Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:13 pm  Post subject: Gutterballs (2008)

In Hell I Burn
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087853/

I have read a lot of juicy reviews about this crazy gore-flick, do you know if a decent rip will be available soon?

:rock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Man, I came here especially to request this hehe I was just gonna say "because this can't come quick enough" , I know it was supposed to be shipping today, but since it's not something you can get at a best buy or something and it's not theater material, maybe a tricky one?! anyway, if someone ordered this just rip it up already. Ryan Nicholson is great, only american gore director and his movies are like the US versions (complete with cultural bits, camp and overal atmosphere etc.) of other splatter directors around the world.

http://severed-cinema.com//index.php?op ... &Itemid=26

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

Site Admin
okay, will rip it for you two :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

did u order it from plotdigger? I was just about to (it'd be crazy since it's been months since I bought anything import), but I figured they'd put out a special release somewhere in the future, since they have live feed and torched scheduled for special threatments this year... btw if you're just teasing I'll burn you alive, thanks a lot for this :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
sounds good...even though I'm no Maniac fan and the coverart is rip-off

Hope it's not quasi Intellectual "into the mind of the killer" like Maniac which I dont consider a slasher movie ..more like drama serial killer gore..

Last edited by slasherman on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

Actually they made goofy cover-arts ripping off several classic slashers... there's one for halloween as well ;p me I'm a huge Maniac fan, fucking brutal slasher one of the best ever... but I don't believe this has nothing to do with it anyway :) it's a slasher at a bowling alley, only pulling no punches, violent and sex-wise, with inventive kills, 80's cheese and yep, lots of gore and nothing offscreen... I'm not in ONLY for stuff like this, but I love the philosophy just as much as much as more subtle things.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

mascareiro wrote:
I'm a huge Maniac fan, fucking brutal slasher one of the best ever... .

I'm surprised it is considered a slasher....it breaks too many slasher rules in my opinion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

EDITED(though I don't think it was online enough for u to read anyway): I first replied as you were referring to gutterballs :P

as for Maniac, yep I think it is a slasher... lots of elements, first obviously because it's a about a man killing people... it has stalking scenes with suspense (pretty great one at a subway) etc.

Only it's more dark, gritty... I don't know why you think it's so far away from the slasher genre. If you want, elaborate :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

I have not seen Gutterballs so that I can not answer....as to Maniac and slasher rules I agree that the "rules" are a little blury. But to me Maniac feels more like a gory serial killer drama than a slasher movie. Maybe one rule is that it cant have to much drama like Maniac. You can't tell the audience too much what's going on "into the mind" of the killer. Even Psycho did not tell the audience who was the real mother.
Of course Maniac is a border line and has alot of slasher elements but I really think it's more of a serial killer type of movie.. or even absurd like Bad Boy Bubby (1993) which I guess you dont consider a slasher movie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 am  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

In Hell I Burn
thanks a lot Spud, really :beerchug:

Maniac is one of my fav movies too :rock:

and I agree with slasherman, more a serial-killer movie than a slasher: let's say a slasher/serial-killer movie ok? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

I just read... maniac quasi intellectual?! oh my god... so any slasher a little less dumb then fatal games, sleepaway camp or slumber party massacre is a quasi intellectual serial killer drama? pffft... maniac is a slasher (and a superior one) because of the killing ratio, the way they're portrait...the buildups and execution are totally slasher molded, the final chase/dramatic demise... only it's gritty, serious in tone (though totally over the top near the end and excessive in violence) adult... it's nothing like Henry, Silence of the lambs or American Psycho for example, the thing is it shows a little more of the killer's side, hundreds of other slashers do so (mainly the ones where the killer is a humanized figure)... doesn't have to be a killer with a sack in the head killing teenagers at random... Btw I must say I'm not even very fond of thrillers or more psychological serial killer stories and serial killer dramas...

If Maniac is quasi intellectual I wonder what's Ingmar Bergamn, Pasolini, Rosselini, fasbinder, herzog, truffaut... man, those guys are just brutal-fucking-crazy-outofthisworld intellectual, might even cause brain damage to watch one of their flicks. And in my opinion when I discuss slasher films there are so many other things more interesting to consider and talk about, so many thinner lines... like Just before dawn is a slasher or a survival flick? can a slasher have multiple killers, not like in Scream but let's say a group of different killers or a slasher has to be one people slashing around? can it have a monster as a killer, and will it always be a creature film or can it be a slasher? is there a rule as for the modus operandi for a slasher? etc etc.

