Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:28 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

Site Admin
Asian cinema could arguably be the most necessary section; talk to a lot of people and they will tell you of the superior quality of modern Asian horror over western attempts.

There's a very solid case for it in fact :)

Are you watching all the movies before deciding I take it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:47 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Asian cinema could arguably be the most necessary section; talk to a lot of people and they will tell you of the superior quality of modern Asian horror over western attempts.

There's a very solid case for it in fact :)

Are you watching all the movies before deciding I take it?

No, not all. I have seen some before and watched another of them yesterday. But not for the reason to decide whether to show them or not. Just out of curiosity. :)
Ok I am seriously thinking about adding another group of movies now. :wink:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
RedVeil wrote:
TaKYoN wrote:
You have gotta have an asian section. I am not a huge fan by any means, but I have seen quite a few asian horror movies and they almost always keep me going to the end. In fact I would go so far as to say I probably would become a fan at some later date when I have more time to get back into my movies.

So you think I should add another group of movies? I have to think about that first. :roll:

Yes you should my friend. Read spuds comments above, that pretty much sums it up, except I couldn't be arsed to type it all.

They are pretty unique, definitely worth watching, even if you think you do not want to. I thought I would not like them, weird people you know, but they really are superior in many ways.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
Yeah 'Asian' horror is hit or miss really, and if you can deal with the noises they make when yelling at each other (not ignorance, I can't barely watch the UK tv shows cuz of their annoying squawking tendencies), its worth it. Most have superior production, plot, acting, dialogue, and pretty much every other factor in filmmaking, like shock value and experimentation-within-mainstream-aim appeal too.

Just watch 20 Takashi Miike films and you'll see why cinematic and thematic diversity are prevalent much more so than say the US film industry.

Plus they are funnier!

If you think the language barrier might hurt peoples enjoyment at the event, try some decently dubbed (dubs made during initial production is best) like Ichi the Killer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

Site Admin
urrgghhh, even the most decently dubbed version is impossible for me to watch... it just devalues the entire movie. :( I'd suggest subs, it isn't being a prude... dubbing makes films completely unwatchable most if not all times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
urrgghhh, even the most decently dubbed version is impossible for me to watch... it just devalues the entire movie. :( I'd suggest subs, it isn't being a prude... dubbing makes films completely unwatchable most if not all times.

Ok. So I think I will go for "Hair Extensions" and "Ju-on: The Grudge" (as I have that on DVD). What should be the third movie in the group of asian horror movies? No comedy please. :P

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
Kairo (2001)
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

I prefer 'Ju-on' over 'Ju-on: The Grudge'.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

Site Admin
RedVeil wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Ok. So I think I will go for "Hair Extensions" and "Ju-on: The Grudge" (as I have that on DVD). What should be the third movie in the group of asian horror movies? No comedy please. :P

hair extensions is a horror/comedy :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
Wild Zero, although that's a horror/comedy as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
I watched Wild Zero again the other day. I love that movie, even if it is pretty strange.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
karstmobile wrote:
Kairo (2001)
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

I prefer 'Ju-on' over 'Ju-on: The Grudge'.

Woohoo, thanks!!! :beerchug:

Is the following list ok?
- Ju-on: The Curse
- Kairo
- A Tale Of Two Sisters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:38 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Yeah we all know you hate dubs. I personally don't mind them if they actually effort put it into it. And then theres the cases of (mostly Italian) movies that are actually in English (like Dario's Card Player and Mother of Tears) and the Italian language version is dubbed.

But for dubbed asian movies, Ichi is great, the voices are fuckin hilarious!

Everyone will speak english one day anyway :googley:

But I hate reading subs, THEY detract from the film alot more than dubs. Its very distracting to read while trying to watch the cinematography.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:56 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
GrindCallus wrote:
But I hate reading subs, THEY detract from the film alot more than dubs. Its very distracting to read while trying to watch the cinematography.

I have to agree up to a point, If a dubbed version is there, you may think it sucks ass, but at least youre able to watch the film rather than spend half your time reading it. :shadey:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:00 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
@ RedVeil: Yep, those look good, but are just a few of the many I've liked over the years.

@Grind and BadBugs: gotta be careful of the dubs though, sometimes you get different scores/music with the dubbing that totally changes the movie for the worse :matrix:
The faster you read the subs... the less you notice them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
I'm basing this on the fact that my 7yr old boy loves watching films with me... his mum jumps, I laugh & theres a few foreign films he'd love to enjoy but his reading isnt fast enough to watch them yet with him only being a nipper. Classic example would be Pans Labyrinth :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:15 am  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
Yeah, in that case I would go with a dub by choice too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
Having grown up reading subs, I'd go for subs when possible. I read them so fast I don't even notice. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything cinematographical.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

Site Admin
Well kids films, animation, etc. is an obvious exception, but I don't think that would apply to horror films with an adult crowd.

BadBugs wrote:
GrindCallus wrote:

I have to agree up to a point, If a dubbed version is there, you may think it sucks ass, but at least youre able to watch the film rather than spend half your time reading it. :shadey:

actually, i turn it off 9 times out of 10 after about 1 minute. It's unwatchable and distracting; its way more distracting watching a movie that isn't in sync than reading short subtitles that are just below the central picture. Dubbing is WAY more distracting than subbing I'd argue; it distracts from everything paticularly characterisation, acting, plot, and makes a film cheesy and, well unwatchable. Not to mention the hatchet job to the dialogue and soundtrack you'll get.

I can't agree beyond a very simple generalisation that its slightly less natural having to read subs, but I'm not adverse to reading and very, very, very rarely have a problem following a movie on the best of days, and certainly not because of the inclusion of subtitles. Not one of these people that don't understand movies that even the slightest complexity to their plot, so maybe that's it? :)

But be careful, dubs are UNWATCHABLE to just as many people GrindCallus, whilst i doubt subs are unwatchable to people who prefer dubs; i think your really underplaying how distracting dubs are.... Subs can be an annoyance especially if you are a slow reader, but its not something I have trouble reading or following and I don't recall ever having missed anything on screen. Subtitles fall into your central viewpoint just below the main image, cognitively you should have no problem reading them and viewing the entire picture assuming you aren't sat right on the central row of a multiplex cinema screen (but then you won't see the 'cinematography' anyway). Bit more difficult if its not widescreen since you are likely to miss the top of the screen... 16:9 will prove no problems. The only curve ball will be if you are severely dyslexic.

In the uk, they don't dub cinema releases.. i've only seen special runs that were highly unpopular :)

I have to mirror these two viewpoints myself:
Quote:
The faster you read the subs... the less you notice them.

Quote:
Having grown up reading subs, I'd go for subs when possible. I read them so fast I don't even notice. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything cinematographical.

I have never missed on screen action because of subtitles... not once (that i can recall, and i watch movies went i'm completely blattered after heavy drinking sessions).

Back to the student crowd, I do not for a second think they will lack the attention span to read subtitles nor will it deviate from the movie in the slightest way. You might get people laughing at something that's supposed to be a straight out horror if you stick a pathetic dub attempt over the top, or possibly even walk out for a 90min smoke... I probably would and i don't smoke ;)

Its all a pointless argument since those movies do not have decent dubs, they are dreadful in fact :lol:

ps. I think i recall Takyon (or someone) stating one case in favour of dubs, and that was because he found listening to the Thai language like listening to some chipmunks on acid :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Devil, Probably
Having read through the latest posts (except spud's, which was way toooooo loooong :mrgreen:) I will stick with the three suggested by karstmobile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror night at the dorm

The Ancient One
He, you must be under 20 to say something like "this post is too long to read" :mrgreen: