Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:51 am  Post subject: Newbie with a couple questions
Request Territory

Request Territory
Hi all. I've checked this site from time to time but never bothered to learn the edonkey system. Well I've decided to take the plunge. I'm well familiar with torrents and frequent T3 and THC daily, but there are a few things I don't understand here.

Firts off before anyone asks I'm using the latest version of EMule and the latest server list. I also have configured my router and have a high ID.

What I don't undersatnd is:

1: How can you tell if a file is still active? It's not like it says how many seeders and leechers are available. All I that I see on the site is the number of hits, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

2: Does edonkey go by ratio? Is there a section that shows hurting files that need "seeding" to help improve one's ratio? Can you get banned?

3: Right now I am trying to get 2 files and the status says Waiting. If I click the Known Clients tab where it says Download Status, most of them say On Queue, Queue Full, or Asking. What does this mean?

4: What sort of speeds and I expect to see? So far I've only seen about 9kbs but it comes and goes. Is this because I am new?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by harryrusso on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:35 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
1. If you see red in the progress bar of the file in question in 'Transfers', then no complete source can be found (at the moment). Otherwise, if you see any shade of blue there is at least 1 source. The darker the blue, the more sources there are.

2. No ratios, but most people are using the credit system (ON by default). The more you share, the more credits you earn with other people. Credits will help you download faster.

3 & 4. Only 2 files? Fill up your transfer page! Some files may take some time depending on how many sources they have and how much credit you've built up. You'll get high speeds if you have many downloads with many sources.

To truly take the plunge into emule, be prepared to leave your client running 24/7.

Just have a little patience. But if you want to see fast results, try downloading a few new mainstream releases.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention: Check out the guides on how to optimize the emule client. It can make a big difference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:15 am  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
Where can I see how many credits I have?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:35 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
You can't see it, because it is not stored on your computer, but on the computers of the people you are downloading from and uploading to. Otherwise there would already be dozens of cracks out there that manipulate your credits. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:02 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... 668#171668

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:23 am  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
Thanks I believe I get it now.