Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:51 pm  Post subject: Servers on e-donkey - Which are safe and best?

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
The title say all:

What servers are safe for the internet protection, expecily law and copyright for piracy?

I need help, because today my net provider sent me mail that I've been doing illegal operation by downloading the movie.

oh, yeah, and how do I connect to Kad server?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:20 pm  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
You haven't been using PeerGuardian2 have you? This might help with your problem.

http://phoenixlabs.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
thanks...

Can someone tell me what is GuardianPeer for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:39 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
I don't think there's much to be gotten from an edonkey2000 server, they've been used as honeypots before for years but I've never heard of anything come from it.

Quote:
I need help, because today my net provider sent me mail that I've been doing illegal operation by downloading the movie.

That isn't done via servers, its done by other crawling cliens and despite it being scarey, its usually won't come of anything. Unshare the movie in question for a while then try again later.

http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/ ... ticeID=855

If you need to reply to that message, so your son or cousin, or whoever that's staying with you (depending on what the movie is)

Quote:
PeerGuardian2

might help, but emule sends out ips from third person parties, so you can send it to a 'safe' peer and the 'safe' person sends it to a 'bad' peer. Essentially its outdone. However, you might as well, some of the ranges are bad ips and hackers, and given the resource usage is low, why not? Its an okay firewall.

Don't think it will stop a cease and desist letter though or offer protection

Quote:
Can someone tell me what is GuardianPeer for?

Its a firewall that contains huge ip ranges from people like BayTSP who are the number one sender of cease and desist letters to my knowledge (they work for Paramount pictures).... this is what a cease and desist letter like them looks like:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/ ... ticeID=855

But there's huge ranges like the FBI, etc. There's also loads of legitimate clients because they list is made by people suffering from paranoia (as is needed to compile such lists).

As stated above, its not exactly a real measure, and only works blocking direct connections, but its probably better running it if you have no ip block lists, even if its just to filter out bad/fake part seeders.

Quote:
oh, yeah, and how do I connect to Kad server?

Go to the KAD tab and hit connnect. Your on kad. If you can't do that, you need to check your firewall is open on the required ports.

Detailed firewall info is available on http://www.emule-project.net in the help section.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I read somewhere when the bad guys first started monitoring p2p that they would need to actually download a chunk from you otherwise it would not stand up in a court of law. Obviously they are not doing this, maybe someone with a better knowledge of law than me can explain this?

The solution would be for all new versions of emule to force a mandatory download of a standard blocklist each day and refuse to connect to any peers using a lower version number. This way the bad guys wouldn't be able to obtain the IP address of anyone using this version and so its use would be safe. I would think this would be easy enough to implement, don't know why none of the developers have thought of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:35 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I read somewhere when the bad guys first started monitoring p2p that they would need to actually download a chunk from you otherwise it would not stand up in a court of law. Obviously they are not doing this, maybe someone with a better knowledge of law than me can explain this?

I think this was a rumour, every case against P2P that i recall is always dropped for the mpaa because of lack of evidence. I've not heard of one that's gone for trial.

Indeed, the BPI just did a pr campaign and all they did was take a screenshot of the shared folder and a list of ips, files and times. They sent this to tiscali and tiscali have turned round and said "so, what does this prove?"
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1242
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1243

As you can see from the isps response, what they are gathering isn't good enough to do anything. The BPI are trying to blackmail the isps because the courts aren't doing anything.

I'm not sure mandatory blocklists aren't more harm than good, its just as likely going to boot out thousands of legitimate users than it is 'the bad guys'. I can see why they don't do it, I wouldn't force a blocklist either.

I think its pretty much confirmed all they do is go through the network gathering ips, times and filenames. They don't need to download to do that. Its all scare tactics, and not one case has come to caught that's solely p2p usage that i'm aware of. They aim for the pr, and try and scare into settling out of court. When it gets to court though, they have so far always dropped the case. So far anyway.

ps. please don't get complacent from this post, I would still say you might as well download and install peerguardian 2. Its an okay firewall for blocking out bad peers if nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:43 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Thanks spud... :beerchug: