Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:13 pm  Post subject: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my TV

The Devil, Probably
Nothing special? Perhaps not. But it is my own media controller and media server. And with 'my own' I mean I wrote it myself. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Ancient One
UDP?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Devil, Probably
UPnP/DLNA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Site Admin
I hear there's a wheel that needs inventing too :wacky:

Out of interest, how come you wrote a streaming app instead of using, say, vlan player?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Devil, Probably
Hi Spud, I am currently working with a friend to start my own company. The streaming stuff is some fallout of the product I am currently develop.

And I do the streaming 100% on my own so I have total control of costs and licences.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Ancient One
Streaming movies directly :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Devil, Probably
d0c wrote:
Streaming movie

It is easier than it sounds. I have one of those:
http://www.audiovideohd.fr/actualites/5 ... C6700.html
You can easily connect it to your home network. Some code magic
to get the TV's ip address, then take your movie, split it in small chunks
and send them via http to the TV. Ok, I simplified a bit.

Today I created my own remote control for this TV. Works via tcp/ip. So
in theory I can change channels, start, stop recordings, etc. over the net.

:-D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Demon Of The Abyss
What are u trying to do.. I agree with Spud... like I can understand doing somthing like this for fun or learning... but I just can not see why you would do all this when there are fully working systems that do all this perfectly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Devil, Probably
Jynks wrote:
What are u trying to do.. I agree with Spud... like I can understand doing somthing like this for fun or learning... but I just can not see why you would do all this when there are fully working systems that do all this perfectly

As I said... working on a product for a company I currently try to start. The stuff I do now is a byproduct of the protocols I learn.

The remote control I coded today will be an app in the nokia store. And I might port it to android.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 am  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Ancient One
i think i just stick to my old xbox1 no fansy pansy stuff there and it work just fine...........

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:36 am  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Demon Of The Abyss
but u can not play hd content or even 480p mkv content..... even shitbusters are using h.264 in some of there releases now... .. .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Ancient One
Jynks wrote:
but u can not play hd content or even 480p mkv content..... even shitbusters are using h.264 in some of there releases now... .. .

yeah i know i am oldskool... spud talked about some donation thing, maybe there is hope so i can afford the ps3.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Site Admin
why would you buy a ps3? Can't do shit with that brick :p

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:55 am  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Demon Of The Abyss
Ps3 is really not that bad.... has blu-ray and can stream most formats... the big problem is that it dose not support MKV at all, so to play MKV files you need to either convert the container (loosing soft-subtitle support + multi-audio tracks) or tranzcoding on the fly (Again loosing soft-subtitle support + multi-audio tracks)... . Still not a bad choice... I in fact have a Ps3 for blu-ray and the occasional game (uncharted 3 when you getting released yo!)

The only HTPC option is a Zotac or a Revo + XBMC.... that is where it is at man. I would recommend to run XBMCLinux on Xubuntu rather than XBMClive or if you are a M$ boy on windows7 as then you can get access to the windows environment witch opens a lot of other functions that are flaky in XBMCLive as you have to use crappy plugins... like LiveStream, Just.TV, running games etc etc etc

Also I use a Harmony One remote.... it is a universal remote and I can control every device in my house though it, including XBMC... turning it into a true "virtual vcr" type thing.... seriously try it out man, XBMCLive will run off a bootable USB if you want to test it... once you have it set up and have a few TB of 1080p films and Music all in the library all pretty people just can not belive what they are seeing when they come over....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Site Admin
No mkv, no use! I just can't live with transcoding or repacking; it consumes your life.
Unpacking, repacking, etc. are the devil!

The extent of mkvmerge for me is removing primary audio tracks if they put a dubbing track in there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Ancient One
i havent jumped on the mkv bandwagon yet and dont feel i need to anytime soon. even if mkv is an improvment it did come a bit to late to catch on. 99% of the downloaders still think avi is more than good enough and if you want more you can always buy the sucker in bluray/dvd format.... but i gotta mention this, i tryed an mkv file on my xbox1 and it did play :googley: i guess it support the format as long it aint using the horrible x264 codec..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Site Admin
you must be off your tits! :lol:

Nearly everything you download these days from the scene is mkv; maybe its because I only download 1080p and 720p?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 am  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Nearly everything you download these days from the scene is mkv; maybe its because I only download 1080p and 720p?

Who needs 1080p or 720p? Makes only bloated files, fills up hard disks much faster and does not look that much better. For me good old 350/700mb divx for series or movies are fine. On rare occasions I convert my avi files to mkv myself, but only when I want to embed subs in one container.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:

yea.. i only really get 720p as a min now.. but ot be fair to Doc.. a lot of the stuff he seams to like are lucky if they are even released on dvd... let alone in HD.. but even 480p rips imo look better in MKV.... just check some of the shitbuster mkv rips.. .. compared to a 1.5-2gig xvid

d0c wrote:
but i gotta mention this, i tryed an mkv file on my xbox1 and it did play :googley: i guess it support the format as long it aint using the horrible x264 codec..
wargand wrote:
Who needs 1080p or 720p? Makes only bloated files, fills up hard disks much faster and does not look that much better.

Xbox1 should be able to play mkv.. but it dosn't have the processor to play it smoothly.. it should play but will be all stuttering and freeze and stuff.... but mplayer can play the format fine... There was a MOD on xbox-scene to upgrade the ram and processor but it is pretty hardcore.. i would nvr attempt it... also Xbox1 dev of xbmc is over now as welll. I was in the same boat as you doc for ages... I still use my xbox1 in the bedroom for example.. but once I took the plunge into a proper HTPC I just could nvr go back .... HD is awesome... IMO there is no way anyone can think it dose not look way better

(alien anthology aliens is the exception.. man that HD version looks soooooooooo crap... turns that moody film into a fucking star trek set)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Streaming now my movies directly from my computer to my

Site Admin
wargand wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

Who needs 1080p or 720p? Makes only bloated files, fills up hard disks much faster and does not look that much better. For me good old 350/700mb divx for series or movies are fine. On rare occasions I convert my avi files to mkv myself, but only when I want to embed subs in one container.

Who? I do actually, i have a 1080p projector projecting content at 72". crappy low-def 350mb look, well crappy... real crappy.