Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:22 pm  Post subject: Um...What does the Producer even do....?

Blood Sucking Freak
So, I just seen an advert saying "From the producer of..." and some movies where I work it says "from the producer of SAW".

Well what does this mean? They don't write it, or direct, I thought a producer just sorted out the budget, "made things happen". Are they taking this from the producer of, on to make money from a famous movie? Or does the producer do something decent....???/

Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Um...What does the Producer even do....?

The Devil, Probably
Quote:
What does a Producer do?
A Producer initiates, coordinates, supervises and controls, either on his own authority, or subject to the authority of an employer, all aspects of the motion-picture and/or television production process, including creative, financial, technological and administrative. A Producer is involved throughout all phases of production from inception to completion, including coordination, supervision and control of all other talents and crafts, subject to the provisions of their collective bargaining agreements and personal service contracts.

It varies from film to film though. Some are "involved" more, i.e. fuck shit up. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Um...What does the Producer even do....?

Blood Sucking Freak
:drunk:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 am  Post subject: Re: Um...What does the Producer even do....?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Well, the are often the ones who take the script and get financing (from the executive producer). So, you can, at least, say that they believed in the idea, even if it wasn't theirs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:00 am  Post subject: Re: Um...What does the Producer even do....?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
A film producer creates the conditions for making movies. The producer initiates, coordinates, supervises and controls matters such as fundraising, hiring key personnel, and arranging for distributors. The producer is involved throughout all phases of the filmmaking process from development to completion of a project.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Um...What does the Producer even do....?

Dead But Dreaming
And thereby, you can often conclude that since this producer was interested in this other film, you might be able to expect something of the same quality or some similarities in this new one. I think. Which is why they don't hesitate to bring up Tarantino on True Romance for instance.