Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 41  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:56 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
You can unpack the AVI with MPEG4Modifier. So if it is only packed bitstream you want to get rid of you better use that since it does the job in no time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:27 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
No, it is several things. I changed it already and gonna make a new rip tonight. Tomorrow we'll see what GK brings me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Wow, something went totally wrong! The job took 10 hours and there was no avi file!

So, I set up GK yet another time (that some of you guys go and rerip a movie over and over again is now more understandable to me, but still a bit freaky - especially when the rip looks OK and it gets reripped AGAIN) and tried for the 4th time.

I think I forgot some stuff, but I'm sure I added those commandlines again. Somehow the avs won't load and GK would crash to desktop. So I ooaded the d2v instead and did what I had done before, and it looked like this before clicking Save&Encode:

Code:
#  PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\decomb.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\KernelDeInt.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\UnDot.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\dgbob.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\Convolution3d.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\FluxSmooth.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\TomsMoComp.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\VSFilter.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\SimpleResize.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\RemoveGrain.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\mt_masktools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\MaskTools.dll")
Import("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\LimitedSharpenFaster.avs")

Questions I have now are:

1) What's the difference between lines with or without a # in the avs (see above)?
2) Why would LimitedSharpenFaster not work for me (check screenshot below)? Do I need it imported as an avs, or as an avsi?
3) Why can't GK 'remember' my settings as I have saved them in the avs? I think it's kind of retarded that I have to add those lines again and again every rip. Which solution is available for this?
4) Loading a matrix is done by selecting it and clicking OK, right? That's all I need to do, or did I miss something?
5) Why does the following happen (it seems pretty illogical to me): I click save after editing the avs. When I re-open the avs, the added lines have disappeared again. What is this "save" button for, then, if it does not save? Only clicking "Save&Encode" brought me further, but when I look at the screens, it doesn't seem like the avs has used the added lines.
6) What would be the next best step for me? I'd like to learn to make sharper rips, higher quality.

Screenshot from the rip I finally posted (I don't see much difference between this one and the first one which I took from the avi, see some pages back):

Rip is here, btw: http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=16741

Everyone who's been helpful in here, thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:56 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I'm also new to this stuff but I think I can help you with some questions. ;)

Slayer wrote:

1) What's the difference between lines with or without a # in the avs (see above)?

Lines with a # before are commented out. For me as a software engineer this is nothing new. It means they are ignored by the program because they are interpreted as comments. You can use the # sign to comment your AVS file.

Slayer wrote:
2) Why would LimitedSharpenFaster not work for me (check screenshot below)? Do I need it imported as an avs, or as an avsi?

As far as I can see the LimitedSharpenFaster.avs contains only the function declaration/definition. You have to call the function yourself after the Import. This means that the LimitedSharpenFaster.avs contains only the definition of a sharpen procedure/technique and gives it a name. The procedure has several options that you can use to control how the sharpening is applied to your video. You can pass these options to the procedure when you "call" it. Look at the file video-man posted above. In some line he calls LimitedSharpenFaster (looks something like this: LimitedSharpenFaster(....)) with special parameters. The meaning of the parameters are described using comments in the beginning of the LimitedSharpenFaster.avs file.

Slayer wrote:
3) Why can't GK 'remember' my settings as I have saved them in the avs? I think it's kind of retarded that I have to add those lines again and again every rip. Which solution is available for this?

I think someone mentioned above that you need to save your AVS to the hard disc the first time you encode your video and than open it again at the next try and change everything you didn't like in your first encode.

Slayer wrote:
4) Loading a matrix is done by selecting it and clicking OK, right? That's all I need to do, or did I miss something?

Yes I think so.

Slayer wrote:
5) Why does the following happen (it seems pretty illogical to me): I click save after editing the avs. When I re-open the avs, the added lines have disappeared again. What is this "save" button for, then, if it does not save? Only clicking "Save&Encode" brought me further, but when I look at the screens, it doesn't seem like the avs has used the added lines.

That seems to be strange. Although I've never changed the AVS file within GKnot yet. No idea.

Slayer wrote:
6) What would be the next best step for me? I'd like to learn to make sharper rips, higher quality.

Try applying the LimitedSharpenFaster "filter" and experiment with it. I'll abort the download of "The Boneyard" and wait until you figured that one out. Try it several times maybe with a small part of the movie until it satisfies you. Maybe you can also try different matrices. But then again, I'm also quite new to this stuff. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:00 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Quote:
I'll abort the download of "The Boneyard" and wait until you figured that one out.

OK, suit yourself, but this is gonna take a long time. And probably I'm gonna try it out on other movies. Maybe in the future I will make a rerip, like Visceral mentioned.

Trying out different matrices is what I want, sure, but it will take time before I will be 100% satisfied. For now, The Boneyard is OK enough to put it in LQ and I'll leave it at that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:09 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
As you wish. The problem with rerips is (mostly with popular movies) that if there is no real increase in quality, people are not likely to download it if a similar rip is already widely spread.

If you see 2 entries for "The Boneyard" in your eMule search results. One with 16 sources and one with 1. Guess what the people are going to click?

I'll put your rip back into my queue. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:10 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I know what you mean, but like I said before, the other rip is not complete. This one is.

If you see 2 entries for "The Boneyard" in your eMule search results. One is complete, the other isn't. Guess what the people are going to click?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:12 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
:mrgreen:

Actually with the 2 rips I meant your topical one and the one that you may do in the future. :roll:

You don't mean this rip or yours is incomplete, do you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:27 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Hehe, LOL. I thought you meant the rip you found in eMule search and the one I just made.

The rip I posted is complete.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Slayer wrote:

Some of this elchup answered, but here goes:

1. They're commented out (ignored by GK)
2. Did you apply it to the rip?

eg (last line and one above):

Code:
mpeg2source("C:\_JBDC\jbd.d2v")
Telecide(order=1,guide=0).Decimate()
crop(14,0,698,474)
LanczosResize(512,384)
degrainmedian(mode=3)
video=last
sharp = LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0,ss_y=1.0,Smode=4,strength=120)
Soothe(sharp,video,120)

3. When you press 'Save' in GK, you're saving the avs based on the current GK settings, so any modifications you make will be overwritten. What I do is make a new avs called 'movie_LSF.avs' and then on the final GK screen you can point it to the custom file, instead of its own 'movie.avs' and it won't be overwritten.

4. Yes. You need to do it twice though, once for each pass. You should notice the matrix numbers change.

5. See point 3.

6. Get GK down first. Worry about those things later. Nobody starts with CQM's and custom filters. Just stick with GK until you're comfortable, then start worrying about editing the avs manually etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:50 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
BadBugs wrote:
Has anybody else tried this guide?
If so, could you give me some feedback on areas that need improving or say that it worked for you please?

I recently used this guide for my "first" GK rip to take advantage of grayscale. With some help, I was able to produce something acceptable. The one section that was a bit different for me was audio. Mine was MPA decoded to WAV, then re-encoded to MP3.

spudthedestroyer wrote:
When you click save and encode, there's a button to edit your avs, which you can edit and hit preview to see how it looks.

This is the part I'd like to learn about.

Since (I think) I've got the basics of GK down, I'll try to continue using it for future rips. My source is almost always the same, (NTSC, interlaced, full screen) so I would like to know how to optimize the settings for my situation.

I've started an encoding job with the basic settings for now. Should I post my results & questions in this thread, or start a new one?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:07 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I need some help guys. I have this movie that I want to rip.

Problem: Compressibility Test gives "0.211" = 21% which is pretty bad. :(

However I tried to reduce the resolution from 640x480 to 576x432 but the value almost didn't increase. Do you have an idea what the problem is?

Video (input): PAL, 720x576, 4:3
Audio (input): AC-3 224 kbit/s
Output: 1,46 GB (10% Audio) using Jawor's 2 CD high bitrate matrix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Change audio to MP3 VBR instead of AC3. Then, run a new compressibility test.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I've also tried that with the same result. :?

Question #2: If I click Preview in the Compressibility Test dialog, does the preview look (almost) like the final video will?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:30 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Sorry I think I got this wrong. :oops:

The middle bottom part of the main window looks like this:

Bits/(Pixel*Frame):

[ 0.275 ] [ ]% of [ ] First Pass Stats
[ LOAD ] [137.7]% of [0.199] Compressibility Test

So it's 137.7% (with red background) and not 20%. :o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:54 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Slayer wrote:
Change audio to MP3 VBR instead of AC3. Then, run a new compressibility test.

Should be able to have AC3 with a 1.46GB rip easily and full DVD res.

Looks like the codec is saturated, get the res back up and use AC3.

Or check out the avs2xvid.bat thread at SBiG. I've been doing all my rips with that lately, and it seems to produce much better results than GK. Need to have a decent knowledge of AVS scripts though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Thanks for the replies.

ViSCeRaL what do you mean by the codec is saturated?

Strange thing is that in guides I can only find that the percentage should not be low than ... but nothing when the percentage is too high. If I increase the resolution back up to 720x544 the compressibility test results in 93% and the bits/pixel go down to 0.113. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:25 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
elchupacabra wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

ViSCeRaL what do you mean by the codec is saturated?

Strange thing is that in guides I can only find that the percentage should not be low than ... but nothing when the percentage is too high. If I increase the resolution back up to 720x544 the compressibility test results in 93% and the bits/pixel go down to 0.113. Hmmm...

When the codec is saturated, there's basically no, or very little compression for it to do which can lead to some weird results.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GK figures, run a test encode of a 10 minute sample and then run it through DRF Analyzer to see what the measure of 'quality' is like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:45 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Thanks again. I managed to get a compressibility of 95%. Maybe this isn't true either but the quality is ok.

What exactly is SBiG? It isn't the Santa Barbara Instrumental Group, right? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:05 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Quote:
What exactly is SBiG? It isn't the Santa Barbara Instrumental Group, right? :lol:

http://bad-good.org/phpBB2/index.php So Bad It's Good. ;)