Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:21 pm  Post subject: cropping help for VirtualDub

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
hi I'm having problems with saving a cropped movie in VirtualDub...I have cropped it with the filter null transform..that worked fine...the problem is that I dont manage to save the cropped file...it always comes out as the orginal file..not cropped...

..so how do i save it ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:35 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Just a quick check, do you know how to use virtual dub? If so, don't get insulted cos i'm going to the basics, if not make sure you do the following.

You'd first apply all the filters, then setup the first pass, then save as avi > defer, then setup the second pass ensuring the filters are applied, save as avi > defer, then start the job under job control.
You'd have to be in video>Full processing mode.

I'd probably write an avs file to crop though, get the values you want to crop off and then add crop(1,2,3,4) with your values in place. Something like...

Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\PROGRAMS\Video\Encoding\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
mpeg2source("I:\Encodes\Dust Devil - Final\dust devil.d2v")
crop(0,6,718,468)
LanczosResize(XXX,YYY)

or why not use gknot?

I assume your encoding some vobs here, if your re-encoding an avi for the sole purpose of cropping you'd be wasting your time :) And if you are encoding vobs, just use gknot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:35 am  Post subject:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Just a quick check, do you know how to use virtual dub?

no :lol:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
You'd first apply all the filters, then setup the first pass, then save as avi > defer, then setup the second pass ensuring the filters are applied, save as avi > defer, then start the job under job control.

were do I do the passing ? Is it this button ?..and do I open the new saved avi file in VirtualDub then do the second pass ?

spudthedestroyer wrote:

when I use that the MB goes out of controll...like a avi file that is 700 MB becomes 10000 MB or something

spudthedestroyer wrote:

if your re-encoding an avi for the sole purpose of cropping you'd be wasting your time

?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:03 am  Post subject:

think I found out some more...I have to go in here ?

then use the xvid compression ?..I found out more I'm doing the first pass now...but when that is finished do I just change to second pass ? or do I open the saved avi file and then take the second pass ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:57 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I'd highly recommend you take this opportunity to switch to GKnot :) its been a long time since i used vdub since its not necessary when you use gknot.

Sound like your only doing 1passes which are a waste. Are you processing a badly cropped avi? If so, why are you re-encoding? Cropping is only ever worthwhile in the initial rip, if you do it just for the sake of cropping your just making things worse. Or are you reducing the filesize for a portable or something? Just making sure you get the need for cropping in the first place.

Basically, you go to video>compression, and setup your first pass. You then go to file>save avi as. There's a checkbox where you can defer the job. You then go to video>compression and setup your second pass. You then go to file>save avi as, and check the same checkbox.

You then go to job control and click run.

That will do a proper 2 pass.

Once again, use gknot ;)

Quote:
if your re-encoding an avi for the sole purpose of cropping you'd be wasting your time

If you are loading in an avi just to crop it, then this is a completely worthless exercise... infact your making matters substantially worse, the damage has been irreversably done.

Basically on initial encoding you need to crop out black borders because they occupy a lot of bits/s and reduce the overall quality of the rip. If someone badly crops, that's it, its unfixable since the potential quality it should have been has already been capped.

I've seen a few people who aren't sure what's wrong with bad cropping and think its something you can fix with a re-encoding.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:10 pm  Post subject:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Once again, use gknot ;)

yes I use that to rip dvd's.. autoGK that is...but cant crop in auto GK ?

spudthedestroyer wrote:
If you are loading in an avi just to crop it, then this is a completely worthless exercise... infact your making matters substantially worse, the damage has been irreversably done.

okey this answered all my questions...thought it was possible to correct an cropping error done by somebody else ...without loosing quality... :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:23 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Slasherman, if youre as aprehensive as I was to try GK, use these 2 guides to help you & then use my first rip thread to help you with the bits you dont understand. By the time youve used it twice, you'll understand pretty much how it all works...

Spuds Ripping Tips V1.0... http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=7124

http://www.doom9.org

The thread I used to get all my help after using the above 2 sources for help... http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=14469

Its actually not as difficult to use as it looks, its just very daunting when all youre used to is a 1 click application like AGK. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:10 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Indeed, with cropping its not the that the black border is there and looks ugly or anything, its the waste/deterioration in bitrate for having a pointless black border there. The black border isn't that big an issue in itself, its the waste :(