Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 am  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Some ideas from me.

Start your script with this:

Code:
# Set multithreading parameter
MT_thread_count = 6  # suggested value is 1,5xCPU count
SetMTMode(2, MT_thread_count)

Instead of

Code:
Mpeg2Source("C:\Rip\VTS_01_1.d2v")

use this

Code:
MTSource("""Mpeg2Source("C:\Rip\VTS_01_1.d2v")""", MT_thread_count)

If you have a filter that is written by someone who is probably a novice programmer and hence the filter is crashing using MT, simply disable MT by setting mode to 6 before the filter is called and then set it back to mode 2. Most filters work with mode 2. That's why you should set mode to 2 at the beginning of your script.

Disabling MT for a filter by setting mode to 6 and then enabling MT again:

Code:
SetMTMode(6, MT_thread_count)
deblock_qed(quant1=30,quant2=60)  # some example deblocking filter that may crash
SetMTMode(2, MT_thread_count)

Some interesting things about MT for beginners: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/MT_suppor ... Mode.28.29
If you don't wrap a filter with MT("....") then the filter will be multithreaded using the options set by SetMTMode - frame #1 by cpu 1, frame #2 by cpu 2, frame #3 by cpu 3 and so on. The ideal thing is to wrap all filters using MT("..."), because it is faster. Unfortunately there are filters (resizing for example) that can't be used with it and there are filters that could be used, but are crashing due to poor programming style of the filter. Oh and there are filters that are even crashing with SetMTMode, so you need to disable multithreading (mode=6) before calling them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
I got it working, after a full reinstall of AviSynth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Ok i just read through the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread.....whats handbrake like for ripping ?? :voodoo:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:05 am  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Devil, Probably
I think handbrake is for encoding only, like VirtualDub or AviDemux.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:52 am  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
I think handbrake will rip dvd's but I was joking really, it was just trying to read through the tutorial but it gave me a headache lol, now i gotta go find some Vodka :drunk:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Eldin wrote:
Ok i just read through the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread.....whats handbrake like for ripping ?? :voodoo:
When you start out with GK, you only need to read the first post, not the first 5 or 6 pages, LOL. Just try out and follow the guidelines in the first post. You get better by trying and experimenting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Slayer wrote:
When you start out with GK, you only need to read the first post, not the first 5 or 6 pages, LOL. Just try out and follow the guidelines in the first post. You get better by trying and experimenting.

I'm not sure I do, I have an attention span of about 15 seconds then i start smashing things up :matrix:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
OK, do them 1 step at a time then, and take a short break after each step ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:17 am  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Slayer wrote:
OK, do them 1 step at a time then, and take a short break after each step ;)

lol, ok well I have 26 new dvd's heading my way from amazon so I will give it another try after the new years eve session that is inching ever closer, OMG I am going to be so :drunk:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Right ok, I'm going to try this now after AutoGK badly cropped 4 out of 5 of the last dvd's I ripped :evil: so I have some questions before I start.

1. Now the GN codec pack is.....well kind of ancient so can I assume that I can just install the latest versions of the codecs ??

2. If the answer to question 1 is yes do I need to install Divx alpha, Divx 5 pro trial etc if I am just going to be using Xvid ?

3. If the answer to question 2 is no which of the codecs from the codec pack will I actually need to find and install in order to be able to rip and encode a dvd ?

4. This is related to one movie in particular, I just tried to rip 'Guinea pigs greatest cuts' with AutoGK and it was badly cropped all over the place (badly cropped bits kept moving position due to it being a collection of parts from different movies, so will I be able to fix this using GN to rip and encode ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
1. Yes
2. Just XviD
3. If you download GK now and it doesn't come with Avisynth 2.5.8, you'll have to grab that separately. Furthermore I recommend downloading this: http://sbigare.us/viewtopic.php?p=171824#p171824 it is elguaxo's plugins folder, very useful later on.
4. Yes, you can do zoned cropping. Actually, trying out GK with a Guinea Pig film is a bit hard on yourself, because the GP series are notorius for being bad sources. When I ripped GP 3, I needed something like 50 zones, and that is a few hours work to make it work well. I strongly advise you to try and rip something else first, something of which the source is not that crappy. After you get the hang of it, go back and rip this GP stuff. It is not like we're all gonna die if it isn't ripped by tomorrow, you know ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Slayer wrote:
It is not like we're all gonna die if it isn't ripped by tomorrow, you know ;)

phew, thank goodness for that :lol: Ok I'll have a go later with one of my new James Bond dvds :watchingyou:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Good choice. As you can read yourself, it took me quite a while to get the hang of GK (I ripped my first movie like 5 times over or something), and when I started ripping the Guinea Pig series, I still had a hard time doing that. So be patient and in the end you will get the reward.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Ok, something went wrong, picture and aspect ratio look ok I think but the audio is out of sync, just used ac3 rather than converting to mp3.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:22 am  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Ok, I've just ripped it again, this time in IFO mode instead of file mode as it says in the tutorial and it came out perfect :drunk: cheers guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
If you have made a good rip and only the audio is out of sync, there are other ways where you don't need to rerip the whole thing. If you encounter this problem again, post here.

Screen looks good. Keep on experimenting a bit, with different DVDs, release something so many people can say what they think of it and when that is all OK, go for the GP rip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Slayer wrote:
If you have made a good rip and only the audio is out of sync, there are other ways where you don't need to rerip the whole thing. If you encounter this problem again, post here.

Screen looks good. Keep on experimenting a bit, with different DVDs, release something so many people can say what they think of it and when that is all OK, go for the GP rip.

Ok cheers, I had to rip it again (3rd time) because I forgot to change the resolution from the default :roll: however all is now fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Hi, just trying to do a compressibility check and got an error message 'failed to get data for 'use-bvop'', any ideas ? just done another fresh install of my OS so am wondering if I've forgotten to install something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Read here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80158

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Beginners Guide To Ripping With Gordian Knot

Blood Sucking Freak
Yea cheers Slayer, after i posted the question i googled it, just had to click on load default in xvid settings then it was ok :beerchug: