Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:03 pm  Post subject: New to aMule .. bit confused
Request Territory

Request Territory
I have always used torrents, dc++, other p2p and newsgroups in the past. I've never used ?mule before. I kill children for fun so obviously I need lots of horror movies. I also have some rare disturbing movies I would like to share.

I'm on linux only; I use mostly open source software. So I have this program aMule which is basically an open source eMule as I am guessing.

I saw a little 2 step walkthrough for eMule on how to basically have it run the ED2K files. Neither of those settings are available on aMule or I don't know where to look.

I was able to sort of paste a link into it and it moved into the transfers section but never actually started downloading. On the bottom right it says not connected. I am a bit lost with this protocol. Is there some server I need to connect to first or what is going on?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:37 pm  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

Site Admin
It is peer2peer, traditionally you needed a server but there is a serverless model known as KAD.

In the server model, the server is used to track sources, you go to the server and it sends you the details of the peers sharing it. With KAD you bootstrap to a set of ips, and then publish the peers both to immediate peers and those peers then pass on share lists.

You will need to open up a list of ports to achieve connectivity:
http://www.dead-donkey.com/modules/faq/ ... n=emule#14

You also need to share; emule clients use credits, the more you upload to a peer the higher a queue boost ranking you get. when you first start out on a network, you need to get yourself uploading... turn emule/amule/mldonkey on and leave it on (after you have checked to make sure you are unfirewalled). It is a very good idea to queue up many files.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:12 pm  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

The Devil, Probably
I recently tried aMule myself. It worked well. The only tricky thing on getting started is that you need to download yourself some files. You will need three files:

- server.met this contains server you can connect to
- ipfilter.dat this contains IP addresses that should be block/banned because the are spreading fake content
- nodes.dat this contains addresses of well known KAD clients

Be sure to check out some tutorials and FAQs on the aMule site: http://www.amule.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Good luck!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:32 am  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused
Request Territory

Request Territory
Thanks for the tips, however I'm having connectivity issues.. Here is my status.

software firewall: none (yes I'm sure)
selinux: none (yes I'm sure)
router:

forwarding:

both udp and tcp on all of them. internet port testing shows they are open.

[root@localhost ~]# lsof | grep "amule.*:"
amule 3022 root 7u IPv4 10574 UDP *:4665
amule 3022 root 9u IPv4 10575 TCP *:oms (LISTEN)
amule 3022 root 10u IPv4 10576 UDP *:rfa
amule 3022 root 11u IPv4 10862 TCP 192.168.1.103:48400->77.247.178.244:4242 (ESTABLISHED)

however, my download is just sitting there with the status of 'Waiting' and on the bottom right of aMule is the globe. the bottom arrow pointing upwards is green and the top arrow pointing downwards is yellow. the message says 'eDonkeyServer No1 (Kad:firewalled)

I have tried changing all ports in the preferences and my router's forwarding to 8xxx from 4xxx but the same issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 am  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

The Devil, Probably
That pretty much says it all. Status "Waiting" means that you are in the queues of others and the mule is waiting until you reach the first place in it.
The download bars should be blue (the bluer the more sources for the file's chunks). Are they blue?

Nevertheless there seems to be some issues with the KAD ports. "Internet port testing" is this the feature of the aMule application?

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 am  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

Site Admin
nathanrich wrote:
download

spudthedestroyer wrote:
It is a very good idea to queue up many files.

Simpsons or pr0n is always the test i do on new machines, both download very fast :)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:47 pm  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

Master Of The Dead Donkey
aMule works, but it's upload is not very stable. You must open a lot of slots or you won't be using all your available upload bandwidth. aMule's KAD is also very unstable, in my case it kept disconnecting all the time. Try wine + emule (or a good emule mod), it's rock solid.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

Site Admin
ah, WINE works with emule okay?
I think that pretty much end of stories that one then :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:53 pm  Post subject: Re: New to aMule .. bit confused

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I've been using it for a year and it works very well.