Btw, I wish I had someone to back me up on this, 2 vs. 1 is a massacre :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

In Hell I Burn
well you are not 1 vs. 2, because I definitely agree with your last post; it's just that I think Maniac should be considered like a superb slasher with a magic touch; maybe I was just trying to explain that Lustig's movie is more complex than usual as a slasher flick :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

damn you're a pleaser! thanks :mrgreen:

:beerchug: let's drink for gutterballs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

Matool wrote:
well you are not 1 vs. 2, because I definitely agree with your last post; it's just that I think Maniac should be considered like a superb slasher with a magic touch; maybe I was just trying to explain that Lustig's movie is more complex than usual as a slasher flick :mrgreen:

Dont back down on your statement :?

mascareiro wrote:
I just read... maniac quasi intellectual?! oh my god... so any slasher a little less dumb then fatal games, sleepaway camp or slumber party massacre is a quasi intellectual serial killer drama? pffft... maniac is a slasher (and a superior one) because of the killing ratio, the way they're portrait...the buildups and execution are totally slasher molded, the final chase/dramatic demise... only it's gritty, serious in tone (though totally over the top near the end and excessive in violence) adult... it's nothing like Henry, Silence of the lambs or American Psycho for example, the thing is it shows a little more of the killer's side, hundreds of other slashers do so (mainly the ones where the killer is a humanized figure)... doesn't have to be a killer with a sack in the head killing teenagers at random... Btw I must say I'm not even very fond of thrillers or more psychological serial killer stories and serial killer dramas...

If Maniac is quasi intellectual I wonder what's Ingmar Bergamn, Pasolini, Rosselini, fasbinder, herzog, truffaut... man, those guys are just brutal-fucking-crazy-outofthisworld intellectual, might even cause brain damage to watch one of their flicks. And in my opinion when I discuss slasher films there are so many other things more interesting to consider and talk about, so many thinner lines... like Just before dawn is a slasher or a survival flick? can a slasher have multiple killers, not like in Scream but let's say a group of different killers or a slasher has to be one people slashing around? can it have a monster as a killer, and will it always be a creature film or can it be a slasher? is there a rule as for the modus operandi for a slasher? etc etc.

Btw, I wish I had someone to back me up on this, 2 vs. 1 is a massacre :D

First, the reason I called it quasi intellectual is based on the scenes where the director tries to get "into the mind" of the killer. Joe Spinell in my opinion is a very bad actor and has not the capacity to make the scenes believable or even funny. To me the scenes are just bad. That's why I called it quasi intellectual. Lustig tries hard and serious (I think) to make the "into the mind" scenes as chocking and good as he can. It just does'nt work cause Lustig is no great director and Joe Spinell is no good actor. I dont think the scenes are so bad it's good either. They try to add psychological depth but fails and it becomes quasi intellectual instead.

As to the slasher genre you have some interesting points. As to when it become a monster movie or a slasher movie or even a serial killer movie. There are many border lines and I guess it's up to the viewer to decide. I look at "Time Walker" as a slasher movie. But I guess you can call it a monster(alien) movie too or a sc.fi mystery thriller. Even a ghost movie can be considered a slasher movie. Let's say Michael Myers came back as a ghost in a new movie (being a ghost through the whole movie). Then I guess it would be both ghost and slasher movie.
But Maniac is not a slasher it only has slasher elements :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

of course, it'll always be a non-slasher for you, as it'll always be a slasher for me and the ppulation of a couple third world countries... who's counting?! :P kidding. Yep, I don't mean to make anyone change their minds on anything, so that's about it... thing is I find it funny how it almost sounds like since you're a huge slasher fan you don't want maniac to be a slasher by any means because you dislike the movie, but yet you seem to open space for way more stretched concepts for a slasher movie such as Time Walker or a possible michael myers killing as a ghost, so a movie about a spirit that kills is more slasher than maniac, or something like ghost in the machine, or anything that kills for that matter, a virus... a dog...the air.. is more of a slasher than a movie about a man killing people, making a considerable bodycount in a totally slashable fashion style of death scenes, with a main victim being chased throughout the movie and a epic (if you will) finale worth of stalking, over the top killer final demise and so on.

But yep, end of discussion, Maniac is not a Slasher :D you see, it's a win-win situation :watchingyou:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

Site Admin
I have indeed ordered it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

lucky boy, would you be so kind as to let me know how it is package and features-wise when it arrives spud? I'm kinda curious about it, you know since it's an independent effort and everything, looks like it has a lot of passion thrown in the making.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:36 am  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

mascareiro wrote:
I find it funny how it almost sounds like since you're a huge slasher fan you don't want maniac to be a slasher by any means because you dislike the movie

I dont hate it ..but it's not a favorite either
The reason I hope has nothing to do with me..just trying to keep the sub genre believable and not outwashed (watered out..if thats a english term)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)
Request Territory

Request Territory
always feel bad ripping low budget flicks like this :watchingyou:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Gutterballs (2008)

but you'll do it anyway? :P didn't quite get it, you have the dvd, don't have, got it but won't rip it as a social commentary? :P well, I'll definitely buy this down the road, reason I didn't pre-order it was I believe they might release a special edition somewhere in the future... you see, they're about to release special editions for both Torched and Live Feed later this year, I'm getting those too... gotta support ryan nicholson and plotdigger, I prefer a movie a year with that attitude even though not all of them will be horror masterpieces than enduring 6 asian pg-13 remakes every summer, THAT I won't support...

But now, if you're thinking of releasing gutterballs you should check on spud's rip status, he has it lined up... I think it might take a while for him to get it done, because I've read a note on plotdigger.com stating they had problems with the shipping for gutterballs, anyway, can't wait to finally check this bitch out.