Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm  Post subject: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Ancient One
Can anyone explain to me which of these two makes files unplayable on standalones? Or does a file "need" to have both?

Can anyone also explain why a ripper would use these two options? Why is the file better when using them?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:51 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Site Admin
Quarter Pixel and Packed Bitstream both require more cpu power to decode. Standalones are traditionally, to use the technical terminology, cheap as all f*ck and have every possible corner cut in their design. CPU is one of those corners they've cut. However, I don't think they should dictate encoding policy, buying one is a f*ck up imo, its asking for buyer's remorse. Its the exact same reason custom matrices do not work on old standalones.

That said, both features are dubious because the benefits aren't really there for the cost.

QPel can increase compressibility, it can also decrease it... a highly detailed description can be found here:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=51731

Packed bitstream can in theory reduces bad sync if you use 1-bframe, iirc... its a pretty defunct feature, you probably shouldn't use it:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/xvid.html

Personally i don't use them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 am  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
My standalone handles packed bitstream fine and is supposed to be able to handle gmc but no qpel...Handles custom matrixes just fine too....it just doesn't like qpel, gmc and mkv and ogm files....other then that it works like a player should.Which model do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:23 am  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Ancient One
Mine is like spud said.

NO: QPEL, GMC (It does notice them but simply shows a message that "xxx is not supported". :voodoo:)
AFTER FIRMWARE HACK: packed bitstream
YES: CQM

Player: Philips DVP-5960

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:21 am  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I've seen all kind of combinations, but QPel is usually a big no for older standalones.

Packet Bitstream depends on the standalone. No Packet Bitstream is a safe choice, but there are some standalones that support only AVIs with Packet Bitstream! :googley: But you can enable or disable it without reencoding using MPEG4 Modifier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 am  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Practice Girl
Quote:

That is what I got for the upstairs..I think I got the upgrade to that downstairs.....Mine came updated to me so I didn't have to hack it.
I remember my old philips player that I had to hack a couple of times...would only play srt subs and you would have to perform a trick by hitting menu on your remote on and off to get certin xvids to play properly. :lol:
I am certain in a couple more years they'll put out something plays pretty much anything but until then the one I got now pretty much covers my needs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:52 am  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Devil, Probably
To give a brief answer to Slayer's question.
QPel and GMC are the features that make your file most likely not playable on a standalone. But you shouldn't be using Packet Bitstream either, because there is also a chance that your standalone will refuse to play the video.

My experience is that using Packet Bitstream for a rip slightly increases the file size. :roll:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:52 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Ancient One
OK, so to summarize: both features don't make rips really better, and QPel kills standalone compatibility. My player refused a few rips and when I checked, they had QPel and some of them had packed bitsytream and others didn't. But I also did play several files with packed bitstream, so I guess my player only refuses QPel. I have a Sony DVP-NS38.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:24 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
OK, so to summarize: both features don't make rips really better, and QPel kills standalone compatibility. My player refused a few rips and when I checked, they had QPel and some of them had packed bitsytream and others didn't. But I also did play several files with packed bitstream, so I guess my player only refuses QPel. I have a Sony DVP-NS38.

That's not quite true, take a gander at what I posted; QPel can increase compressibility, packed bitstream can provide better audio sync. Its just not always beneficial to turn the features on ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Ancient One
OK, then at least in my opnion the files don't get better really ;)

Where increasing compressibility can come in handy, audio synch can be fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:35 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Slayer wrote:
OK, then at least in my opnion the files don't get better really ;)

QPel gives usually a 'sharper' look, try it and you'll see. Older Standalones don't support it, so don't use it if you if you care about them. But if your Standalone doesn't support QPel then it really sucks! Change it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Site Admin
Here you go...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:12 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

The Practice Girl
Yeah......I was waiting for that :lol: It's like holding a bone in front of a hungry dog.....you can't resist can you? :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:15 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Demon Of The Abyss
Little to add to all the above, just confirming that some standalones CAN handle a lot more than others.

I got a odd one myself, it will swallow qpel, but only if it's in Divx. It'll take Xvid but not with qpel. :wacky:
Then I got a LG HDD recorder that will play damm near anything , GMC and mkv excepted.

There was a divx/xvid test cd you could download , with a trailer coded with different features each time....

http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-Divx ... -find.html

I'm not sure I got mine from that site but have a look.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Site Admin
Geezus wrote:
Little to add to all the above, just confirming that some standalones CAN handle a lot more than others.

I got a odd one myself, it will swallow qpel, but only if it's in Divx. It'll take Xvid but not with qpel. :wacky:
Then I got a LG HDD recorder that will play damm near anything , GMC and mkv excepted.

There was a divx/xvid test cd you could download , with a trailer coded with different features each time....

http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-Divx ... -find.html

I'm not sure I got mine from that site but have a look.

The list is pretty trash, it mentions the 360 but not the xbox 1... probably because it would be close to 100% result :googley:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 pm  Post subject: Re: QPel and Packed Bitstream

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
elchupacabra wrote:
Mine is like spud said.

NO: QPEL, GMC (It does notice them but simply shows a message that "xxx is not supported". :voodoo:)
AFTER FIRMWARE HACK: packed bitstream
YES: CQM

mine too