Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:51 pm  Post subject: 720i/ HD help

Dead But Dreaming
Hey Guys and Gals of horror world. I am getting a 720i HD tv next mth for my birthday. I have a sexbox 360 :mrgreen: and now that HD dvd is crashing and burning I got some questions.

I regular dvd on a 720i tv will play at 480i correct? This is because all original dvds were 480 (as to my knowing). But I could get the hd player hook up for the 360 and watch my movies in HD 720 or 1080 once I upgrade my tv.

Also, now that Hd is going out of style that means the supply will be high and the demand will be low so prices will go down correct?

So if I get the Hd hook up and some cheep as hell HD movies I could be in the world of 720 instead of 480 right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
720i tv? You mean a 720p tv surely?
A 720i tv would be ~360p, most modern SD tvs are 480p capable.

480p = ~SD / basic HD profile - most modernish pre-HDTV tvs were capable of this, all the SD tvs i have from the past 15 years were capable of this.
720p = 720p/1080i
1080p = 1080p

If it has a sticker saying HDready its 720p, not 720i.

Anyway, since i think you've got a bit confused on that bit i'll try answer your questions:

1) Regular DVDs will play at the output of your player, if you don't have an upscaling player which puts it to 720p, it will be playing at 480i or 480p if it is a progressive dvd player with an anamorphic dvd
2) DVDs don't have to be 480i/p, but that's the standard for retail.
3) only if its an upsampling dvd player will it output at 720p or 1080i. You will not be able to play 1080p material without a tv capable of playing that.
4) if you play a HD-DVD or bluray on a 720p tv, you will get a downsampled 720p or 1080i display. They will not play at their native 1080p because it is beyond the capability of your hardware.

Hope that's clear, i think you mean 720p and not 720i and dvds are a maximum of 480p when they are "anamorphic" and you have a progressive dvd player.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:18 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Thanks for clearing this up for me. It sounds like it will be worth while to get the HD player. Xbox announced that its going down to 49.99$ :beerchug:

Im sure that in the next mth places like Best Buy, Circuit City etc... will have to get rid of all there HD movies so the prices will greatly drop. amazon already started a 30% off sale.