Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:47 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
That happens with every game pretty much, this is just a big jump up. Happened with bioshock, crysis etc.
Hell it happens with the consoles too, the xbox red rings frequently with heat problems.

The pc verison allows you to ramp it up even further :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:22 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Skull Full Of Maggots
What is your rig Spud?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
My one at home is (from the top of my head):
E6600 Quad Core 2 Duo (and a partridge in a pear tree)
4 GB 800Mhz DDR2
8800 GTX 768mb DDR3 *I think*
and a water cooling system for it.

Ain't touched it in a while but it could play crysis and bioshock last year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:17 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
with that you could send rockets to mars, fire of atom bombs, feed everyone in africa,make a cure for cancer.... but not run gta4.... damn! :suicide:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?
Request Territory

Request Territory
Well in fact the Razor crack is in fact legit, and 0x00001 or whatever their group name is, they just stole the FeDOR launcher, which seems to be a correct launcher and working just fine....but here a few comments from people who actually bought the game...honestly I have it on console, so I had no reason to mess with the PC edition.

Most users are pissed about GTA IV and it sucks, even if you payed for it.

Quote:
Bought the game 3 days ago and....
It's terrible.
Noticed the DRAM when i started to install and was gutted. It doesn't have as bad of DRAM as the new EA games but still quite bad.

More to the point. The game does not work for many PC people. MY self with a brand new computer get crashes all the time and i am not the only one if you believe the GTA forums. Issues with graphics, DRAM and bad game code.

Installed a brand new driver from nvidia today that was released specifically to improve GTA4 but it hasn't helped.

The DRAM securom has to contact a server before the game starts to verify the copy of my game but it fails half the time.

Last but not least the game is badly coded/optimized.
Doesn't matter what hardware you have it won't run well on your system. Low FPS and missing textures are regular in the game regardless on what settings you use when running the game.

Its just a very badly ported console game that is poorly optimized for the PC.

I have a Core2Quad processor that runs at 3,4 GHz.
4 GB DDR3 -1666 MHz
EVGA GTX 280 FTW
Monitor EIZO 24" Wide.

I can play Crysis with all settings on MAX (except AA only 4x) with a resolution of 1900:1200 no problems.
GTA4 wont even let me max out the graphics and i get horrible FPS.
Strange thing is when i check the state of my G.card during game play in GTA4 i see it's not even stretching it's legs and only running on 50% of capacity.

Thankfully a patch has been announced to appear in the next few days by Rockstar, but it will only affect the instability issues and graphical issues.

Hope they get it sorted in the end.

The few times i have gotten it to run and actually gotten to play it my feelings are mixed.
The world so far seems ok, but the driving in my opinion is bad. The driving was the most fun part in the previous versions but now its just irritating. The cars can't turn at high speeds so you end up missing all your exits.
The strange thing is when you turn normally your wheels can't get any grip for the turn, but when you use the hand break you get to much grip and spin.

I will never bye a game with DRAM on it and will be more observant about it's presence on my future purchases. I have been faithful to the GTA series but they lost my future money with this release.
Just wish i hadn't purchased this one and downloaded it in stead.

Solutions for GTA IV fatal errors, crashes and performance issues:
Filenetworks Blog

Games for Windows - LIVE 2.0 : Offline/standalone installer download
Quote:
Games for Windows – Live is an online service that bridges Microsoft’s Live services with Games for Windows titled PC games. Personally, I’m NOT a fan of this application. But whether we like having GFW – Live installed or not does not matter. It is now a mandatory requirement to play some of the new games such as Grand Theft Auto 4. These games will prompt you to update your existing version of GFW – Live or will ask to download and install it before playing. This could be a real nuisance, specially if you have a low bandwidth connection or LiMiTED connectivity to the internet. The problem gets worse when you have multiple PCs. Hence we have included download links to Games for Windows - LIVE 2.0 Redistributable package – you will be able to download the standalone installer (updated 4th Dec 2008) once and then install it on as many PCs as you like even on those without or LiMiTED internet connectivity.

This package will install LIVE Redistributable Games for Windows that enables the in-game Games for Windows - LIVE experience as well as the Games for Windows - LIVE Client that enables the out-of-game experience, including Games for Windows - LIVE Marketplace.

Live 2.0 Full Installer

Live 2.0 Full With Extras

Quote:
nVIDIA releases GTA 4 optimized display drivers

If you were disappointed with Grand Theft Auto 4 performance on your nVIDIA display adapter, here is some good news. nVIDIA have released a set of drivers specifically designed to enhance Grand Theft Auto 4 game play performance on nVIDIA hardware. The new drivers carry version number 180.84.

Filenetworks

Also, there have been news of a patch coming out soon to fix alot of the issues at hand, but by now, most GTA IV buyers are too alienated to even install it again...time to buy a shrink rapper and take the damn thing back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:31 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
jesus christ.... its even more problem than i though it could be.... nividia is now forced to make new gfx drivers becouse rockstar cant program or convert console games to pc.... when will this shit end?, never i guess.... microshit are also going to bring their xbox live to pc "Live is an online service that bridges Microsoft’s Live services with Games for Windows titled PC games." another gate between you and internet, another excuse to earn even more money.... its getting better and better, right!... there is no shame in pirating games anymore, after this abuse and maltreat of their customers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:38 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Mod of the Living Dead
In fairness, both Nvidia and ATI have always released new drivers in order to optimise big name games immediately after their release, nothing like the facts getting in the way of a good rant though :lol:

I think this GTA thing has been blown out of all proportion, it's obviously a big seller and therefore there will be more problems, although not necessarily a higher %age, just a higher number. Combine that with a game designed to act weirdly when pirated and that will ensure some good old fashioned, ill informed internet ranting.

Out of interest, those people this thread complaining about how GTA runs, have you bought it?
To clarify I didn't and have no intention of doing so :lol: although I might pick up the new PoP, I MAYpick up GTA IV when it's cheap, but no way is the game worth full retail IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:58 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
"have you bought it?"

nope.. only tested it when i was over at a friends place, its a very buggy game...

Nvidia update their drivers a couple of times a year, but this time its done specially for gta4.... when i make a game next time i am also going to whine about it at nvidia, its better to blame them rather to admit that i cant code....

:googley:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:24 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Mod of the Living Dead
d0c wrote:
Nvidia update their drivers a couple of times a yearmonth, but this time its done specially for gta4.... when i make a game next time i am also going to whine about it at nvidia, its better to blame them rather to admit that i cant code....

:googley:

Corrected for ya :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:05 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
yeah sure you 'tested it' at your friends house, billy no-mates :lol:

I'm picking up a copy in the uk, steam costs too much and play.com has sold out... so i'll grab it at tescos or something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:18 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
you have been warned... you are just going to pull out all your hair in frustration trying to install and play gta4....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:10 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
prince of persia is out:
http://www.rlslog.net/princeofpersia-skidrow/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:25 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Nice!
looks friggin sweet. Hope it got some of the atmosphere of the first remake, or even the original! :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:51 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
i thought pop was okay, and i like my action adventure games in a big way, but i found the combat system rather weak and it kind of repetative... do you know if they've fixed it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
from what Ive read in reviews, the combat system now is also very simple, yet supposedly super cinematic.
the game has gotten some bad rep for being too easy, but I figure its worth an quick playthrough, as mindless entertainment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:13 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
everyone, stop... i've discovered something. I know why the PC market is not doing 'well' for publishers!
Nowhere sell's f*cking pc games! I got back yesterday and went to Tescos, Sainsburys, Woolworths, and two independant (dedicated) games shops and the only store to have any pc games was Tescos. It had a WoW expansion from two years ago and something released in January that i forget what it was.

I think i solved that little mystery for them, the cretins!

Well, I just checked steam and very, very recently they just:
a) turned on european currency
b) discounted GTA IV
c) updated their software.

So i bought it in british pounds off team. Its just downloading now at 1 MB/s :wacky:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:40 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171831

Retail Copies of Prince of Persia on PC have no DRM

Quote:
Digital Rights Management in PC games became a big media issue after the Great Spore Debacle of 08. Now Ubisoft, at least, seems to have chosen not to risk any bad PR on account of it -- they've revealed that unlike Assassin's Creed and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 before it, retail copies of Prince of Persia for the PC do not have any DRM.

Oddly enough, as Chris "UbiRazz" Easton explains it in a Prince of Persia forum post on the topic (via Shacknews), it almost seems like the decision was made as an experiment to test the logic of consumers who boycott the use of DRM. "A lot of people complain that DRM is what forces people to pirate games but as PoP PC has no DRM we'll see how truthful people actually are. Not very, I imagine," Easton wrote.

So will Prince of Persia go on to be any more pirated now that it lacks DRM? Any less? Will it's stance on DRM actually have anything to do with it? Hopefully Ubisoft will go on to reveal pirating statistics for the title down the line, and we can see how the experiment went.

If only there was somewhere to buy it! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
good for ubisoft at least they dont piss on their customers.... at the moment the pc spesifications is the drm for me...

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:24 pm  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

Site Admin
You sure you aren't using DRM as an excuse? :p

Just bought the crysis expansion on steam too, and Rome: Total War Gold :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:49 am  Post subject: Re: GTA 4 & Prince of Persia released yet?

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
You sure you aren't using DRM as an excuse? :p

Just bought the crysis expansion on steam too, and Rome: Total War Gold :)

and these you can play without steam?...