Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:31 pm  Post subject: Leeching?

Dead But Dreaming
Okay, I have been wondering this for awhile. Well, not really, but its on of those things that falls under my "why do people REALLY care" list. It's the term "leeching". I've been dl'ing since '07 and have considered myself someone who doesn't really need much handholding when it comes to the internet. Setting up emule and figuring out that I needed to have a large queue of stuff to download was pretty simple with a little reading. Setting up my utorrent client was a nobrainer. No one needed to tell me to avoid Axxo for mainstream movies. You get the point. Only recently have I started posting on forums as I need info on tracking down some of those elusive goodies. Once thing I have noticed is that the moment someone brings up the term "leeching", the whole thread shifts into butthurt mode. I mean, i'm guilty as anyone for leeching. I mean, its not like some cougar tranny is gonna come to my house and gape me or something because I did not keep a 1:1 ratio for that movie I got.
What i'm trying to say is, why so serious? I know that someone is gonna say "its to keep everything shared", or the usual "stop being selfish", but does it really matter, really?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
If you are downloading something 'rare', try to keep it shared, that's all. :)

a leecher is for example:

started downloading Jan 13
viewtopic.php?p=197400#p197400

10 days later he is not sharing it anymore
viewtopic.php?p=197829#p197829

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
I must admit, that I usually don't share stuff I download that has 250+ sources. I'd rather "waste" my bandwith on the rare stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Devil, Probably
How kind of you to call me a leecher. I am most likely the best example with a UL:DL ration of 5.5:1. :prat:

I download movies on my laptop, which has a limited hard disc capacity of 40 GB. I thus don't have the space to share many AFRs and I am not willing to sacrifice space if there are over 300 sources for it - which was the case for the link you posted. Even though I always wait until I have uploaded the movies at least once to others in total (meaning a share ration > 1).

Movies I ripped (or posted here) and those that are rare (e.g. "The Pit" also a Shit-Busters rip) or that I like are kept - but even this way the 40 GB gets filled sooner or later.

I didn't start downloading Tokyo Gore Police again, because I realised that I most likely didn't like it at all - being a macabre and bloody B-movie sexploitation flick.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Demon Of The Abyss
It is emule... there is no ratio.. if you do nto want to help others by sharing then you are just an asshole cunt .. simple as that.. no pressure.. if you just want to be a drain on the others that help out and respect others it is totaly your own choice. no one will know and no one cares. It is up to you how much of a selfish prick you wish to be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Dead But Dreaming
Jynks wrote:
It is emule... there is no ratio.. if you do nto want to help others by sharing then you are just an asshole cunt .. simple as that.. no pressure.. if you just want to be a drain on the others that help out and respect others it is totaly your own choice. no one will know and no one cares. It is up to you how much of a selfish prick you wish to be.

Like I said, i've never understood the emotional uproar that the term "leeching" inspires. I can think of many other things to get upset about, but someone not seeding a file-a little irritating, but, meh. What does upset me though, is incorrectly labeled files being spread and bad aspect ratio, but its all good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:57 am  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Demon Of The Abyss
No... no one gets upset. Emule has no ratio. It is up to the consonance of the user. It is like when you see a really fat person... calling them fat isn't a judgment.. calling a leecher selfish is not a judgment. It is all on your own choice. You just should have the balls to admit that you are being selfish and unsupportive of the community you are involved with, if that dosn't bother you it is your probelm as human being, not anyone elses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:27 am  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
Jynks wrote:

There is a ratio in eMule and it is displayed in your client statistic tab. It also affects your queue rank. The more people download form you, the faster you'll proceed in their queue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:49 am  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Demon Of The Abyss
What i mean is it is not enforced like ratio sites... there is no penalty for leeching,apart form slower speeds...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
Well yes. Since ed2k does not need stupid files to be able to download anything, there can't be such thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Demon Of The Abyss
elchupacabra wrote:
Well yes. Since ed2k does not need stupid files to be able to download anything, there can't be such thing.

exactly so it is up to the conscience of the user as to weather he/she wants to be fair and supportive to the community or selfish and just "leech" from other nicer and more generous people

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Skull Full Of Maggots
PumpThrust wrote:
No one needed to tell me to avoid Axxo for mainstream movies. You get the point.

Uhm...
No, I do not get the point!
Why not aXXo?
Please enlighten me...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
Ricken wrote:
PumpThrust wrote:
No one needed to tell me to avoid Axxo for mainstream movies. You get the point.

Uhm...
No, I do not get the point!
Why not aXXo?
Please enlighten me...

99% bad cropping.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Devil, Probably
Jynks wrote:

There is a ratio displayed for every single file. You earn credits for uploading stuff to others.

There is no point in sharing all movies you download, because you easily get a queue with over 10000 users and no one will be able to download from you if you turn your PC off on a regular basis. I don't host a server so my client should spread rare things instead of movies that have 300+ sources.

Therefore I believe that everyone should share the things he released or he likes. There is no real option with 40 GB of hard disk space and I won't buy a bigger one just to have everything shared - for the reason above.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
i do not share because of my upload limit :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
but during download i give maybe 33% of the movie
so i am only 66% leecher :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
I would imagine over the long term I am roughly 1:1.

Leeches 'can' be a pain if you have a lack of sources, but on the other hand do the maths. It is not possible for every single user to achieve above a 1:1 ratio on everything, you must have leeches for others to achieve a high sharing ratio.

I tend to follow the thought processes many of you guys do, if it has lots of sources then I often do not achieve a high ratio, but I will achieve a good ratio on something rarer. Sometimes you simply do not have enough peers to be able to get a good ratio.

@truba, you still not got decent broadband in your shed yet mate?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: there is not any ISP with FLAT or something beter than 7 GB download (including upload) in my part of town

we are waiting for privatization of BH Telecom then local cable ISP like mine will offer something better

it is very strange but i could have better bandwidth in my country house than in the city i live in :argue: :outsider: because of monopole :roll: :roll: :roll: :wacky: :wacky:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 am  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

Demon Of The Abyss
I have a 2.09:1. Don´t ask me how... Guess I just don´t download that much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
Where can you see your ratio?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Leeching?

The Ancient One
There should be a statistic tab as I said. It should be there somewhere.