Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:41 pm  Post subject: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
who ever moderate around here... get your act together and moderate this forum now.... if you spud need a regular visitor that are willing to moderator. i am here to help and get the job done, if you want me.... its just sad to see this great site spammed with bots every time, just saying.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:27 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Devil, Probably
If they are actually bots than the solution would be to implement a better CAPTCHA.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:56 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

Site Admin
We have the toughest default captcha; i upgraded it and many users such as Jynk complained that they had eye-sight problems and couldn't log in.
Also many of these aren't BOTs they are humans, and they actually are entering fields with mathematics and film trivia.

I would ask you report them and not be a tool and reply to them as many people are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

Site Admin
That leads to the following options:
Increasing complexity of CAPTCHA; this will prevent legitimate users logging in and most bots have already cracked this. no effect on human spammers
Having administrator authenticated signups; this will potentially prevent signups going through and its difficult to tell if someone is a spammer or legitimate until they start spamming
Disable the ability to post urls until xyz posts; this will prevent users posting ed2k links, etc.
IP ban china and russia. This is increasingly hard and unpredictable, not to mention the amount of legitimate users that will be blocked by this approach.

I was hoping there was a public SPAM ip repository so i could import these into the servers firewall

The problem is related to the high rankings in search engines for this domain, the bigger the site the bigger the target.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

Site Admin
aha, this might help!
http://stopforumspam.com

Will need to write custom code for it, which means doing a remote check on every signup then banning them if its not good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:50 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
SV has a system in place where the first 10 or so posts by new users have to be approved by mods. Would you consider that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
good, try to kill them for good...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:36 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
What Rouge said sounds reasonable. This stopforumspam also sounds interesting. I would not IP ban a whole country.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Devil, Probably
^Rogue^ wrote:
SV has a system in place where the first 10 or so posts by new users have to be approved by mods. Would you consider that?

This might be reasonable, since we don't have that much non-spam users that are new and post useful things.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 am  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
My thoughts exactly. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 am  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Devil, Probably
+1 :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 am  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
@spud

yet again more spam bots have attacked the forum... with posts like *do you believe in the existence of aliens* and *are you a mental patient*. you just gotta wonder if these so called spammers have a laugh on us here at hhah... these bad jokes have gone to far.. it is about time to take action and listen to ^Rogue^.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:03 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
Stay calm. Spud will fix this. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:30 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

The Ancient One
Also, you seek way too much behind what they write, d0c. They get paid for how much they write and how many links they put in, not if it makes sense at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:12 pm  Post subject: Re: dead donkey over run by bots again...

Site Admin
I'll turn that on until i can get round to applying the mod