Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:01 am  Post subject: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Skull Full Of Maggots
I'd like the communities help on this one.
A friend of mine is coming over next weekend and wants to see a good horror flick. I need something with atmospheric value and that is a heart-pounder. From what I have read, thats Argento.
I'll be the first to admit that my horror roots dont grow as deep as most of the posters here do. I grew up on the mainstream 80's horror. Freddy, Jason, Myers, Pumkinhead, Exorcist, X of the living dead, etc. I think now is the time to discover the apperent wonder and genious of Argento.

So I ask... if at all possible... to get the names of a few movies that belong to Argento. The thing is, this will be a learning expierence of sorts. A discovery to us. I'd really not like to get the absolout best film he has made and then be sort of let down when I watch the others eventually. At the same time I dont want to pick the worst film that he has made that leaves me "Meh". This is what Im hoping for. A recomendation of an Argento movie that is.... average in the realm of his films. Something that will still grab our attention and interest us. Only not the MASTERPEICE.

Can I get some recomendations like that?

PS ~ This will most likley get me some action with an exceptionaly freaky, hot petite woman. So, do it for all of man-kind ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 am  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Demon Of The Abyss
Try Deep Red or Inferno. His masterpieces BTW are Tenebrae and Suspiria.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

The Ancient One
I haven't seen many Argento movies yet, but the ones I've seen are almost equally good.

Most people say that Suspiria is Argento's best. Keep in mind that Inferno (suggested by George Tatum) should be the sequel to that.

What about Phenomena? It is a bit long paced but has some kissing scenes that could do you a favor with your petite woman. :wacky:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

The Ancient One
LOL @ chupa, you womanizer! :mrgreen:

My favourite Argento is Inferno, but if you want to go for a little less than the masterpiece, you can watch The Cat O'Nine Tails or Deep Red. The Cat... is not really a heartpounder though, imo. Same goes for Four Flies on Grey Velvet. The other good ones have been mentioned already: Suspiria and Tenebrae.

If you don't mind if Argento is not the director of the movie but the writer/producer, you can also watch Demoni (1 or 2).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Master Of The Dead Donkey
George Tatum wrote:
Try Deep Red or Inferno. His masterpieces BTW are Tenebrae and Suspiria.

'Deep Red' is Argento's masterpiece according to many, so it's not what Ahunt is asking for.

I'd recommend 'Phenomena', 'Opera' or 'Sleepless'. All of these are good, while not the best the guy ever made.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Demon Of The Abyss
I prefer the 2 I called his masterpieces but yes Phenomena and Opera would be a good choice, I haven't seen Sleepless. I should have consulted IMDB first rather than posting from memory.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

The Ancient One
Slayer wrote:
If you don't mind if Argento is not the director of the movie but the writer/producer, you can also watch Demoni (1 or 2).

Demoni 1 is great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Skull Full Of Maggots
I scoured the Argento "collection" on the site to see what there was to offer. Phenomena looks promising. Im not sure I would want to watch Inferno right yet sense it is a sequal to Suspiria.

Now the Demon movies, from the information I have gathered without going to IMDB (Sometimes I get lured to the message boards and it gives to much away), dont seem to deal with DEMONS in a mythologica sense. So, just a quick question on those without giving much away to me, do they actually deal with demons, or more of a "demon" to one's self? As in "inner demons"?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

The Ancient One
They actually deal with demons.

Oh, and about Inferno: yes, it is a sequel to Suspiria, but you can easily watch Inferno first. Or watch Inferno and don't watch Suspiria at all, as the movies are all quite independent of each other. The only thing is that both these movies (and Mother of Tears from 2007) are about the Three Mothers, so they have a common theme. You won't sit in front of the TV wondering what the hell you missed if you watch Inferno on its own.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Skull Full Of Maggots
Hmm, well I looked up Demons on youtube and a guy had posted the first 10 minutes to it. It hadnt gotten to any of the story elements yet really. I turned it off at about 3 minutes in. I saw one thing though. It looked like it had an awesome soundtrack!

I might grab Demons/Demons2 for starters. There was another Argento in the opening credits. Fsomething Argento. Is that a relation? Does he cast family in his movies?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

The Ancient One
Demons and the sequel are bloody great films. I have nothing else to add, my favourites are, besides Demons, Suspiria and Inferno.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

The Ancient One
Ahunt5714 wrote:
I saw one thing though. It looked like it had an awesome soundtrack!

All Argentos have (well, most of all at least), it's an important part of his atmosphere.

Quote:
There was another Argento in the opening credits. Fsomething Argento. Is that a relation? Does he cast family in his movies?

Don't know about Fsomething Argento, but his daughter, Asia Argento, regularly plays roles in his movies. She plays in other director's movies as well and is also a nice piece of ass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Recomend me a good Argento flick.

Skull Full Of Maggots
Oh yeah?
I'll have to keep an eye out for that. How can someone named Asia not be hot???