Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:39 am  Post subject: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Ancient One
Tonight I connected my XBOX to the PC to transfer files, and when I powered it up my PC shut itself off!

I tried this 2 more times with the same results. The last time my PC powered off when I attached the cable to my already switched on XBOX.

So I had to use a DVD-RW to transfer the files. :?

Can anyone shed light on this bizarre problem?

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:49 am  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Devil, Probably
I probably can't help you. But out of curiosity: how did you try to connect the PC to the XBOX?

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 am  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Ancient One
MCMLXXXVIII wrote:
Tonight I connected my XBOX to the PC to transfer files, and when I powered it up my PC shut itself off!

Do you mean like when you click "Start -> Shutdown..." or like power breakdown?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:31 am  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

Site Admin
when you plug the xbox on, do not unplug the plug at the wall that leads to your pc, unplug a different one.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
when you plug the xbox on, do not unplug the plug at the wall that leads to your pc, unplug a different one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:59 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Ancient One
elchupacabra wrote:
Do you mean like when you click "Start -> Shutdown..." or like power breakdown?

Like as if the plug is pulled. An instant shutdown.

RedVeil wrote:
I probably can't help you. But out of curiosity: how did you try to connect the PC to the XBOX?

I'm using a crossover cable.

I've done this loads of times before in the same way with no problems, and I can't think of anything that has changed since the last time.

If this is a power supply issue then why does the problem only arise when I connect my XBOX to my PC? It's not as if it's getting its power from the PC.

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:20 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Ancient One
Maybe your PC's power supply doesn't have enough power to let the led on your network adapter blink. :)

Can you try another network adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

The Devil, Probably
MCMLXXXVIII wrote:
I've done this loads of times before in the same way with no problems, and I can't think of anything that has changed since the last time.

Are you completely sure? Usually there is some change that one regards as irrelevant, whereas it turns out to be the root of the problem.
To me this sounds like a windows issue. I can give you an example: when I plug in my wireless USB adapter sometimes windows shows that blue screen it is famous for.

Here are some things you could try to narrow down the possible cause:
1.) Try to plug in the cable AND only turn on the XBOX afterwards
2.) Try to deactivate the network connection and plug in the cable and re-active the connection (in windows)
3.) Try to connect some other network device to the computer using the same cable
4.) Try a different cable

Let us know how far you've got. :wink:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:17 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
pc <---> xbox

Been trying to install the latest stable T3CH release of XBMC...but the damn codecs (.dll) are giving me trouble.
Laptop connected with XBOX through FTP (FlashFXP)...works fine.
Deleted old file E:\apps\XBMC (+ 0face008 directories in E:\UDATA & E:\TDATA)
Transfer new XBMC to E:\apps\...FTP stops at --> ir50_32.dll <-- (file already exists, overwrite? or skip?)

TRANSFER FAILED! :?

*please...anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:42 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

Site Admin
delete the whole xbmc first and copy the new one across?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:18 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I don't get it...deleted whole xbmc from E:\apps\...first. (now xbox can't find it anymore) Am I missing something here?
Where are those .dll files located that are giving me trouble?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:44 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

Site Admin
you can delete it whilst xbmc is running, then you won't have to overwrite any files, therefore the transfer won't ask you about skipping/overwriting and therefore you don't have a problem.

Alternatively, you can boot into another dash if you have one on your box still (just open an xbe in file explorer to launch it), which will unload all of xbmc, which will mean no more in use error messages.

The issue is that the file is locked, as far as that error message goes and you can't overwrite it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:46 pm  Post subject: Re: XBOX to PC transfer problem

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
thanks mate...transfer XBMC 8.10-ATLANTIS to F:\ without any problems...and used File Explorer to start. :beerchug: