Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:42 am  Post subject: emule, file status : suspend ?! too many sources?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I had emule set on 200 hard limit for max sources and 150 connection limits... never thought of it, then I tried to download 2 movies from the high quality section, black night and salvage... and surprise, both had more than 600 sources :| they got "suspend" status, whats that? I figures it had to do with the max number of sources, set that to 1000 and they're downloading now, normally I guess... what the heck, do those movies really have 600 sources each? is it some kind of a bug? strange... good thing they're well spread though ;p and can I keep those numbers that hight? I set them on 1000 sources / 600 connections ... is that ok? cause that "suspend" thing is a bitch, sometimes you wont notice and forget about the download...

thanks for any help ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:13 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Suspended i believe means that you've tried to open a connection but the connection is being postponed for what ever reason, here, likely your connection limit was too low. I think it also says suspended temporarily because it would be like DOSing if you suddenly and instantly querying hundreds of ips upon adding a download, usually you are limited to a certain number of connections per second, and it puts all the others on suspended and slowly works its way through the list of sources.

So there's no need to worry about suspended messages under status.

If your wondering if its a bug or anything about the source count, no, those films just have a lot of sources because theya re more popular. Its just a shame some of the harder to get rips have no sources.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:29 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
well, still amazed at the numer of sources though, never thought black night would have 600 sources... maybe something like the ring... i dont know :) pretty cool then, too bad about some other rips as you said.

The suspend thing (it really says suspend there hehe) is a little annoying cause the file when in "suspend" status is not "waiting", so it'll never download (it seems), it goes downnn there at the bottom of all the files (the offline ones) and you can easily forget about them hehe that sucks, then you'll be wondering, did I get that movie?! did I not?! where the hell did I put it... duh, anyways, not that big deal.. seems it was really the max sources limit, set to 1000 and those files are downloading now or at least "waiting" ... but again... is it bad to keep that 1000 limit? can I have problems with that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:35 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
no, and you'll probably never reach it. I think my peak connections was something like 720, and my max is around ~480. If your on very high speed bandwidth you'll reach 1000 connections. There's no negative implications, only from capping it too low.

Speaking of which, as a joke, we used to tell newbies struggling configuring the old edonkey2000 (before emule existed) to put in values of 1000/2000/4000 in the connections field which was basically a placebo. We did this because we knew that it was mere impatient behaviour that was causing the perceived problems.

Most of the time, you'd get a response saying it had work, and you'd get some people passing on the advice too :lol: lol, i'm pretty sure i remember a few people being duped by that one :wacky: