Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:44 pm  Post subject: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
This has always been a pet peve for me, but can anyone clue me into why its so hard for people to use a decent filename on movie releases? Even TDX allows for some retarded release names because the naming convention isn't always applied to the file inside the archives.

But, its always baffled the hell out of me why on earth people use all these utterly ridiculous filename 'standards', and even in some places people go out of their way renaming sensible releases to something utterly stupid! I'm going to take a release and change the release group / releaser to "gubbins", as not to embaress anyone, and the release to "Friday the 13th".

This would make the optimum and sensible name:
Friday.The.13th.1980.DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi

It portrays every bit of vital info and nothing else, no pirate flags, no javscript, no arabic characters; optimum and clean. The name of the movie, the year it came out, the source, the video codec (the only metadata that's more vital) and the vanity plates.

Lets dig into examples of being retarded, first up lets bash 't3h scene', okay guys.... wtf is this?
gbn-ft13.avi

I can kind of understand rar archives and archaic filesystem character limitation, but this is INSIDE the rars, what the hell is this? Why the hell have you obscured even your own name? This has to be the most utterly retarded use of a filename I've ever seen! WTF?

What movie? What group? Yes you glory seeking flids, who the hell is gbn? Is this the original Friday the 13th or the remake? Yes you gold fish emulating retards, there's often more than one movie with a single movie title.

Return of the retarded, better but not quite!
Friday.the.13th.DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi

Well that's certainly better, but why in the name of greek anal buggery would you omit the year? :roll:

Now lets get to p2pisms:
Friday.the.13th.[DVDrip.by.GUBBINS,1980].avi

Yeah nice one parser bot 2000, what on earth are you doing here? Why would you even do this? What ever method you are using to archive your movies, no other bugger on this big overpopulated planet is using it... largely because its retarded.

Lets meet his brother:

Friday.the.13th.1980.(Dir.Sean.S.Cunningham,str.betsy.palma,kevin.baker).DVDrip.by.GUBBINS.avi

Okay dickens, put down your keyboard... seriously, what's with the meta-data? Its not helpful, there's sites like IMDB and allmovies for people that need this stuff. You click a actor's/director's name and you can find a list of their movies and the release year of each which can be used to search p2p.

[HORROR].Friday.the.13.avi

Wow... thank you so much! :roll:

Now there's loads of variations, but that's the major ones... all kind of silly right?

There's loads of small defects that I simply don't get too, but these aren't nearly as silly:
Friday.The.13th.(1980).DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi

erm, yeah... why exactly is that necessary?
Friday.The.13th.[1980].DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi

erm, that's even more silly.

Or maybe I'm not getting some epic code embedded in all these files? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
Lets get into some just don't dos too:

Never use these characters:
_
[
]
{
}
+
=
|

Unless they are explicitly in the movie's title on imdb / allmovie / etc. They are stupid, stupid characters. Avoid anything that's not in the standard character set, it will end up as a cube on most people's machines.

Space characters are an on again, off again problem... there's no real reason not to use them, but its generally a messy thing to put in a filename, and for example, is escaped on anything but windows... avoid it.
ie.
Friday the 13th
in mac/linux terminals is:
Friday\ the\ 13th
So replace all spaces with "."

As for the year, there's no reason to embed it in any kind of parenthesis; it doesn't need it, the last set of four digits is always the year, even in extreme cases its not a big deal:
2010.1984.DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi
Obviously, its the movie 2010 that was released in 1984, parenthesis is just filename bloat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Devil, Probably
Friday.The.13th.[1980].DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi

Is okay for me, because some movies contain year numbers and that way you can distinguish between the movie name and it's year. It even helps you noticing the year right from the start, so you immediately know if it's a remake or not.

Other than that I think that most people are not intelligent enough to name the files properly, which also includes not caring about such things. :roll:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Dead But Dreaming
Thank God I'm not the only one ! :beerchug:

I never understood those fucking weird filenames either. FFS keep it clean guys. I also always remove LIMITED, AC3, MP3 etc...

