Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:48 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
They tend to overheat and when they overheat (related to the number of open connections), they tend to lockup and need a reboot.

That's exactly what I read somewhere on the internet too. So I limited the number of connections within eMule. This seemed to had solve the problem, but unfortunately a bit later it started all over again.

I'll try to change the position and alignment of the router.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:55 am  Post subject: Re: WLAN router dies / Hacker alert?

The Ancient One
Here is my highly sophisticated solution :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:58 am  Post subject: Re: WLAN router dies / Hacker alert?

Site Admin
lmao :lol:

Nice one :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:06 pm  Post subject: Re: WLAN router dies / Hacker alert?

The Ancient One
Very pragmatic. A former housemate of mine solved his cooling prob the same way (is what I remeber now looking at your picture).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:20 am  Post subject: Re: WLAN router dies / Hacker alert?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
elchupacabra wrote:
In the last months my WLAN router keeps restarting itself...

Well, i'm not sure if you are experimenting the same problem as I did, but it looks like the same. It's probably not an over-heat problem. My internet connection was crashing too often, like each 10-15 min. and sometimes my router (a Linksys WRT54G) did follow and I had to reset it...

Here's what was my problem (i'll try to explain it as better as I can) :

My problem was the undergroung cable that my ISP was using to give me my internet connection, it was not damage, only that too many peoples in my area was using it, and I had no "remote" in my street to dispatch the internet to many homes, so my connection was crashing everytimes, everydays. My internet connection was crashing automaticaly when I had take the phone to call someone, or just answer the phone, cause the data in the cable had too much a big distance to make from the central to my home so the connection broked. (I have a DSL modem has you should have figure out). Now, I don't remember the term the tech guys used, but my signal in my cables was between 95-100% of use (too much, not normal) when I was connecting to the internet and using the phone at the same time. After reducing the lenght of the cable by 1 km, the signal was between 60-70% of use (the standard). And I had a connection of 1 MBPS, after reducing the cable, I was at 3.5 MBPS (big difference in my case, all this for 1 km of cable).
Before, I was at 4 km of the central, now i'm at 3 km and it's working perfect, never crashed since.

So, to resolve the problem, it took me 8 months of calling tech guys and doing test to figure this out.

They have solve my problem in reducing the cable lenght by 1 km, and I didn't have any other problems with my internet connection.

I don't know if your problem is the same has mine, cause if you're using a Cable Modem and not a DSL Modem, this is not your problem. I hope it informed you about the situation you are. Make the test by calling someone with your phone and check out if you loose your internet connection when you pick the phone... you'll see. And check out on your modem if the DSL light is off or flashing, if so, it mean that you have lost your internet signal, so maybe, I said MAYBE, you have the same problem as I did.

(Sorry for my bad english, i'm french so it's pretty hard to explain something in a different language when you don't even know the right words !!! :googley: )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:57 am  Post subject: Re: WLAN router dies / Hacker alert?

The Ancient One
EvilDeadlyImmortal wrote:
They have solve my problem in reducing the cable lenght by 1 km

Holy shit. That sounds like efficient cabling. :lol:

I don't think I have the same problem. I have a cable connection and no DSL. The problem doesn't have to do anything with my phone either. The problem even appeared as the phone was turned off.

I'm still not 100% sure what the problem was though. I tried to replace my new Buffalo WLAN router with my old D-Link WLAN router and used a ventilator to cool it. But the D-Link router kept restarting every 5 minutes even with cooling. As I touched it, it was pretty cold.

Then I put my new WLAN router back also with the ventilator on and the problem was gone. Summing it up I would say that my old router is f*cked up (maybe because of overheating too often in the past?) and the new one is overheating if it is not cooled externally. But as I said I'm not sure.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. :wink: