Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:29 pm  Post subject: Security Help

Dead But Dreaming
Hello all. I have my windows firewall turned off, bad idea? I am running Nod 32 to do scans of everything coming in and out of my PC. I killed Norton about 6 mths ago :mrgreen:. To do a virus scan I use spy sweeper but every scan never finds anything. I don't know if its a good thing that Nod is stoping all the bad shit or maybe spy sweeper isn't working. Any one got some programs I should check out to help keep me safe :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:24 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I have my windows firewall turned off, bad idea?

The windows firewall is utterly pathetic, it offers little to no security advantage and is a complete joke.

Quote:
I am running Nod 32 to do scans of everything coming in and out of my PC

nod32 is okay, but nothing i'd recommend.

The best firewall you can get is a hardware one, in your router, as far as viruses go:
1) don't use internet explorer, this will eliminate almost completely the risk from getting malicious code if you use mozilla firefox. That isn't an understatement.
2) be careful with blind downloads, get verified links over those found in blind searches
3) Don't accept random .exes, .zips, etc. people send to you
4) Don't use outlook to check your mail, use a better application like The Bat!, Eudora, or even better Thunderbird (or thunderbird portable). These will minimise any risk of viruses from email attachments
5) On a similar note, don't ever open unexpected attachments.

You probably won't even need a virus scanner if you use your noggin ;)

You'll probably get some tracking cookies, etc. but these are just related to brower adds. Run Adaware and spybot: search and destroy every month or so to clean those out.

Switch to mozilla and get adblock plus extension. Also switch to thunderbird portable.

I use AVG for 'active' protection, its not the best but its got a tiny memory footprint. I've never had the need to run a system scan, or rather when it has, Its never found anything beyond a cookie or a legitimate program.

You might want to try peerguardian2 with some ip block ranges. i wouldn't run it on port 80, but for emule, etc. its worthwhile I guess.