Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:07 pm  Post subject: happy 4th of july, ya crazy brits

The Devil, Probably
hehe,
i got me a lighter, and a pile of fireworks, and a lot of neighborhood house pets wandering the street with seemingly impunity. now to go mooch from family reunions/picnics before they realise im not one of them. I'm leaving the house with 24 cans of beer and 10 fingers and around 5000firecrackers, and i dont know which i will run out of first.
ah, the 4th of july, aka independence day, when we show are national pride and blow the fuck out of some poor squirells, and launch bottle rockets thru peoples windows.

To the Liquor Store!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:56 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Us brits do shit like that everyday. Do Americans really have some misconceived notion that we all live in cottages in small villages? I know some of the Americans I have spoken too actually believe that shit LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:51 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
haha,
luckily, like most men, i am adept at keyboard manipulation one handed. Ah, my left thumb, we all knew this day would come.

as for what anyone in north america know of british people, not a whole lot, as britain is quite a mysterious and exotic land, with far off tales of wonder and terror.
what i learned in school is basically it.
I will sum it up-

'The first British sailors washed ashore on the shores of Nebraska in 1968. Wearing 3 piece suits,stove top hats, these shipwreckedees came bringing many strange customs, and waves upon waves of diseases to our fair shores. sure, the language bariers were, and still are a constant problem, but great advances were made mainly in part to online 'erotic entertainment', our introduction of the british to our 'toothbrush' and modern system of fast food franchises and the british taught americans grammar,diction,using eating utensils(the 'spoon' i believe you call it. or a 'napkin'),the need of 'sanitation', and proper etiquette. Sadly though, these never caught on with the general american public.

So in conclusion, the British are an exotic, diverse race of peoples with many talents, exceptional physical and mental attributes. Keeping an open mind and using honest interculture respect tempered with understanding, i believe in time with an emphasis on controlled breeding and genetic manipulation we can finally wipe out the plague that is the English.

[bibliography omited]'

seriously,
if its not on a weekly tv show, we as a country havent a clue. Besides the occasional 2minute news story, I've only seen like 3 british shows played with any sort of reglarity here, and they are on the public broadcast stations. faulty towers, dr who, and some documentaries(though they just use british people speaking the lines). once i saw a 'red dwarf' episode,but it was canceled like in a week.

if u as a culture are not like the characters in 'Oliver Twist'.....................
eh, but i guess i watch the recent england made movies. THis would probably qualify me as an expert (here). So drop that chimney sweep, gov'nor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:32 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Sorry I asked LOL Seriously tho, I have found Americans on their own to be most pleasant, but in a group, oh shit they can be annoying. No offence to our US friends but the fastest way to piss ppl off is to keep telling them how great you are. We know the US and UK are great allies and our way of life is great, but other ppl just wanna drag us down to the same level as them.

One other point, in your education system how much are you really taught about the world outside the states? Most Americans I know are amazingly lacking in knowledge of other countries.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:37 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
its been 10 years since high school, but from what i recall they teach nothing modern about other countries. The only thing i can remember being taught about england is from social studies or history class, and i think it went no further than world war 2.

i'd assume britain was basically the same as the usa. every day 99% of you get up, go to work, go home. eat, go to sleep. then a new day begins, repeat from step 1 untill dead, usually not knowing (or caring) about the rest of the various countries, as they can mind thier own freaking business because it sucks attaching widgets to spindles on an assembly line every day(or something that is equally suckie) sucks no matter where its sucking cause it just plain blows.
i mean sucks.
(edit - here is were i started talking about robots, mexicans, feeling cheated by 50's sci-fi writers*,survival of the fitest, tribal nature, and man's inhumanity to man. i took it out)

that sound bout right?
i know there's differences, but the basic thing is the same.

*yeah, in the future people will live in a perfect utopian society, with robots doing all the labor, or technology making most labor obsolete. sure sounds good. eerrrr, though,
more than likely,
'ah, everything is in abundance, life is great!. eh? you want something? Sure, i have something. oh. no money? sorry, all mine. yes,yes i know i have more than i could ever use, but its all still mine. you need it?cant live without it? i guess you'll just have to get a job and pay for it,mister! what?there are no jobs? again, sorry, but you must understand that whats mine is mine and we have to keep it that way. ahhh, thankfully all the 'lesser people' will die off eventually. Its thier own fault you know, bad genes.'

i will leave the rest out, it just gets weirder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:39 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
-ding-
hey! a potato!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:51 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
it can be quite fun to ask americans if they've ever heard of Norway.

'Ain't that the capitol of Sweden?'
and
'That's the country on the north pole'

are just some of the answers I've gotten.

I once met an an american here who'd brought tons of peanut butter from home, cause he didn't think we had that here, and couldn't live without it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:40 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
ah, they were stupid.
Norway is were Santa lives.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'