Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm  Post subject: Ripping NTSC VHS in a PAL country

The Ancient One
I got this VHS from the USA which I would like to rip and share with you.

I've read this guide on DOOM9 (http://www.doom9.org./index.html?/capture/start.html) which is pretty useful.

I would like to capture the movie with my capture card which supports PAL, NTSC and SECAM. Unfortunately when I switch to NTSC and play the VHS the image is gray scaled. There is no color and I just can't find the reason.

Can anybody help me with this?

I'm trying to capture with Virtual VCR by the way. Still not sure what color spectrum/compression (YUY2, RGB24, RGB555, ...) I should choose.

When I select PAL as video standard the image contains color but the image looks awful and is useless. Any idea?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:32 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Thanks to DOOM9 i figured it out. Just in case anybody has the same problem, this is what I did:

1.) Download and install the "BtWinCap driver". Hopefully your card is supported. Click here to check out while you are praying:

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/supportedcards.html

If your card is not supported, ehrm... buy a supported one. :(

2.) Now you'll have another capture device listed under your hardware list in Windows, which was created by the setup of the driver. Use that one instead of your capture card. Using that new caption device you should have an entry called "PAL_60" in the TV standard selection drop down lists in your capture applications. Use this one and NOT the NTSC_M or other NTSC variants.

Also make sure you use RGB32 as color spectrum and 640x480 as resolution. :wink:

3.) You could start capturing now but you'll notice that there are a lot of dropped frames, because of some messed up lines probably at the bottom of your video. You need to install the "BT8x8 Tweaker". Read here to find out how:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/captur ... eaker.html

Oh and yes, this implies that you must use VirtualDub as your capturing application, which implies that you need a VfW driver for your capturing card. :? You could try the Microsoft General VfW Capturing Driver and than choose the new capturing device mentioned in point 2 as source. This worked for me.

4.) Use the link provided in point 3 to tweak your driver in order to remove the unwanted lines. If you are ready, you can test capturing using VirtualDub. If the dropped frames counter remains 0 (well there might be some dropped frames) you are done.

I hope this makes your NTSC VHS capturing using your PAL VCR less more pain in the ass. :beerchug:

Last edited by elchupacabra on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:07 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
I had this same problem a while back when i was ripping 'Scream Greats - Tom Savini'. I
had it on an NTSC VHS tape, with a PAL VCR (but it could play NTSC tapes) and an 'All In
Wonder 128' capture card which could capture from a range of versions of PAL/NTSC/SECAM.

It took me a while to find out that a PAL VCR that can play an NTSC tape isn't outputting a
pure NTSC signal, its a PAL-NTSC hybrid called PAL60 which my capture card wouldn't
recognize as either a PAL or NTSC signal.

In the end I mailed the tape to a friend who worked in post-production who copied it to a
PAL tape which I could capture. Well done on posting the work-around though!

MR WHO!?
GAS MAN, GAS MAN, GAS MAN!