Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:45 am  Post subject: Bogus file names in emule

Demon Of The Abyss
Last week I tried downloading a recon of the Doctor Who episode The Feast of Steven and tried to preview it having got about a quarter of it, and it would not preview. I then checked the alternative filenames - one of the Harry Potter movies, I forget which, some dodgy looking pr0n and games as iso and rar files :matrix:

It made me wonder who does this sort of thing and why? I always thought it was anti-piracy groups but tracing the copyright holder of this recon would be difficult, is it the BBC? Loose Cannon productions? John Cura (telesnaps) so that's a very odd thing to rename it.

It certainly wasn't Dr Who, or for that matter Harry Potter or pr0n as they would have previewed. It could be the game, it could be malware but who would rename a 500MB file to exe and try running it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:59 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Why? The same reason some people are forum trolls: They are assholes, which love to annoy other people when they can do it anonymously.

I once wondered if there was a way to identify and kill them, if this would not improve society as a whole. Lower crimes, less nor no spam. Probably all caused by the same genetic aberration.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:59 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
fake seeders do operate on most p2p networks, its easy for them on emule. I get all of my links from forums, there's too many shit rips around and its the easiest way to verify (please, if you find things by search and verify, post them!)

A popular thing to do is rename pr0n, either to cover up the fact they've downloaded pr0n or to be arseholes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:11 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
This episode isn't in the Dr Who collection at scifi.dead-donkey. There are a number of rips but I won't be downloading it now because the Daleks Masterplan has been posted in its entirity at ab.drwho.