Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:07 pm  Post subject: How Do Files Get Renamed on the ed2k Network?

The Devil, Probably
Right, I know about hashes and all that but :

After releasing for a while I've noticed that my rips are now appearing under several different names!

I don't mind! Luckily my tag is still present in the filename, it seems (mostly for the ACF files) that people have renamed them to give more info on the file!

But my question is, and when you get details on any file you download/look at jigle it shows the different file names and sources.

So does emule treat renamed files as 1 file? Coz when you search a file details, if it's an SR file then you see the origanl file name with 4/5 sources and the Sharereactor tagged source with 90+ so why show you the availability of the different named files if it's the SAME FILE :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:01 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
it works like whatever you click you get as that filename, but the name and extension itself does not matter. The way it works is that the filename clicked is stored in a part.met file, however all the data associated with the hash is stored in the part file. When you complete it adds the filename from the .part.met to the part and saves, deleting the part/part.met. There is a good feature in emule to restore filenames.

Show filedetails, click the original filename and click 'take over' and then click apply

Your lucky that your tag has stayed. I don't mind retagging as long as it's added to a name, or if it's too long, it replaces some of it retaining the ripper, but some sites have taken to completely removing my name from the file. Luckily, if you just chat with them, they will restore the tags, most sites are okay. So if you notice it's up on a site without the proper tags, just give them a bell. A lot of the time it's done in error :)

That is why nothing gets added to this site without it's original filenames intact, I feel it's a matter of respecting the rippers and the releasers.

edit:
paraphrased:
1) Some People want simple filenames, and remove details. I think this is bad practise and you don';t know what your getting then.
2) These are then sometimes renamed also, to add details, so that can result in loss of credit, where credit is due.
3) some sites have tagging policies, and therefore they add or occasionally replace your name.
4) some people loathe tagging and then remove it all.

They are just examples though, it can happen because of many reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:45 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
The newest eMule clients also give you alternate names in search results, so that you can immediately choose under what name you want to download it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:33 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I used to remove all tags when I first started getting films. I wanted only the title and the year in my filenames back then. Didn't see the reason for having more in info the filename, and found it annoying (silly me). Was also very presice about setting the cd-title right.

These days I just keep the original filename, and burn all my cds with the title 'Boo'.

Anyways, I would encourage everyone to always include the year in the filename since it can sometimes get kinda hard to tell which film it is when importing info into EMM, and I actually have to start it up and play the first minutes to get some actor/crew name that I can cross-examine on imdb.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:33 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Polityk wrote:
The newest eMule clients also give you alternate names in search results, so that you can immediately choose under what name you want to download it.

yup and with inbuilt jigle, there's no excuse now :)