Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 pm  Post subject: V Dub Problem

The Devil, Probably
I tried to rip a dvd at the weekend and ran into a prob. I lined all the extras on the dvd to be done overnight, it was 3 dir/cast interviews slide show and some trailers. when i came down i found that the first one had come out ok but the 2nd job had completed both passes but was stuck at 94% on the final mux and had been going for 8hrs :o so i close it all down dump all the vobs etc, restart pc and try again. I picked a trailer so it should have been 10 min tops, sat and watched it do 1st pass then second pass no prob then it starts the mux and get stuck at 83%. I close vdub and get message " there is a dub in progress do you really want to close" then i get little box pop up which has a log and this is what it says "[!] Dub: I/O thread has not cycled for ten seconds -- possible livelock. (Thread location: 7C90E4F4)"
any ideas ?
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:54 pm  Post subject: Re: V Dub Problem

The Devil, Probably
Dunno if this is helpful. but searching doom9 gave me a bunch of results. A couple of 'em:
Quote:
I have found that setting 'processing thread priority' to 'normal' makes the livelock issues go away.

Quote:
I went ahead and killed VirtualDubMod after it got stuck and AutoGK went ahead and did the rest of the encoding. If the test that got stuck made it through 52% of the file, I'm assuming that there is not much of a chance that the failure to evaluate the rest of the file had much (if any) of an effect on the finished product. Would this be a valid assumption. I watched some of the resulting file on my computer and it looked alright, although the file was a little larger than I expected--but it is an old film and I seem to get larger file sizes with older films probably because of the film artifacts.

The problem I was having previously was that my attempts to abort VDubMod had failed and I never bothered killing the task via Windows Task Manager.

I plan to try different versions of avisynth and VDubMod in further testing to see if I can isolate the problem, but I feel good that just killing VDubMod allowed me to skip the rest of the test and continue with the encoding; that is exactly what I wanted to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm  Post subject: Re: V Dub Problem

The Devil, Probably
Dr Phibes wrote:
I close vdub and get message " there is a dub in progress do you really want to close" then i get little box pop up which has a log and this is what it says "[!] Dub: I/O thread has not cycled for ten seconds -- possible livelock. (Thread location: 7C90E4F4)"
any ideas ?

Thread = part of a process (= windows task) that completes a specific task and shares its memory with other threads
Cycled = continuously calling some notification to tell the main process, which it is a part of, that it is still doing its work and therefore alive
Not cycled = it got stuck somehow/somewhere in its work
livelock = probably locked because of some unexpected error and caught in an infinite loop or something like that and therefore can't finish its work

You should look for processes in the task manager and close those too. Then try to run VDub again.
I hope I understood the problem correctly. :wink:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:14 pm  Post subject: Re: V Dub Problem

The Devil, Probably
Thanks guys
Pure, processing thread priority was set to normal
RedVeil, it happened again after rebooting pc so i would think if it was still running restarting would have stopped the process.

Just checked at doom9 myself ,thanks Pure i allways forget agout doom9, and found this
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-72558.html
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t ... genumber=1
cant seem to find answer as it seems to happen alot in varying situations