Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
The question is why would I want to? Steam works perfectly fine, it has a small memory footprint and hasn't posed any problems. Just as importantly I don't need to take my pc game collection with me to spain, and i can talk to people without going through all that alt+tab shite.

@GTA IV, looks like they have a memory leak. I didn't realise this game was ported by a different studio to the others (Rockstar Toronto rather than Rockstar North). I could play fine for 10mins, then it would return me to my desktop with an out of memory error. I turned on a ram optimiser and i can play for a couple of hours (most i've tried so far), turned off some unnessacary services too. Bit silly since i've got 4GB of ram in this machine.

From what i read, they have a texture loading bug which doesn't free up memory after the texture is no longer needed. Hope steam rolls out a patch for it :)

Gameplay wise its much, much, much better than the console versions. Controls aren't overly tight but they are much better than using a pad :) I bumped up to a respectable draw distance too without going under ~28fps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:39 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Skull Full Of Maggots
Have you tried adding the commands -nomemrestrict -norestrictions to the exe?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
no, but i'm not even sure it was the memory leak now (which I'm pretty sure there is).... I turned back on my page file and turned off the memory optimiser and I've been playing for hours and hours. I think it was my ram being overclocked, i forgot but i actually returned its clock speed back to 800 from 810 and changed my FSB settings. Its looking like it was a combination of my overclock settings and the fact its managing memory poorly.

I'll try that if it crashes again, but judging by the length of play I've been doing, its not overly likely... I've been driving like a nut job :lol:

@steam, this is what i mean about the messenger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDibTREUOo
I took the clip with my new phone as an excuse to use it :lol: I just wish that it could talk to people on msn. I was going to show the shift+tab overlay but i ran into the back of a taxi and killed my cousin holding my phone at the same time.... see they ban phone calls whilst your driving for a reason.

But i checked the folder, you can just launch the exes outside of steam if you are that way inclined... I just don't see the point. Maybe if you have no friends d0c :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:48 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
Just an update been playing GTA pretty solidly and it fine now; I've just had one crash out when i'd pretty much destroyed everything in sight, whilst speeding off a jump on a motorbike :lol:
I think it was just my RAM overclocking since there's a memory leak, i'm guessing it was pretty heavy on the ram access :(

Anyway, seems okay... they should have just tried the game on more configurations; i'd fire the entire test team if it were my game these cretins hadn't tested properly.

As for the game itself, its a dissapointment... they've not updated it signficantly and it fails to live up to GTA: San Andreas for me that was pretty much the same, but you had huge sprawling landscape which was just better than liberty city. As mentioned, gun fights are a lot better on the pc too so if you got a decent machine its the one to get.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
and i completed it so I can say the story wasn't great, the environments were no where near as GTA: SA, the improvements were mainly graphical and small interaction changes but nothing innovative. It felt like a point release not a major update... rockstar played it very safe on this game and avoided any innovation.

Next game it needs more sandbox, sprawling environments, more things to do that aren't micromanaging the main character's cock / dating, and the friend thing/phone was nice but ultimately a bit shit... next game needs to do something like moving up in the ranks then across the city/state in a gang warfare style sandbox (ala. GTA: SA, but more intense and in depth), with similar things. Stuff like base-jumping and climbing would be great and eat up some time too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
Im having a hard time understanding how I can override the automatic graphic settings in gta... would you care to explain spud? I put the -norestrictions thing in, but maybe I misspelled it, or didnt put it in the right place, or whatever... cause I still cant choose the resolution freeley, and textures are stuck at low... =( and whats up with the anti aliasing? when there are cut scenes, there seems to be some, but when I get to play, its all jagged edges... =(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
I didn't use any hacks, etc. command line arguments or anything. I bought it from steam, I put the loader into windows 2000 compatability mode since i use vista 64, then I loaded the game and went to options. I selected the resolution i wanted (it matched my native), and I put everything to mid to max (ie. draw distance 50, etc.). Worked fine after i figured out my bios ram settings weren't very smart :lol:

As for the AA, you can bump it up in your driver settings and iirc in the graphics menu but i'm in spain now so can't check.

btw, the consoles don't AA very much, but they have the blur filter activated to cover the fact. Hit the p key on your keyboard. This turns on/off motion blur. Personally, I wasn't a big fan. Motion blur is usually a bit crap, and a technique to cover up things on the consoles. Only exception that springs to mind are simulating concussions, etc. or on crysis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:58 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
Hitler is outraged about the bad pc port of GTA 4!