Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:30 pm  Post subject: Gknot ripping questions...

Demon Of The Abyss
Well since I plan on doing new rips for the complete Friday the 13th collection I have a few questions...

Anyway with the advanced filesize becoming popular - the DVDs have MONO sound so is it worth making these rips 2x735mb size and with what audio specs? Should I put 448 mp3 VBR? Or should I stick with normal 2x700mb with 192 kb/s vbr mpr?

Cheers :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:21 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Why bother with anything over 1x700mb ?

STR ripped the first one a couple of years ago and the video awas absolutely fine @ 1CD.

2CD's for these films is HUGE overkill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:23 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Really? THe quality looks really fine though :(

Oh well :googley:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:30 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
You could do multiple rips and see for yourself what the best choice is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:45 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
The quality will look fine, it's just a pointless size for movies that don't need the extra bitrate.

Encode to 700Mb with vbr mp3 and they quality will be nigh on identical

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:43 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I agree with PC Arcade, higher bitrate doesn't mean better q, the bigger firsizes that are being released all have AC3 witch takes up about half of the size. So if you only have mono on the dvd, stick to 700mb, also it's worth searching to see if movies have been ripped before, if they have check the codec, if its divx 3 :matrix: then it definetly needs redoing, but most xvid rips of 90min movies are fine
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:13 pm  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
Sad to see people still stuck with antique nx700 filesizes. I am surprised why you ever moved from floppy drives to CD-writers even. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:59 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
the bigger firsizes that are being released all have AC3 witch takes up about half of the size.

not exactly, about 150mb for a 90min AC3 track, which is about 3 or 4 times bigger than mp3. Its not very much of a 1.45GB rip though, less than 10% (okay.. okay... i suck at maths, leave me alone :lol: ).

Questions, this is particular regards to horror:
1. mono? chances are it doesn't need ac3? Save AC3 for either a popular unripped movie with mass market appeal, or where its a decent 5.1+ track.
2. B-movie? Famous movie? 5.1? Horror movies don't need an AFR/2cd rip most of the times. Low budget or unspectacular films enjoy better spread and are perfectly acceptable in.

Phantasm, Hellraiser, etc. I would say have enough appeal for 2cd releases. Something like a troma movie, or an old 70s/80s movies its not probably worth bothering with. Friday the 13th, i don't know, it depends if you have the bandwidth and put the attention into the rip needed.

Take a look at the unseen Nightmare on Elm Street movies, they went down really well and look great. Far, far better than you could ever get with a 1cd (and infact i ditched my 1cds with those better rips). But they have fat lines to share them with.

My 2cents. Phantasm went down well at a large filesize, an okay rip at 1cd was perfectly feasible, but they were popular enough and famous enough for something a bit more. The source was also pretty clean.

I usually, especially for cheap crap use strictly 1cd, but i've done a number of larger rips in the past.

If you've got the line to back it up, i'm not sure i agree with PCA though on 1cd being anything other than adequet. Friday the 13th movies suck balls, but if there was a consistant release of some decent quality prints that aren't butchered or messed up in anyway, and ripped well i'd probably take them and dump the 1cds pretty sharpish. But you need the line to back this stuff up and make sure you can keep them shared, which for example, is hard for me to do with my uk line alone.

Most of the time, 1cd is perfectly fine. If its a famous or already ripped movie, you've basically got to 1up existing ones someway if there's any point in ripping. As a horror fan, for most movies 1cd is more suited for distribution.