Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:12 pm  Post subject: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
I've reached a point now where I've managed to get hold of some mpeg vcd files of some films that I'd like to release.
I don't want to release as mpeg so I was wondering if I could simply merge them & use GK to create a reasonable quality AVI?
Is there some standard filters that you would normally use to clean it up?

Thanks for any help :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

Site Admin
half the resolution == half the filesize
~350mb is appropriate for VCD rips :)

I've done this a few times:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... 44#p115244

As for filters, be very careful, especially if you've got hard subs! You are likely to seriously degrade the readability of those subs.

I just used a little denoising and then jaw0rs 1cd i believe, the damage with vcds has already been done by and large, you'll find them blocky and very hard to work with so just keep your filter set very basic :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
I suggest the V3HR ultra low quality XviD matrix. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Thanks for the input fellas...
I'll try that Spud & I'll rip it twice using both those CQM's & then report back how each turned out so we know for future reference :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:09 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

Demon Of The Abyss
If you have any problems drop me a PM. I did a lot of VCD -> avi when I first joined, although that was about 4 years ago and I've not done it since so probably forgotten a lot by now. The biggest problem I had was with idiots that decide to copy protect their pirate VCD's :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:32 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
George Tatum wrote:
The biggest problem I had was with idiots that decide to copy protect their pirate VCD's :roll:

:lol: :matrix:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
George Tatum wrote:
If you have any problems drop me a PM. I did a lot of VCD -> avi when I first joined, although that was about 4 years ago and I've not done it since so probably forgotten a lot by now. The biggest problem I had was with idiots that decide to copy protect their pirate VCD's :roll:

Thanks george :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Been trying it since I came home & it seems easy enough.
I'm assuming that 29.97fps MPEGs dont need deinterlacing as I cant see any combing.
I'm cropping out all the borders & keeping the width at 352 & using the built in ''little noise'' filter.
The better of the 2 CQMs is the V3ULR as it softens just slightly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:32 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Uggh, I just had 1 that went out of audio sync on the disk switch. Had to strip the audio & remove a big chunk of black video frames at the switch & re-add the audio to sort it. Took 3 attempts but got it right at last :D

The other annoying thing about these HK VCDs is the dual audio but different languages in each channel. The way I got round that was to encode the audio via GK/besweet, then load up in Goldwave, delete right channel & save left channel as a mono mp3 & this worked too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
extract the .dat from the vcd, then run the .dat in vcdgear, join the 2 mpg in tmpgenc merge tool, then run the mpg in dgindex then encode .d2v in gknot or ever ya want to encode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:11 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Thats virtually exactly what I did VM, the only thing I did different was to load in both mpegs (like I would do with vobs) into DG Index :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:14 am  Post subject: Re: Ripping VCD With Gordian Knot

The Ancient One
Out of curiosity...
I've always used VCDGear to convert .Dat -> MPEG, but you read on a lot of forums peeps saying rename the .DAT to .MPEG instead. This works, but is there a reason why VCD Gear is a better way of doing it ?