Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:20 am  Post subject: Good DVD stores in Portugal and Barcelona? Anyone?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
This is a long shot, but anyone who lives in either Portugal or Barcelona and are able to help me out will have my gratitude.

My girlfriend is traveling to Portugal this next saturday, so I thought I'd ask her to go on a DVD hunt for me while there, thing is I don't know a single place she could go for my DVDs there. I know big department stores like Worten, Fnac and whatnot. But I was thinking someone with a real Horror soul could give me a heads up as to where I can find the cool DVDs, more genre oriented, more obscure stuff and so on.

She'll be mostly in Lisbon, but really if it comes to that any place in Portugal will do as far as it's worth the trip, she'll be there for a full month. If you guys can provide me a website, or phone number, email... that'd be even better as I could either check their stuff or contact them beforehand, maybe to have something put aside for me.

And she'll also be spending a day or so in Barcelona, so Spanish friends please let me know if there's any good place for DVDs in Barcelona, let me know what they're good at, it could be more traditional horror, could have only Spanish DVDs or both Spanish and imports. I just want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Thanks a lot in advance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 am  Post subject: Re: Good DVD stores in Portugal and Barcelona? Anyone?

Demon Of The Abyss
In Portugal I only know the ones you allready mentioned, Fnac being the best. If you're lucky you can find some gems there. The others aren´t so good. I usually go to the Fnac of "Colombo" a shopping mall in Lisbon. Sorry for not being more helpful (I usually get the good stuff here).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Good DVD stores in Portugal and Barcelona? Anyone?

Site Admin
Well in spain, DVD prices are artificially high. I am also rather disappointed that the native / Spanish film industry doesn't get pimped out as well as it should.

For DVDs in malaga, there's a couple of independents/music shops with some semi-decent selections, euroski has a large section but its usually just latest releases and box sets, there's FNEC and El Corte Ingles (they have seperate music/electronics stores). I imagine in Barcelona there'll be a lot more independents and they are probably the better places to go.

There's no zavvi/hmv/etc. equivalent though, not that i've noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Good DVD stores in Portugal and Barcelona? Anyone?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
thanks for the info, I'll definitely be able to come up with a list of possibilities putting together the bits of information you provided.

Quote:
I am also rather disappointed that the native / Spanish film industry doesn't get pimped out as well as it should.

While searching online stores like dvdgo.com and a couple others I found myself wondering exactly the same, wow for one thing I hoped to find all Spanish less known movies that I knew of but yet hadn't been released anywhere else, turned out they pretty much weren't released there neither.

For the Spanish movies I'll settle for special editions for Jaume Balaguero's movies, suchs as REC and Darkness and nothing much really, at least as far as I could dig.