Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:42 pm  Post subject: What is the purpose of private sites?

Dead But Dreaming
Just wondering. There are a few sites i've been referred to for ed2k/torrents and all of them have that annoying "not accepting memberships/registration down" messages when you try to sign up. I guess for the torrent sites its all about security or whathaveyou, but (and this is in regards to filehaven(sp?) and another link site whose name I forgot) in regards to ed2k sites, why try making it all exclusive? I was happy when I found this site cause it was first (only?) ed2k site with open registrations. Basically, my question is, what is the point/benefit in going private?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:43 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

The Ancient One
With BT sites it's mostly about enforcing ratio rules. With ed2k sites I'd think it's more about security.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

The Devil, Probably
Only ed2k site I use that is closed is FileHeaven all the others (13) are either completely open or are open for registration. As for torrent sites, like ^Rogue^ said, IMO it's mostly about ratio concerned. A few like T3 are open but the more larger/mainstream/... bittorent sites are closed and you simply have to wait to get a chance to get in. That is if they don't require an invite code before you can register. No matter how you look at it P2P is illegal in most if not all countries and thats probably the main reason to keep things closed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:43 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Site Admin
fileheaven was closed purely because of server load.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I have regged myself to a private torrent site.
The thing that bothers me is that tards upload series like Scrubs and Gossip Girl and whatever.
WHO THE F*CK WANT TO DOWNLOAD THAT FROM A PRIVATE SITE?
When you can just go in to eztv.it and download it from there. That's where the uploader got his file from in the first place...
WTF?
I don't wanna give up my ratio for that shit when I can get it for "free" from a non reg site.
(not that i watch gossip girl but it was just an example)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:35 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Dead But Dreaming
Ricken wrote:
The thing that bothers me is that tards upload series like Scrubs and Gossip Girl and whatever.
When you can just go in to eztv.it and download it from there. That's where the uploader got his file from in the first place...
WTF?
I don't wanna give up my ratio for that shit when I can get it for "free" from a non reg site.

Yeah it is amazing what people spread around. But heh, someone is downloading that stuff.
You'll appreciate sites that do have 'unique' content a little more now like Karagarga or Cinemageddon.
No matter where you go though you'll see crossover quite a bit. There are many sites now a days
that cater to particular genres like wrestling, comics, horror, tv, etc. Just find one you like and
go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Skull Full Of Maggots
Oberon wrote:
Ricken wrote:
WTF?

Yeah it is amazing what people spread around. But heh, someone is downloading that stuff.
You'll appreciate sites that do have 'unique' content a little more now like Karagarga or Cinemageddon.
No matter where you go though you'll see crossover quite a bit. There are many sites now a days
that cater to particular genres like wrestling, comics, horror, tv, etc. Just find one you like and
go for it.

Yeah... But sometimes you can find some cool stuff that are quite hard to get your dirty little hand on.
Those times it's quite good to be a member on a reg-site...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:16 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Demon Of The Abyss
The point of private sites is partly for security but mainly to ensure that there are decent users. In torrent sites this is done though ratio.. everyone has to keep a high ratio so all teh files are super fast.. eg.. i just downloaded 10 season of Poirot.. took me 1 day... try that on emule. Other places like say DC++ hbs need each user to have say 200gig shared at each time... again ensureing speed and in this case once a file gets into teh community it is garenteed to be there a long time.

So basicly private sites are mainly to make a colser knit group of people in a community that are more active in shareing and as a result enjoy super fast download speeds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Site Admin
that's why newsgroups rapes it, download 40,000 series of poirot from there without harming your ratio! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:16 am  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
that's why newsgroups rapes it, download 40,000 series of poirot from there without harming your ratio! :lol:

Yea, i keep meaning to try out newsgroups... i havn't really used a newsgroup from back in teh day before webpages had images on them lol.

I thought they were like torrent sites though and only really contained current releases? Like the fiels only stay in teh newsgroup a short time and you have to grab them then... so you need to keep an eye on the groups like 24/7 or you might miss part 200 of some binary... ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:22 pm  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of private sites?

Site Admin
Well I was suddenly recommended the wire at fileheaven, and I went onto nzbsrus.com did a search and then downloaded four seasons. Its not as 'brand new only' as you'd expect there's more general content of varying ages, but yeah there's a retention of <200 days. I don't have trouble with incomplete downloads.

You'll only miss stuff if you are usng an isps free binaries and they only retain content for a couple of days.