Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 pm  Post subject: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
Although i've got mldonkey running on a nas in the uk, iirc correctly, I can't say i've actively used p2p for a year. ALL my downloads are now being done through nzb and frankly, p2p is just not necessary for 0 day, in fact its highly inefficient for it.

I just wish people would post to nzb all their rare horror and scifi, its a shame to see it unattainable and its the only stuff i have an mldonkey running, albeit it at under capacity. The less said about torrent the better.

Rapidshare is the childrens/poor man's kiddy ware equivalent, its a step in the wrong direction (Read: Warez Sites of the 90s)

Anyone else abandoned p2p, or is there a new technology that doesn't have the crippling issues of ed2k or torrent?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:58 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
:mrgreen: me downloading from rapid share and torrent :mrgreen: because of upload limit :roll: :roll:

it is not important how much GB youll download but how many youll see till the end of your life :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:12 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

The Devil, Probably
Anything I get these days is from NZB. Occasionally I'll post something to Usenet, but the vast majority is coming in a downward direction.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:29 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
hmmm... i wonder if theres a way we can attract people to post on news?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:48 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:
hmmm... i wonder if theres a way we can attract people to post on news?

Make it free? I'm not much into the NZB scene, especially since I lost free access
to a usenet server (Time Warner fuck wits). I'm a cheap bastard and I want my
stolen movies free! :twisted: The news servers with a good retention rate
seem to cost a bit of money. Besides, I'm patient enough to wait for the goodness.
I also like the idea of giving back to people are into the same thing. It's kinda
like a really misguided work ethic, as you are working to share something stolen. But
it makes me feel good. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:31 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
Standard is over a year of retention. That's a tonne of data :)

What i don't understand is 'special' people* are PAYING for crappy warez through rapidshare :o :o :o :o

* I don't want to use too inflammatory terminology here, as i know members here are 'special' and pay for such shoddy services. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:35 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I get virtually everything with nzbs too. But I did fire up emule recently to get a couple of unusual mp3s.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
moving to spain is what did it, didn't have a pc for ages, and i've checked my mldonkey and its just so shut out of the network... you need a windows machine and a modern emule client to get anything these days i think.

I just shelled in to mldonkey to check and confirm that:
Down: 0.3 KB/s (210|107), 6.06G	Up: 12.1 KB/s (314|12047), 44.46G	Shared(65): 40.47G	DL 500 KB/s, UL 15 KB/s, Conn: 33 (600)

Good for everyone else I guess though which is fine by me :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I download most of the stuff via news but I don't see a way around the good old mule and private trackers to get all the goodies. If you haven't used p2p for a year, then I'd say you are getting old! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:24 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
Must be, but then my criticisms of both systems are they aren't new or efficient enough :lol:

Maybe I'm an old guy that likes young trollops then? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:48 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Dead But Dreaming
I keep my mule going for sharing stuff I get off of Rapidshare.
I use RS for filling in holes in my collection though lately i've slowed down on p2p'ing quite a bit.
With rapidshare doing its thing, I haven't a need for newsgroups.
Spud, would you care to explain how people paying for newgroups are some how less "special" than those who use RS?
I don't see the big difference honestly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:28 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
I'm on my iPhone but the difference is significant, especially surrounding retention, privacy and time saved. Micromanaging deadlinks isn't an issue. If you care just google, ie http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?s=&showtopi ... ost&p=5259

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:52 am  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

The Ancient One
Is NZB like the ed2k network or can one only access the files that are uploaded to specific servers (the ones used by the newsgroup provider)?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:02 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Site Admin
no, its a system older than the www to distrubute data. Sure newsgroups providers could filter out certain groups but it would be commercial suicide. Basically you have collosal servers that sync off one another. You post to one, and they sync to each other, so your data is anonymously distributed and without a known source. Potentially, you could get a situation where you have a slow server and it hasn't synced everything yet and you try and download instantly when someone has just finished posting, or a crap provider that's deleted content, but its increasingly rare in modern times. I've not had that in the past year.

In terms of anonymity its the best system out there, especially since most providers purge their logs. You can read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

and visualise the network like this:

As you can see, you just hang off your provider and your provider syncs and archives *everything*. You can encrypt transfers with SSL, and there's no audit trail to you besides the knowledge you are paying a provider.

Contrast this with torrent that tracks and records everything, emule where you are seen as the source, rapidshare where your record and download logs are stored on a single company in germany. I'm surprised no one has shutdown rapidshare yet, i don't understand how they are getting away with it, its so bad and insecure.

There's none of this dead-link malarky, and usenet providers don't delete content. Most of them are now just expanding their archives by adding in more and more storage. when they say 'expanding daily' they mean they no longer purge data.

There's no upload unless you desire to upload/share something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

The Ancient One
Thanks for the useful information. Does a retention rate of one year mean that if I upload a file it is deleted after 365 days?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:07 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

elchupacabra wrote:
Does a retention rate of one year mean that if I upload a file it is deleted after 365 days?

If your news provider has a retention of 365, then it is very likely that you won't be able to complete the download of a 365+ days old file.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:18 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

The Ancient One
So you have to upload the file over and over again? I think we now found a point in which ed2k might be better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:31 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

elchupacabra wrote:
So you have to upload the file over and over again? I think we now found a point in which ed2k might be better.

Well, I still use the mule, a lot actually! I'm in fact a very busy emule releaser with a tiny upload bandwidth and that's exactly why I use newsgroups so much. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:42 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

Demon Of The Abyss
elchupacabra wrote:

How many times do you upload a file on emule network before it's considered released with enough sources?
I myself at least 10 to 15 times.

On ngs you only have to upload once (per retention timespan, often close to a year or more)

I think the point you just found doesn't make ed2k better, but ngs ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:38 pm  Post subject: Re: I have't used p2p for a year

The Ancient One
I upload once, and then let it stay for a long time (at least several months, sometimes half a year). After that, it has always gathered enough sources to live on its own, without my help ;)