About the (1980) though...

A while ago my father in law told me "Hey have you seen "Doom 2005" ?

"..." :suicide:

I guess some people just need those ( ) :lol:

Site Admin
and lets make a mention for metadata, the only useful information you should put in as meta data is along the lines of:
CUT
UNCUT
DUBBED
SUBBED
EXTENDED
DIRECTORS.CUT
or similar.

SE, CE aren't really that important, I also don't personally see the point of putting AC3 in there, as it no longer causes ANY problems on playback devices. The days of including it as a necessity are over.

As for position, between the year and the ripped medium:
Friday.the.13th.1980.UNCUT.DVDrip.XviD-GUBBINS.avi

Clean, consise and all the required / useful metadata.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
ah two replies whilst I've been replying.... I don't agree about the () quite clearly, I don't think they are even remotely necessary myself, but I do consider it a minor pete peve of mine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
I do not particularly care exactly how it is worded, as long as I can see codec, source, year and title, everything means nothing to me.

The one thing I really poxy hate is when they just abbreviate everything, as you demonstrated Spud, that drives me crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
TaKYoN wrote:
The one thing I really poxy hate is when they just abbreviate everything, as you demonstrated Spud, that drives me crazy.

Yep, same here. :suicide:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
maybe i'm just pissed i've had to go and rename ~100 variations of utter, utter, utter stupidity incarnated in the forms of the most retarded damn filenames I've ever seen in my life! :lol:

But yeah, that's the most annoying but that's only something you see when you download and extract a scene rip so its not so bad; the p2p ones are pretty damn annoying.

If i had time i'd do a hash database and blitz these filenames.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
Wow, spud on a fit again!

Found a new site with hundreds of abbreviated rips or something? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
Edited too many filenames I would say. :googley:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:46 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
It was mldonkey, i had to reboot a box and upgrade loads of stuff... filenames got bust and it chose the most popular... unfortunately popular also translates as COMPLETELY FUCKING RETARDED.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:46 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
It was mldonkey, i had to reboot a box and upgrade loads of stuff... filenames got bust and it chose the most popular... unfortunately popular also translates as COMPLETELY FUCKING RETARDED.

That is something you have to put up with mate. The world and it's inhabitants are generally pretty dense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Devil, Probably
Angry Spud makes me laugh. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:25 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
spudthedestroyer wrote:

But perhaps you have not seen one with a very funny retardation!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:50 am  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
Union, even the funniest things get irritating after a while.

From a personal POV I like to rename files for my mate. He lives in Spain now and has no net access so I forward DVD's onto him. Obviously I know what the files are on my machine, but he does not know so I end up renaming everything to keep things simple for him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Ancient One
ByK wrote:
Thank God I'm not the only one ! :beerchug:

I never understood those fucking weird filenames either. FFS keep it clean guys. I also always remove LIMITED, AC3, MP3 etc...

About the (1980) though...

A while ago my father in law told me "Hey have you seen "Doom 2005" ?

"..." :suicide:

I guess some people just need those ( ) :lol:

yeah, I like the () too..
As in:
Doomsday 2012 (2008)
2001 (1969)
1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 BC (2007)
2001 Maniacs (2005)
2029 (1985)
etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
thats what my posting on usenet use to be like, i would have the file name but on the rar's it would be like ft13th.rar at the time it was a safty issue so you weren't caught posting something illeagel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

Site Admin
i understand the rar names, since it stems back to character limitations in filesystems, but the contents of the rar too? They need bitch slapping... :outsider:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard for people to give file's decent names?

The Devil, Probably
TaKYoN wrote:
Union, even the funniest things get irritating after a while.

From a personal POV I like to rename files for my mate. He lives in Spain now and has no net access so I forward DVD's onto him. Obviously I know what the files are on my machine, but he does not know so I end up renaming everything to keep things simple for him.

Does he really need that? :roll:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)