Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:49 pm  Post subject: another format question

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
I gonna rip a Dvd that says it has 2:35:1 format...actually i think it is a 4:3 source...I want a decent 16:9 rip

so here is some screenshots of the source:

:roll: this screenshot is taken when i played one of the vob files in the vlc player...here you can see that the source actually looks like a 4.3 fomat.....

:roll: this is a snapshot made in the vlc player now it doesnt look like a 4.3 format anymore

:roll: and this is a caption made in my dvd player...this format looks almost "pressed" together to me ...like its pressed from top and bottom and the picture is squized to the sides

how can i get a decent 16.9 rip of this ? it doesnt matter if there is some black stripes on top and bottom but not as much as the screenshots shows.....can somebody that uses AotoGK explain what i should do ? ..Should i fix the width ?

Is it just me or do they cut to much of the picture on top and buttom to get this so called widescreen...cant remember going to the Cinema with the picture as wide as this..when I watch the movie I get the impression that the top and bottom of the picture is cutted to much

as you all probably understand I'm no rip expert :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:54 pm  Post subject:

looks like I getting results by fixing the width in AutoGK ...right now i'm trying 560 pixels width (the orginal width is 720)...just to see what the aspect ratio is gonna be...
I report soon...

I must admit I would rather like to keep 720 pixel resolution width but at the same time fixed the aspect ratio to 1.85 (16.9) ...but i guess that out of my league

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:16 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I use full GK, not the auto version, so I'm not exactly sure what the options are.

You need to select 4:3 non-anamorphic (the source looks non-anamorphic - a 2.35 image in a 4:3 frame) then crop the black bars. As long as you rip just the image and not any borders you'll be okay.

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:26 pm  Post subject:

MCMLXXXVIII wrote:
I use full GK, not the auto version, so I'm not exactly sure what the options are.

You need to select 4:3 non-anamorphic (the source looks non-anamorphic - a 2.35 image in a 4:3 frame) then crop the black bars. As long as you rip just the image and not any borders you'll be okay.

the problem with AutoGK is that there is nearly no options at all...but I think your right about the 4:3 non-anamorphic thing...looks like AutoGK understands that but I'm not sure...
..but even in the full GK i guess that i had to lower the resolution width...cause if I gonna not use the whole picture (change the aspect ratio) I must lower the resolution...cause 720 pixels is the whole width but i'm not want to use the whole width so the resolution must go down...I'm I thinking right ? ...so the resolution isnt lower i'm just using less of the picture..I'm not using all the 720 pixels cause i have taken away part of the picture (some of the pixels)

Last edited by slasherman on Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:36 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
What filesize are you going for? If you want 2 CD or 1/3 of a DVD then you could keep the res as it is more or less. If you want a 700MB rip then you'll need to lower it for sure, but for a 2.35 image you'd be best advised to keep it over 512.

I can't really help you much more as I don't know how AutoGK handles the res options. Maybe you could let it do its thing and see what you get - ripping is often about trial and error and seeing what works best.

To be honest, full GK is much better and gives you the flexibility to get your rips exactly how you want them. I know it's more work at first but there are some good guides around and you can always ask here for help. :wink:

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:44 pm  Post subject:

Have you a link to the Full GK cant find it...

the movie is 1 hour and 38 minute...so I'm going for a 900 MB file...and I'm going to change to full GK soon but I was recomended AutoGK some time ago :(

Last edited by slasherman on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:52 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Its not 4:3, its non-anamorphic as mcm said :) Matting is there to maintain AR, not to be a part of it, so to speak.

I'd also say 900mb is a bad choice of filesize. Go for 744mb, for a 2.35:1 movie thats 90mins is probably right (with mp3 audio). 900mb seems like an random size, what made you choose such a size? Seems very odd.

744mb is 1/6th DVDr, 1493mb is 1/3rd DVDr. 900mb is ??? :) You'll notice rips are predominantly 700mb, 1.37GB for old style cd sizes, and 1/6, 1/3rd dvdrs. Your 900mb rips will be an annoyance since they won't fit onto DVDr very well.

I have to say i don't use autogknot and wouldn't advise anything other than gknot myself :)

btw. if your new to ripping i put some general tips here:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=7124

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:00 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
That's an odd filesize, rippers usually go for sizes that fit on CDs (700 MB) or DVDs (744 MB, 1490 MB, 2236 MB).

If you're ripping the soundtrack in MP3 then I'd go for 744 MB for that length of movie personally, or perhaps 1.4GB if you want an AC3 soundtrack.

It's up to you in the end though, my downloads get archived onto a HD, so the size doesn't matter too much to me.

I always rip to standard sizes myself, however, as many people prefer this, and my rips are for others after all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:04 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
mcm, do you tend to use AC3 even for older, poorer masters? I tend to use mp3 in those circumstances. Sure, bandwidth and all that these days are higher but it just seems too much for me sometimes.

I use hdd based storage, but i still frown on missized rips... if i find them blind via emule or without verifying I never download them unless i have no choice. If its a 700mb or 744mb vs a 716mb or 812mb rip, i'd for the former two rather than the latter two. It comes down to the fact that they usually indicate a lack of quality control on the ripping process so they are likely to have problems like bad cropping, ar issues, etc. When they are targetted to a filesize, at least you can be assured there was some quality control going into the rip and its not the product of a 1click ripper, or a 1pass or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:30 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
mcm, do you tend to use AC3 even for older, poorer masters? I tend to use mp3 in those circumstances.

Oh no, I only use AC3 when a movie has a good 5.1 soundtrack.

I don't know what DVD slasherman is ripping, so I just suggested the possibility of him using a larger filesize if he was going for AC3.

So, slasherman, what DVD are you ripping? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:36 pm  Post subject:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Its not 4:3, its non-anamorphic as mcm said :) Matting is there to maintain AR, not to be a part of it, so to speak.

the matting is overdone in this format..cutting away too much of the picture.....and I ment 896 MB 1/5 DVD

Not 4.3 ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:36 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I just looked at the print and figured... non-anamorphic, not exactly pristine... mp3! :lol:

Quote:
and I ment 896 MB 1/5 DVD

eek, please don't unless this is part one of five... and if it is, please don't anyway :lol: Reason is your rip isn't going to fit on a disc with anyone elses rip so its hogging / wasting a lot of space on a disc. Best to stick to predefined sizes, either TDX cd based, or 1/6th, 1/3rd, or maybe 1/4 for four movie sequences. I think your pushing it for 1/5th and your going to put people off downloading with such a choice. Its up to you in the end i just think its going to hit the number of downloads your going to get :(

As for your image, it's a computer program ;).
It doesn't know what matting is, it only reads a framesize and doesn't realise it has to crop unless its told to do so. The REAL content is not 4:3, its because its non-anamorphic.

I have never used that app, but it sounds like it doesn't test for black matting and autocrop, like Gknot can.

If you loaded into GKnot, you would choose 4:3 non-anamorphic, which sets your rip AR to 16:9. You then crop and you get it to maintain the AR as 16:9 compatible, here 2.35:1. If you set the AR to 4:3 in gknot, then hit autocrop, it would stretch the real content (ie. minus the matting) to 4:3 and it would look messed up.

I think your showing a lot of trust in a computer program to do it all for you, your eyes are a lot better tool :) Your eyes should be telling you that black matting is pointless with MPEG4, you don't need it... resolution and therefore AR setting is stored in the container headers.

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:45 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I didn't know AutoGK supported 1/5 of a DVD. To be honest not many people use it, only really if they are ripping 5 movies of a series to fit onto one DVDR.

AutoGK shows it as 4:3 because it can't distinguish between the image and the black bars. If you crop them you'll end up with just the 2.35 image.

The black bars aren't covering anything up in this instance, they're just there to fill up the rest of the 4:3 frame. Matting doesn't really apply to 2.35 ratio movies unless they are filmed in Super35.

Confused yet? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:46 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Hey Spud, stop posting the same information as me while I'm writing my reply! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:59 pm  Post subject:

anybody got a link to the full GK...cant find it

Last edited by slasherman on Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:02 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
http://gknot.doom9.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:34 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Try using my GK guide Slasherman...

http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=15117

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:41 pm  Post subject:

spudthedestroyer wrote:
http://gknot.doom9.org

thanks...

BadBugs wrote:
Try using my GK guide Slasherman...

http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=15117

and thanks...

can anybody tell me if this looks right ? I'm going blind of all the trying...

Aspect Ratio .......: 2.31:1 ...i dont like it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:47 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Looks pretty good, AR seems correct. It's normal for it to be not exact. You could try again with a different res if you want it closer to 2.35.

Although it seems like you need to crop just one pixel or so from the bottom of the image.

Since it's 704x304 presumably you went for 1/3 of a DVD?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:53 pm  Post subject:

MCMLXXXVIII wrote:

Since it's 704x304 presumably you went for 1/3 of a DVD?

I have not decided yet....this is just pictures from the comptest...do you think I should do that ?