Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
RedVeil wrote:
TaKYoN wrote:
Union, even the funniest things get irritating after a while.

From a personal POV I like to rename files for my mate. He lives in Spain now and has no net access so I forward DVD's onto him. Obviously I know what the files are on my machine, but he does not know so I end up renaming everything to keep things simple for him.

Does he really need that? :roll:

No, he does not NEED it, but I am a facilitating kind of guy. He has no English TV and no net access so he has little idea of what the current movies and TV series are. Also, I send him a pretty large amount of stuff, around 15 DVD's of AVI's a month, saves him lots of time.

I am just a loyal friend, I put alot of effort into my friendships and choose carefully. That is why I do it, because he would do the same for me.

Plus I think I have a bit of OCD when it comes to shit like that. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
jesus christ, put it on hold oprah! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
What? I am just a community spirited guy. I deserve a Government grant for the work I do.

I actually try to help people in the community who are pretty comparable to most of the denizens of this pit of rotten pants.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Devil, Probably
Please explain this:

Test.[1999]
Test.[1999].avi
[1999]
Test.(1999)
Test.(1999).avi
(1999)

Why are the brackets in line 2 removed?

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
its the word censor on the board, it strips out retaggers, etc, its supposed to remove .(xxxx). -> .xxxx. too, but it doesn't seem to work.

Its been there for a long time, but i thought phpbb3 had killed it :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
ah, i know why, its using html for () now, but [] has no uri/html equivalent. According to the rules, it changes .[xxxx]. -> .xxxx.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
lol, i censor myself too:

[spudthedestroyer]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Devil, Probably
The HTML equivalent for the brackets [] are: [ and ] :wink:

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
hmm, well phpbb doesn't encode them :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Devil, Probably
:matrix: : : : : : : : phpBB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
i like phpbb, phpbb3 is a bit of a blag. phpbb2 used to do all of its markup on post rather than mess with the data going into the database. They refactored so now it does some messing with the saved data for certain markup :(

Still, its way better than all other boards :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
Here's something else that's related to releasing I'm pondering, this was posted in a thread for The Spirit (2008):
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Then why does every man and his dog put this on their ripping list? Why rip a DVD when the BRrip is already out? Why release four AFRs of this? Do people not check what's out there before re-ripping?

There's countless movies in existance, many that don't get ANY rips, yet everytime anything with a budget comes out every sod under the sun rips it. Okay its nice to have variety, but many of these rips offer nothing but a downgrade over the previous versions! And releasing another rip is actually negative since you are thinning sources across multiple rips.

Are the rippers not actually checking what is available before they release? On emule its destructive to re-release the same movie over and over again because it does nothing but disrupt and reduce the number of sources for a film.

Don't get me wrong here, its good to have a 1cd, a 1/3rd dvdr and maybe something bigger, but why are there FOUR 1/3rd DVDrs? I could understand two, say one dvd and one bluray, but FOUR?

I have no expectations of this to change and realise that some of these are external to any p2p network, but I thought i'd bring it up for any internal rippers... why not spend your bandwidth making a rip of something that is badly ripped or simply has no rip available? :)

Just a train of thought, no real offence to any dupers, just maybe some reflection?

Unnecessary DUPEs are bad, m'kay ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Here's something else that's related to releasing I'm pondering, this was posted in a thread for The Spirit (2008):
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Then why does every man and his dog put this on their ripping list? Why rip a DVD when the BRrip is already out? Why release four AFRs of this? Do people not check what's out there before re-ripping?

There's countless movies in existance, many that don't get ANY rips, yet everytime anything with a budget comes out every sod under the sun rips it. Okay its nice to have variety, but many of these rips offer nothing but a downgrade over the previous versions! And releasing another rip is actually negative since you are thinning sources across multiple rips.

Are the rippers not actually checking what is available before they release? On emule its destructive to re-release the same movie over and over again because it does nothing but disrupt and reduce the number of sources for a film.

Don't get me wrong here, its good to have a 1cd, a 1/3rd dvdr and maybe something bigger, but why are there FOUR 1/3rd DVDrs? I could understand two, say one dvd and one bluray, but FOUR?

I have no expectations of this to change and realise that some of these are external to any p2p network, but I thought i'd bring it up for any internal rippers... why not spend your bandwidth making a rip of something that is badly ripped or simply has no rip available? :)

Just a train of thought, no real offence to any dupers, just maybe some reflection?

Unnecessary DUPEs are bad, m'kay ;)

Spud comes to bring the pain.... :lol: :wacky:
I had a conversation like this a few days ago with a friend of mine who despite his stacks of vhs horror flicks, insists INSISTS on perfecting his BR Dark Knight rip for release. Paging Mr. Swift-100's of people have beat you to it. I tried telling him that the world would be a much better place with, say, more sources for flicks like Phantom of the Mall Eric's Revenge or even Robot Ninja(which i'm about to fuckin steal if he doesn't rip this :shadey: ), but for some reason that does not compute. Hence more unneeded rips to add to the dump.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
No I understand DVDrip -> BRrip, there's progression there (although arguably not in the parent formats).

No in the spirit it went like this:
1cd
1cd proper
1cd dupe
1/3rd DVDrip
1/3rd DVDrip
1/3rd BRrip
1/3rd BRrip

Why the 1cd dupe, why 4 afrs? Why not 1cd, 1cd proper (cos its scene fuckups as usual), 1x 1/3rd DVDrip and 1x 1/3rd BRrip... or if they came out at the same time, drop the 1/3rd DVDrip.

Its just silly, but it happens everytime a movie with a slight budget comes out, then there's scores of independent and rare movies that don't get a single rip!

Take Halloween, there must be ten rips of that!