Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:44 pm  Post subject: Strange, please explain.

The Ancient One
My mule got all messed up and my userhash changed, but I am using the blackhand mod and it shows who I have upload credits with, now the strange thing is that it is still showing that I have credit with loadsa ppl, but I assumed this was to do with my userhash, but obviously not.

Could someone plz explain why, if my userhash has changed, I still have credits with all these ppl? Could it be something to do with that new file I found, cryptkey?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:10 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Well as far as I know credit is associated with emule NOT userhash.

So it must be a file in the emule directory that keeps track of your upload/download credits etc.

So if you delete emule and install a fresh, even with the same hash, the credits are reset!!!

Maybe some-one can tell you which file it is, but check your emule directory for a file that could be storing your credit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:23 pm  Post subject:
a member of the recently deceased

nope
remote users store your credits
u store credits of users who upload to u.
cuz if own credirs would be on your comp - u can hack 'em.

that's waht i know

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:12 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Exactly what prayer wrote. Plus your userhash is important because other clients (that store YOUR credits) know you only by it.

Your userhash is stored in preferences.dat, other clients info (userhashes, credits, last contact...) are in clients.met. There's also cryptkey.dat which contains your private key for authentication enabled mods (emule 0.30+).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:21 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
@ graag.

So if I change my name from

paul-scream22[HHAH]
to
paul-scream22_{HHAH}

then i lose my userhash???

or is it based on your client???

So the credit i have with other cliet=nts is wasted???

Does any-one know a resource (webpage with more info) becuase I would really like to know the ins and outs of emule!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:37 pm  Post subject:

Paul
nope, userhach soes not depend on your nickname

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:45 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Butr I lost my whole congig folder, all the files in it were lost, I was only able to salvage some of the temp file, I lost a couple of downloads. I installed a fresh copy of emule and my userhash changed, so how do all those clients know I should have those credits? The only files remaining from the original install are a few partly downloaded films, nothing else.
:matrix:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:58 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
When eMule starts up it checks if you have the userhash. If you don't have it (first installation, it was somehow deleted etc) it generates a new one and stores it in preferences.dat file (among some other stuff). Userhash is not connected to your username/program/IP address/whatever - it is generated as 16 random bytes and then some locations of the hash get filled with predefined values. It's a good idea to make a backup copy of it, as it's an equivalent of a SSN number or ID card.

Then there's also UserID which serves as your address - everytime you switch IP your UserID changes just as if you moved in the real life. Other clients need it so that they know where they can contact you. As it's computed from your IP address there's no need to store it.

Finally there's also your private/public key stored in cryptkey.dat which is a bit more complicated (basically it guarantees that you are really you - they can stole your hash, but your private key is safe) but I'm sure there's a detailed description on <a href=http://www.emule-project.net/>emule-project.net</a>.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:18 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
TaKYoN wrote:
Butr I lost my whole congig folder, all the files in it were lost, I was only able to salvage some of the temp file, I lost a couple of downloads. I installed a fresh copy of emule and my userhash changed, so how do all those clients know I should have those credits? The only files remaining from the original install are a few partly downloaded films, nothing else.
:matrix:

eMule FAQ wrote:
> All Clients uploading to you are rewarded by the credit system. It does not matter if the client supports the credit system or not.
> Not supporting clients will grant you no credits when you upload to them.
> Credits are not global. They are exchanged between two specific clients
> Credits are stored in the clients.met file. The unique user hash is used to identify the client.
> Your own credits are saved by the client who owes you the credit. This prevents faking the credits.
> Your own credits cannot be displayed

Not exactly sure about this, but I think that your credits are only calculated (for display purposes) from other client's. They are the same as your real credits on his machine but not in all cases. If you changed userhash, your credits there are zilch. :evil:

If it weren't for your cryptkey you could try and manually change the userhash to your original one with a hex editor, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work now - all you'd get from other clients is "Invalid identification"..

There's still hope - I may be wrogn. :wink: