Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:47 pm  Post subject: Gknot undersized comptest percent...

Demon Of The Abyss
:o

After doing my last rip, something went down the toilet, and I can't figure out what...

Anyway, the comptest percent is always half or less of what it should be... For example, I intentionally put the size of a 90min to 1.45gb with 192kb/s audio, but the comptest value is 40-50% :o And I know it should be over 100%

Now I wouldn't usually give a flying poo, but I think it's affecting ripping quality, a 90min movie at 745mb with low audio bitrate looks like total crap and same goes for bigger file-size :cry:

I tried re-installing Gknot, XviD codec, and even the registry...but same poop.

Anyone have any idea? :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:05 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Can you post some uncompressed screens from the rip?

Also, try running IFOEdit on the VOBs. Open IFO edit, open the VOBs, click "Get VTS Sectors" and see if you get any sectors corrected. If you get no popup, they're fine. If you do, keep clicking it until you have no more popups.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Okey... this is from the 1.45gb , the comptest for that size told me around 50% quality... Unlike over 100% that it should have said...

Look at the hand :o

I'll try IFOedit later, but I doubt VOBS are bad, since the comptest is screwed with other DVD vobs I also tried :cry:

Or maybe I just went totally coockoo :lol: Actually I need to try things out with something I already ripped to see if there's a difference 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:24 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Firstly, the % doesn't mean much. Compressibility test is based on an antequated notion of quality, it gets the bpp and there's a preset scale of what bpp you should have at which resolution. Remember if you've got a huge change in the compressibility of the movie, that the compressibility test is only based on a segment of the movie. Its still okay for a rough guide mind, but i generally ignore it.

Secondly, after clearing and resinstalling, make sure your on the very latest version of gknot, which you can get from the doom9 forums.

Thirdly, make sure you upgrade xvid, the one in the codec pack is very, very old now. Get keopi's latest unstable build.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:25 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Thanks for the tips Spud, I think I have all the latest stuff but not sure :wacky:

Hmmm need to take a shower to clear my mind :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:47 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
:o Now I'm getting the stats not found error when the second pass starts :o

Guess I screwed everything completely... Reinstall again :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Lux Delux wrote:
:o Now I'm getting the stats not found error when the second pass starts :o

I don't know if you're getting undersized rips, but the first thing you do, if you even get one, is to check the quantization values in XviD configuration. The minimums should be 1 and the maximums should be 31. Many guides say that the minimums should be 2, but then XviD if unable to fatten the file with q1 (highest quality) pixels to reach a certain filesize, if the movie is otherwise easily compressable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:46 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Well actually you should leave the defaults at 2 and only ever set them to 1 if you get undersizing from what i've been told by people that know their stuff.

So make sure the defaults are at 2, but if your having problems, for that particular encode put them at 1. You can also try change the BVOP ratio to 1.4 from 1.5, that usually fixes undersizing ;)

However, here i think its more likely an old version of xvid and his registry settings are clearly fried. The "Delete Registry Keys" button has been pressed right lux?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:35 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Ooopsy sorry for not replying :oops:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
The "Delete Registry Keys" button has been pressed right lux?

Yeah, done that before :wink: But I guess the problem was in not using the latest XviD build, so thanks for that tip.

Didn't check if the comptest is still screwed, but did try making an AFS of Return Of Living Dead and I think the ripping is back to normal :D

:mrgreen: nice zombie right there :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:26 am  Post subject: Re: Gknot undersized comptest percent...

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
Lux Delux wrote:
Anyway, the comptest percent is always half or less of what it should be... For example, I intentionally put the size of a 90min to 1.45gb with 192kb/s audio, but the comptest value is 40-50% :o And I know it should be over 100%

And how exactly do you know that the comptest should be above 100%? 40-50% are values which I have often encountered. Means the compressibility of the material is poor. Tips for increasing the compressibility -> Lower the resolution, lower the audio bitrate, raise the number of max. cons bvops, use AQ, do some denoising etc. If nothing works, increase the target size.