Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 am  Post subject: Resize & Crop

The Ancient One
Anybody know of a good program to resize & crop downloaded avis?
Only thing I've found to do it is VdubMod with the DivX6.5 codec. Only problem is that the size isnt controlable & it can end up anything from 400mb to 1.5gig :wacky:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
why do you want to resize and crop?

VdubMod -> you need to use a bitrate calculator, - the audio from the target filesize, then make sure your doing a two pass encode... you go to the codec, and set up your first pass -> file>save as, check the defer button, then you go to the codec, and set up your second pass -> file>save as, then you go to file>job control and hit start. You must have discard first pass checked. If your only doing a one pass, then its just guessing at the filesize, since you don't have the second pass to compensate for over/under estimations.

Instructions for VdubMod are the same for nandub or vdub on a base level:
http://doom9.free.fr/xvid-vdub.htm

You should be using full mode, not fast recompress... well since your re-encoding and loosing quality, i suppose your not overly concerned about quality, just that it plays on some restrictive device? My advice is unwavering on that front, replace the device. Or is it for a portable? Your probably better off with a one click transcoder since the screen is very small.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:44 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Its none of the above, its simply I've d/led something I wanted to post but when you play it its been ripped wrong. By changing the AR in the player to 16:9 its right, is there any way to correct that without reencoding it ?

Thanks for the advice :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I'd suggest not re-encoding. The only time you should is when your doing a compression; vcd -> xvid, dvd -> xvid, hdtv -> xvid....

Cropping post is worse than not cropping in the first point, since the source is now already compromised in terms of quality. Damage has been done :( Although if you were to re-encode, of course it needs doing :) However...

AR can be fixed by playback hardware or software manually, for example on the xbox i just have to hit a button and it will stretch to widescreen or fullscreen. Mediaplayer classic or zoomplayer, the option is on a right click menu, and i suspect nearly all standalones will have an option to fix.

So you can just post it in lower quality and if you have some recommended settings or an avs script for people to fix it, just post that too. However, its not worth re-encoding to fix those problems, the damage is already done, but ar is something that can be handled during playback

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:22 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
OK, I'll post as is with a note :D

What is an avs script though? Unfortunately I'm more hardware than software literate :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
when you do an encode in gknot, or autogknot for the matter it basically uses a .avs script of all the changes and loads that into nandub for encoding.

Avisynth script looks like:
Code:
AviSource("/path/to/avi.avi")
crop(xx,xx,xx,xx)
LanczosResize(xx,yyy)