. An example: everyone knows by atrocities committed by nazis/German soldiers in WWII, but very, very little is know about warcrimes committed by English or American soldiers. Does this mean they did not commit them? Of course not. But: they won the war, so they didn't need to tell people about it.

ViSCeRaL wrote:
I like these christians, they make me laugh.

http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1

:lol:

Quote:
I am a bit troubled. I believe my son has a girlfriend, because she left a dirty magazine with men in it under his bed. My son is only 16 and I really don't think he's ready to date yet. What's worse is that he's sneaking some girl to his room behind my back. I need help, God! I want my son to stop being so secretive!

About this: I think not only religion is to blame for this. These people are also just very fucking stupid. I mean: this woman in the quote TaK posted just indirectly killed her own son. In my opinion you are a total no-brainer when you do such a thing.

About them making you laugh: I understand, but it's also serious business. As you can read, their stupidity costs lives, which I think is a shame. I was totally flabbergasted when reading some of the things posted on that site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:50 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I've actually spoken to this guy on the phone. :)

http://www.timecube.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:53 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
OK, Vis, I've got to admit: some of them are really funny!!

Quote:
[Replying to 'as for not seeing evolution it takes several million years... incase you missed that memo...']

several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years.

Queen of the tigers, Gaia [Comments (156)] [2006-Apr-19]

Oh, and Karst, I'm not gonna read all that. It hurts my eyes. Really.

Last edited by Slayer on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.