Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:18 pm  Post subject: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
Its been difficult to see films in English in the cinema here in spain (Franco fucked these poor people in so many ways, in more significant ways than banning international films.... hell its "armada day" and I don't have the heart to tell them it sank).

Now over the past few months something even more annoying has happened... the few films that aren't dubbed are now in f*cking 3d!

I don't always intend to pirate, but companies aren't making it easy for me to give them money! From the crap home cinema format plagued by crap load times and expensive prices (blu-ray), to 3d-only cinema... I have little choice but to wait and pirate the movies via newsgroups, or take up another hobby.

So is this 3d thing here to stay?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

The Ancient One
I certainly hope not. I didn't care about it the first time around (80's) and I don't care now. But unfortunately it looks like that annoying fad may be here to stay (at least for another year or so). :(

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

The Ancient One
James Cameron says that within five years, all movies will be in 3d:
http://www.dmsoftstudio.com/2011/01/jam ... ill-be-3d/

However, there's a rising opposition to the format, from professionals like special effects guru Douglas Trumbull who explains how it actually doesn't work very well at 24 frames per second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWLZy7gbLg

and editor Walter Murch who explains how the whole concept is technically flawed:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

and Christopher Nolan refusing to shoot The Dark Knight Rises in 3D, in spite of heavy pressure from the studio:
http://screenrant.com/christopher-nolan ... rob-95386/

and Roger Ebert who's turned into one of the loudest crusaders against 3D films, on just about every forum (both online and off) there is:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/04/30/why- ... d-too.html

Most concerning though are recent reports that not only is 3D a bad thing in itself, it are also ruining how 2D films are shown in cinemas (perhaps intentionally) by projecting them through 3D lenses:
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/article ... ?page=full

Still, there is hope. The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie had more then half of it's paying customers choosing to see the film in 2D, rather than 3D, which some proclaim might be the first sign of 3D's downfall:
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2011/05/25/ ... -break-3d/

Even if 3D wont die from bad box office numbers of the Pirates franchise alone, it has shown us that the three dimensional monster is indeed vulnerable. If we all start choosing to pay for 2D tickets in the cinema instead of the extra 3D charge, we are basically sending a message and voting in the big dimension election.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
Quote:
Still, there is hope. The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie had more then half of it's paying customers choosing to see the film in 2D, rather than 3D, which some proclaim might be the first sign of 3D's downfall:
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2011/05/25/ ... -break-3d/

Actually, I have no choice on this one... if I wanted to see it, which if I was bored I'm not against, I can only see it in 3d. There is no choice within ~40km anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:28 am  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Skull Full Of Maggots
Well.
I've only seen one movie in 3D.
THOR!!!!!!!111
And I wasn't impressed.
From what I've heard from people that have seen more: 3D is crap, unless it's in a totally animated movie.
Short version of my rant: Get rid of it, it adds nothing good to the movie, only a effect that can make people think the movie is better then it accually is.
Yes, I still have rage towards people that arguments like this:
moron: I LIEK AVATAR!!!
me: WHY?!
moron: IT LOOKED SO GOOD!!!!
me: eh... that doesn't make the movie good...
Then I become sad...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
Yes, people recommended not to see thor in 3d. So i will now pirate it.

Well done hollywood :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

The Ancient One
I would not recommend you watching Thor in either 3 or 2 D.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:08 am  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
John_Doe wrote:
I would not recommend you watching Thor in either 3 or 2 D.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
1d it is

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:48 am  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?
Request Territory

Request Territory
The only 3D movie I saw at the cinema was Avatar and it was fantastic.

There are 2 simple reason why they want to show the movies in 3D only:
1. It gives them a reason to charge a higher ticket price.
2. It gives people a reason to come to the cinema instead of d/l it of the interwebs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
I thought avatar wasn't a very good film. It was a mere shadow of what James Cameron was capable of in the 80s, although it was really technically impressive it was just boring and samey. I don't regret seeing it, and whilst its technically impressive, i think its done more to harm cinema than help it.

The lack of a story will make the film a bit crap to watch after the fad dies down, let's call it the 'The Matrix effect' actually.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?
Request Territory

Request Territory
Years ago, while Avatar was still in development, I recall Cameron saying he's going to present this movie in 3D and that lots of cinemas will change to 3D for that. At the time I thought it was crazy. Now it's reality - cinemas all around the world have converted their equipment to 3D. Never underestimate Cameron.

Yes, Avatar's plot was just "ok", but technically the movie was amazing. In any case, while watching it at the cinema I was glued to my seat and enjoyed every minute of it.

As for 3D itself, well, since I haven't seen any other 3D movie at the cinema, I really can't tell if Avatar was exceptionally good or whether the entire 3D technique revolutionized and work for every movie.

I believe it was 18 years ago, while watching Captain Eo in Disney World (I might be wrong) that I experienced the polarized technique for the first time and thought it was amazing - MUCH better than the red/cyan technique, and I was wondering why they don't use it more. Well, 15 years later it's all around the world.

Is it a bad thing? Hmm, I guess many movies abuse it and damage the material as a result, but James Cameron proved that you can make a quality movie and benefit from the technology instead of abusing it and do the "look at me" shtick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:57 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Demon Of The Abyss
It´s always good to see someone defending Avatar. Everybody went to see it, loved it, and suddenly it was cool to hate then movie and talk shit about it. Well, for me Cameron never failed to amaze me. Almost alwqays because of the technical aspects os his movies, but I really don´t care. I like the way the man always seems capable of innovating.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
Mataesfola wrote:
It´s always good to see someone defending Avatar. Everybody went to see it, loved it, and suddenly it was cool to hate then movie and talk shit about it. Well, for me Cameron never failed to amaze me. Almost alwqays because of the technical aspects os his movies, but I really don´t care. I like the way the man always seems capable of innovating.

I'm glad you have such a low opinion of people's opinions. ;) Probably not your intention, of course.

Maybe, just maybe... some people want to see a film for more than special effects, not a theme park ride. I don't regret seeing it of course, but I wouldn't count as a film that inspired me in any way. That's really what I'm aiming for when I see movies, if you aren't, fine, but please understand and respect its not everyone's cup of tea. You don't have to get this kind of values from movies of course, but that's what I'm after. Maybe from that perspective you can understand why people don't love it. To anyone that has trouble getting why people don't enjoy Avatar, I recommend watching it again either in 2d, but i imagine in 3d you'll be forced to take note of the film rather than the sfx.

If I contrast this with say, Empire Strikes Back, there was a film with excellent special effects, but a sense of wonder, great story, pacing... really different experience for a movie that was a special effects power house. That's a film that stands the test of time. I just watched Baron Munchausen last night, ditto on that, but it wasn't at all popular on its launch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

The Ancient One
Baron von Munchausen is a brilliant piece of filmmaking! Too bad almost nobody seems to know it exists.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Site Admin
John_Doe wrote:
Baron von Munchausen is a brilliant piece of filmmaking! Too bad almost nobody seems to know it exists.

That was exactly what I thought, it cost a fortune in effects but all were aid to a core story that is really appealing to me. Why does nobody know about it? For me I think it falls down to they didn't know how to market it in the states; imagine if that was the 'avatar' first 3d movie, then it would have had the faddy 3d hook and a decent film behind it.*

My point was don't think people are idlely bashing avatar or because its cool, its because its not a very good film.

* Of course its too dark and grungy for 3d to work

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:23 am  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Demon Of The Abyss
I loved Baron, and It wasn't my intention to show a low opinion in anyones choices of film, but I really digged Avatar and so did almost everyone (including critics) at the time the movie came out. I was just saying that whith time it became a film that it´s cool to hate. And yes that story was told before, but so have many others. Avatar told it in a new way and it was nothing like anything we saw before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

The Ancient One
i haven't seen one movie in 3d yet... i have no interest in 3d movies... i don't think we will get 100% rid of the 3d movies, there always will be a marked for things like that. but i don't think 2d will just die either, when i look at john does links there is a strong force against 3d and that is good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

The Devil, Probably
I would love to see a horror movie with blood splattering in 3D towards the audience. That would be groovy. :rock:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Why can't I watch a movie in 2d anymore?

Demon Of The Abyss
RedVeil wrote:
I would love to see a horror movie with blood splattering in 3D towards the audience. That would be groovy. :rock:

My thoughts exactly. The "coming at you" parts of a 3D movie are the ones I really like. In a horror movir it would be awesome to see that of effect used more often... :rock: