Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:13 pm  Post subject: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
I've burned hundreds of DVDs over the years but today I encountered a wierd one.
I burned a group of films like normal as data with nero & 4/5 of the films played back fine yet the 5th didnt.
I thought, OK bad burn, try another disk in the other writer... same thing happened again.
This was a new spindle so tried a different brand of disk, reordering the burn so this film was in the middle of the disk rather than on the edge & in both writers I had the same problem.
The film plays fine on the PC before burning, it copies back from the disk via either writer & plays fine again, so what the hell is going on?
I've wasted 4 disks now so I've run the poxy film through vdub in the hope it wil burn right the next time.

Any ideas? :voodoo:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
I read your post twice and I'm not sure if i still understand it :lol:

So its just one film your saying? This one rip will not play from a disc irrespective of where it sits on the disc, whilst the others work fine? How are you playing it back, in the same reader/writer just off the disc? Can you pop it into your xbox (I hope you have one else you will get another lecture :lol: ) and does it play from there?

Might be bad interleaving or similar... can you load it into nandub from the disc? If you can load it into nandub, and play it from a disc it sounds like the file has some technique that your playback software/filters just doesn't like and its failing to cache/preload it. Its usually bad interleaving that does this on weaker hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
You got it exactly...

I've tried all 4 disks in both writers, no luck. Tried it in the standalone (xbox still isnt modded) same problem.
When I try to playback in the writers, you can hear it struggling to read the disk on that very film but yet all the others play fine & yes its doesnt matter where the film is put on the disk it just wants to be a bitch. :matrix: :lol:

I've burned a few disks since then so I know the disks are fine, the writers are fine, its just that one dodgy film & I've never had a problem like this before. :shadey:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
What film is it? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
ed2k: The.Invasion.2007.REPACK.DVDRip.XviD-YM.avi  [1.45 Gb] [Stats]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:26 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
hmmm, i'm not sure i have that one... i have a dvdr copy of that film.

When you pass it through Nandub, you are resetting the interleave right? Video>direct stream copy, audio>direct stream copy, i think its audio>interleaving, and then set it to 64 or 96 ms.

if you can copy too and from the disc, then there's no burn error.

@standalone, the machine is really shit, interleaving would wipe it out. That test is rather invalid, reason i asked was if you had an xbox you can disable the audio and it would probably play it but would be choppy if the interleaving was bad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:41 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
I'll try that tomorrow night Spud & report back.
I just think it is very strange that the writer is struggling to read it, yet it plays before burn & after copying back to drive but it simply wont play from the disk.
Not tried nandub yet....... to be continued :googley:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
i think it will be caching and read speed from disc (+ the fact its badly interleaved which hits cpu heavily) rather than the file, speed from the hdd is much, much faster so won't appear as an issue.

btw, hdd for t3h w1n! Ever considered ditching dvdr as a viable storage medium? I would strongly recommend this. Surely your time is more valuable than faffing with all this crap? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:48 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
I understand what youre saying, disks are unreliable, hdds last for thousands of hours so filled & stored they last for years..
problem is cashflow, plus...
other than plug the drive back into the pc, how the hell do I watch them on the telly? these new fancy nvidia cards with their HDTV out dont work on a normal telly so it would only mean burning to a disk anyway, right? :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:53 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
erm, network cards have existed for many decades now :)
Cat5, cat6e and if you don't want wiring HomePlug solve the problem easily. Or wireless i suppose.

As you'll know, any standalone worth its salt will have a ethernet card onboard (/me rubs his ugly xbox baby against his nipples :) )

Beyond actual DVDs, I do not use discs in my xbox, its all done via network shares.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:05 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
:lol: Cut the technobabble :lol:

Remember I dont work in IT, I simply do things with metal :wink:

So what youre saying is that I can wire up a network card to both my telly & a HDD?

None of my 3 standalones even have a USB socket on them, although the newest one which is also a writer has s-video & the red/white/yellow sockets on it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:39 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
You have an xbox, it has a network socket in it. There's your playback device (stop being a lazy bitch :lol: )!

Its not a very technical solution at all, its rather simple, very elegant and will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. You can utilise your pc for the large part.

You can put a hdd on a network using either "software" or hardware.
  • In terms of software, mount the drive (SATA is hot swap btw) and right click>share... its now on the network.
  • On the hardware route, its called a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or a SAN (Storage Area Network). I use both methods (sharing folders/drives on my desktops and having dedicated hardware), I share my incoming directories and the hotswap bays i have on my three pcs, i also have one nas (cheap one from svp) and if i had cash i'd buy another. You can buy a NAS, ranging from a single drive mounter with an ethernet port to a full RAID 5 NAS with 5 drive bays at any computer store (unless you invent a time machine and go back in time).

As for your standalones lacking 'basic' features, well you know what I think and I'm going to say; you got fuck*d... I dunno why people put up with dumping so much cash on something so painfully inferior :lol: I can't really say anything else on that front, I plum wouldn't have bought them. However, plenty of what i usually call "shitty standalones" ( :) ) have ethernet cards in them (they cost pittance to make that's why, "shitty standalones" are terrible bits of hardware) like the KISS players, but I wouldn't buy any of them because, once again, they are a waste of money.
All HTPCs (media pcs) have ethernet cards in them, since every motherboard has them. You have an xbox and therefore have the best valued and most feature rich playback device for the past 5 years. That is not an overstatement in any form, might be worse getting that up and running.

Its worth consideration for a lot of reasons. The main hurdle is you've already invested yourself in the less efficient 'disc' route, so it will cost a tiny bit of cash to re-adjust. If you are interested, consider:

For a hdd solution you'll need:
  • A PC or NAS that can be left on the network (or boot up each time if you are that way inclined), you already have a PC that is likely on all the time (your emule machine for example), you just need to mount some drives... you can get hot swap bays (I have these, cheaper and faster), you can use eSATA which is just plugging an internal sata to external (external full speed sata) or you can use slower firewire/usb drives (i do not like this method). If you choose the NAS route you can a) use an old pc and install a nas linux distro (i've done this, although just used normal linux) b) buy a nas (I have one of these, a cheap one with a cheap RAID1 in it)
  • A network, you'll already have something, it probably just need bulking up. I've run cat6e everywhere myself since i wanted gigabit :lol:
  • A decent playback solution, xbmc works out of the box as usual (any surprise there? ;) )

What you get is:
  • VAST amounts of time saved, I can't stress this enough, it is huge amount of time.
  • Total control over the solution; no more squeeshing for space, no burning, no burn errors
  • Move/delete/replace files, its not a write once solution and the risk of corruption or decay is not as high as firing light at a spinning disc :)
  • Fast speed; standing storage, huge storage space and faster read speeds :)

Since you've gone a long way down the dvdr backup route you sound like you need to invest a bit; however once again the xbmc does ALL of playback stuff out of the box, so its just sharing some network folders.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:43 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
just in case you are intrested in hdd as a storage solution, i'm obviously greatly in favour and do not believe DVD-r to be a 'worthwhile' solution for my needs anymore.

I mention benefits, and some hardware here (read on from this post)
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... 84#p132984
My post is surprisingly coherant (ish :lol: ) for me, and summarises the pro-hdd solution. Its two years old, but all still true :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:51 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
I'll read what you wrote above & the thread you linked too properly tomorrow after work.
Thanks for the advice spud :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:52 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

Site Admin
Short: setup your xbox or i will find you... :voodoo:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:54 am  Post subject: Re: Bizarre Burning Problem

The Ancient One
I need my memory card fixing with those splinter cell files then I'm away... i think :mrgreen: