Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:35 am  Post subject: Bypassing a registered BitTorrent tracker

Demon Of The Abyss
This used to be possible with judicious use of a firewall but I don't think it is anymore. Does anyone know an up-to-date way of doing it? I reckon someone with sufficient knowledge of the BT protocol should be able to patch the .torrent file, maybe stealing the IP of a seed in the swarm.

You must be thinking I'm a real bastard now so I'll tell you why.....

Yesterday I signed up to a registered tracker only to see my speeds drop to virtually nothing after a few hours, and being unable to connect to seeds. It wasn't a ratio thing as I had only tried to download one file. I tried logging in and was told my account was disabled. I went on their IRC and asked a mod what was going on, she said I was banned because I had setup 2 accounts in the past and used them for leeching, I questioned this and she said my IP had done this, I said it wasn't my IP, it was a proxy.

She then said they don't allow proxies, I asked if I can re-register with my real IP and she told me no (she has this now due to me not using a proxy on IRC). Some of the muppets on IRC started laying into me and then the mod/witch booted me from IRC.

My "crime" therefore was using a proxy to register. With the exception of TPB and T3 it seems BT is run by the most paranoid people on earth, setting unworkable ratios (do they know what the A in ADSL stands for) and now even banning proxies. CrazyMazey didn't even ban people for using proxies and those of us who were around at the time know how unstable he was.

I use proxies all over the place, I think it is particularly worthwhile on BT sites because I reckon it's only a matter of time before the ??AA use details from the trackers to sue. Running whois would have soon shown I was telling the truth, the site was dedicated to UK TV and I doubt there is significant interest in that in Chile, besides which she had seen my real IP in IRC.

If anyone can circumvent the tracker then drop me a pm, particularly if you also know a good BT leecher client, not a ratio cheat but a zero-upload client. I would never use such a thing on emule nor indeed with decent people, but here we must be dealing with people from this clique who I have no qualms about ripping off.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:11 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Thanks EthrielTD, I'll let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:34 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
this thread might be of interest to you

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=17442

paticularly the comments concerning Bitcomet and DHT.

Although you will need to be able to download the torrent from thier site first, it just seems according to the people in that thread that Bitcomet doesnt give a ratsass about the "private" flags in the torrent and enables DHT & PeerExchange anyways.

The site may have banned Bitcomet because of it "leaking data to DHT" but further down the thread it mentions this as well and might give some clues to what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:43 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Strange goings on here, I posted my comment after EthrielTD but it appeared before. :?

It didn't work I'm afraid. I checked "Enable DHT network" in BitComet but the "Find Peer Using Public DHT Network" was still greyed out so it looks like it was setup as a private torrent.

As for the paranoia thing, I think Spud has banned 2? people in my time here (the half being one who left before he was pushed) while torrent sites ban left right and centre.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:37 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
indeed there are, had wierdness all day on this end with several "too soon to search again" or "too soon to post again" issues

..the private flags are stored in the torrent info...

....so a bit of hex editing would be able to sort that out...but thats not my dept..

...the only hex is know about is the one that witches use...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:56 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Cheers mate. I'm sure it's feasible to doctor the .torrent but I'd need a good understanding of the protocol to do that, which is something I don't have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
George Tatum wrote:
Cheers mate. I'm sure it's feasible to doctor the .torrent but I'd need a good understanding of the protocol to do that, which is something I don't have.

http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:58 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Thanks. I'll see what I can work out from that. I'll let you know if I get it sorted.

And thanks guys for restoring my faith in humanity after dealing with the dregs of society yesterday :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:04 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Well thanks again guys for your help but it's come to nothing, this is a totally paranoid tracker where they all seem to disable DHT.

This is a nice app for making a private .torrent public so if you see a private torrent posted on a public site as these were then give it a go. The app worked a treat but neither BitComet 0.60 (the one with the DHT "feature" nor uTorrent could connect to any peers using DHT.

I can only hope they end up on a decent tracker, emule or Usenet, or some really clever dude manages to work out how to spoof the IP of a seed or peer in the swarm. Don't have any qualms about doing so if anyone knows how to do it, these people are not filesharers, they are file *traders* and therefore the antithesis of HHAH. :matrix:

Alternatively I could hope Bram Cohen forces DHT, as he is known to be opposed to private trackers.

A CrazyMazey's admin once told me that they were private because it is safer from the MPAA, but we all know what happened to that site. The same person gave up on BT altogether saying it can no longer be considered a safe protocol.