Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:59 pm  Post subject: How many files are too many?

Dead But Dreaming
Hey all. I am trying to clean out my current emule que to start downloading movies to my external 500 gig. I am wondering what is fast to mybe add 50 to 100 movies then wait for them to complete and add more or to just add 500 gigs worth of links :twisted: What works faster? Does it matter?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:43 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I have about 800 files queued or something ridiculous. You'll run out of space if you leave them all waiting though, so i've started ordering by most complete and pausing until i clear them out of my queue.

Its a really, really bad idea to use an external hard drive though for an emule temp file. Bandwidth via cat, usb or firewire is incredibly shitty and totally inadequet if you want to avoid corruption.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:47 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
So speed doesn't really matter with the more you add? It looks like I might have to ditch my external if it wont work for what I would like to do. I would download movies on it (use it as a temp). Why would movies corrupt downloading on it if I can easily add movies with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:07 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Quote:
So speed doesn't really matter with the more you add?

There is a breaking point.

If you only add 1 file, your speed wouldn't be much. Adding say 100 files will improve download speed. Cause you'll be downloading several files.
Theoretically the more you add the more speed you get.

But it's limited by your bandwidth. When you add too much you'll notice a lot of 'lag' doing other things. Cause of all the connections being made by emule.
This is easier with some routers than with others, some can handle a lot more connections.

I just added like 1700 files last week and I do notice my browsing has become somewhat slower :roll:
So setting some files on pause and limitting the number of connections used, helped with that.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:11 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Thanks for the info Vae! So would it be a bad idea to use my external to dl files on?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:20 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
I would download movies on it (use it as a temp). Why would movies corrupt downloading on it if I can easily add movies with no problems.

I/O issues, external drives simply aren't designed for constant access. External via usb/firewire is for storage, or more so portability... i still would prefer a hotswap bay over something over USB.

The usb chipset is slower and has a lower priority than IDE/SATA channels, and its worse off system wise putting data across that. if your computer crashes or there's a delayed write it will leave the data in a bad state. Delayed writes are likely with usb.

Contrast this with IDE or SATA and you have a higher write speed, less I/O problems (ie. the internal interfaces have a higher processing priority than external), and not to mention you've got faster writes/reads. I would suggest re-arranging your data or putting a HDD inside your machine for your temp files, and then maybe putting completes on your external. As far as external goes, your a lot safer with reads than writes.

Its a bad idea to use an external drive for a temp drive. A completes drive is fine though, since it copies the data across then removes your temp... but lag is going to be visible and if it can't get the i/o when it needs, its going to corrupt and dump the part its attempting to write.

There is a compromise, there's an interface called eSATA, which is better than USB/Firewire since its got a higher priority and higher bandwidth.

I would suggest re-arranging your data so that internal drives have all temp data. Of course you may not notice any problems continuing as you were, but its just not as good really. You'll probably be able to see less cpu utilisation and a bit more system stability too by not putting things through your USB interface.

Adding more files is a placebo really, its not going to increase your speed in getting a single file... infact if your limited connection wise its going to mean its actually worse off for one file, but if you have the space it means your downloading more across the board and therefore you'll see a higher total speed.

Sharing more upload wise helps the most for a single file increase. If you give more to the clients your downloading off, your queue position on those peers will be higher, which means you'll download from them more often.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:04 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I have what I think is an eSATA card that came with my board. Simply connect up to 2 SATA ribbons from the board controllers to the card, power it with a molex & then you can plug in 2 SATA drives from the outside of the case. Obviously it would be wise to make a 'blue peter' box for the drives first :googley:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:14 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
It look like this:

??

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:28 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
similar but what you show there has no molex socket. This is what I have:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:30 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
neat, i want!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:48 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
check ebay, its part of the ASUS A8NSli Deluxe board extras. Should pick that whole thing up very cheap. Pinch the part & resell it lol
The board was the first SLi board & had a hell of a lot of problems initially. ASUS used its customers as guinea pigs. It kept crashing & other issues. Took them 6 months to release a bios that cured 99% of the problems. Its running great now & I still use it for the gaming pc but I'll not buy another ASUS SLi board coz I'm not gonna go through that crap again. Drove me & hundreds of other people nuts. :evil: