Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm  Post subject: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

Dead But Dreaming
I don't care if disppreciation is not a real word, this is movies we're talking about here, not scrabble.

I'm pretty sure this has happened to all of you at some point in your emule'ing. You do a search or find a link to that long cherished flick you've been searching for (or haven't been searching for-just haven't seen since you were a kid) and finally find it with somewhat okay sources. (lets say, 2 full sources). After nearly a month of waiting, you finally get that green bar.
But, upon viewing, to your absolute horror, its dubbed.
:D :o :? :( :evil: check the progression here.
Now your first reaction would be to dump the bad one and look for a new file, right? Well, wrong, there are no more rips out available in the native language.
Of course this could have been prevented by checking the details, watching the preview or whathaveyou, but in this case, you did all of those and there was nothing there that would have clued you into the possibility of the file being a poo poo dub. No filename info, no alternate filenames in the details, and worse yet, the preview only covers the credit sequence without dialogue. And these are rare movies i'm talking about here. Chud 2-dubbed italian, motherfucking Robot Ninja-dubbed in spanish (and that jerkoff Bookwalter would rather blog about being a Republican than releasing his stuff to dvd then has the nerve to get mad when people pirate his stuff...hello?), Deathstalker 3-Can't complete my collection since there is no original language rip available.
I don't care about a dubbed Dark Knight or Twilight. But dubbed rare movies+improper filenaming+inflated used dvd/vhs/dvdr prices= :evil: :matrix: :suicide:

Now, not all dubs are bad. I actually prefer my kung fu/ninja/karate and cheeseball Italian zombie/crime/giallo flicks dubbed since IMO it kinda helps set the mood and increases my enjoyment in the film (for example, the dubbed version of Story of Ricky-while inaccurate, makes the film much better). But even then, subs would still do fine since more often than not, the subs are a much better translation of whats going on onscreen.
In a nutshell since i'm hungry and too tired to continue, i'll pose this question to the community, is there still a point in creating a dubbed version of a movie anymore?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

Site Admin
I disagree with you, I've never seen a dub that's of merit beyond maybe Kung Pow and some animation for kids. ;)

I suppose we have to understand, in Spain it was illegal to show a film in English under Franco. Under Hitler, once again English films were controlled. If you look at the countries, barring fat lazy Americans, if they have dubbed television and cinema its likely they'e suffered under a horrendous dictatorship and are still seeing the effects. Its generally right wing nations where you'll see it. Once again, barring fat lazy Americans and those with the brains the size of a gnatt, but then again a lot of them are increasingly right wing.

The problem is that they don't use the German or Spanish title when tagging their films, I don't understand why they would use the english title instead of what it says on the freaking dvd case. Trust me, here in spain ALL the film titles are different and in spanish, so why they don't use those when tagging the films is completely beyond me.

Dubbing is the only place on TDX scene rules that makes any sense anymore, its a nuke!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I disagree with you, I've never seen a dub that's of merit beyond maybe Kung Pow and some animation for kids. ;)

So far the only dub that imho is really better than the original was "House 2: The Second Story" in German. They added a weird laughter to the villain that was so funny and creepy that it really added to the atmosphere.

Quote:
The problem is that they don't use the German or Spanish title when tagging their films, I don't understand why they would use the english title instead of what it says on the freaking dvd case.

Yes, I agree on this. I don't understand it either. Maybe they do it, because a lot of people only know the English title and are going to search for that on ed2k and the forums.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

The Devil, Probably
Quote:
In the Russian, French, German, Spanish and Italian-speaking markets of Europe, virtually all foreign films and television shows are dubbed. There are few opportunities to watch foreign movies in their original versions, and, even in the largest cities, there are virtually no cinemas that screen original versions with subtitles, or no translation at all. However, digital pay-TV programming is often available in the original language, including the latest movies. Prior to the rise of DVDs, which in these countries are mostly issued with multi-language audio tracks, original language films other than in the country's official language were rare, whether in theaters, on TV, or on home video, and subtitled versions were considered a product for small niche markets such as intellectual or art films.

Quote:
In the United States and most of Canada outside Quebec, dubbing is rare except for animations: televised Japanese anime is almost always aired in its dubbed format regardless of its content or target age group, with the sole exceptions occurring either when an English dub has not been produced for the program (usually in the case of feature films) or when the program is being presented by a network that places importance on presenting it in its original format (as was the case when Turner Classic Movies aired several of Hayao Miyazaki's works, which were presented both dubbed and subtitled). Most anime DVDs contain options for original Japanese, Japanese with subtitles, and English dubbed, except for a handful of series which have been heavily edited and/or Americanized. Usually, Tokusatsu and daikaiju films are dubbed when imported into the U.S.; the poor quality of the dubbing of these films has become the subject of much mockery.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbing_(filmmaking)

Thankfully I can't remember the last film or television program I watched that was dubbed and I didn't know it prior to viewing. Also, I can't remember the last film I tried to find that I had no means of obtaining an original language version.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

Site Admin
I'm not sure about the French comment, any french user able to confirm how much dubbed content you get?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

The Ancient One
When I was in Russia in 1992, I visited a family and they were watching Home Alone dubbed in Russian. Whereas HA is a sorry excuse for a movie with that spoiled brat and the dull storyline, I had great fun watching the Russian dub, as there was only 1 person doing all the voices. I laughed my ass off when I heard the mother of the family speak Russian in such a low, manly voice :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

Site Admin
Just imagine if Stalin f*cked your ass so badly you thought that was normal, who'd be laughing then?

That guy, that's who!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

The Ancient One
In Hungary everything on Hungarian TV channels is dubbed. There are lots of foreign channels that are untouched. In cinema the mainstream movies are dubbed. Only a few movies are not dubbed and shown with subtitles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Dubbed Movie Disppreciation Thread

The Devil, Probably
Oh no, he turned into a spam bot. :wacky:

What's more annoying then downloading a dubbed movie without knowing is downloading several different versions and all being dubbed. :suicide:
Recently I grabbed 3 different versions (although not all completed, some had only first/last chunk finished) of The Ambulance and two were German and one was Spanish. :(

Oh and f*ck Stalin as he was probably the biggest motherf*cker, who ever existed. :thumbsdown:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)