Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 am  Post subject: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?
Request Territory

Request Territory
Hi everyone, semi-new to the forums, I tried once with the Mac version of emule, which was aMule to download some files, it took forever and I could never get the hang of it. Anyway I'm wondering if there is any way to download a dead donkey file using Transmission. Not sure if any of you are familiar with the program, I use it for basic torrents.

If not, I guess I'll try to understand the eMule way of doing things. Yes I have read newbies sticky threads about getting started, it's just kind of a different animal, if you get what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:46 am  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?

The Devil, Probably
Welcum, flannelking, to answer your question, no Transmission is strictly BT. ED2k needs to run for a while before you get the hang of it, once you start building a good ratio in your client, things pretty much run themselves. I don't know any other ed2k mods for mac, but there are hundreds for pc. Helps if you leave it running in at least 12 hour+ sessions. Don't let the port fowarding scare and frighten you either (it does for some ;) ), and yes it is much slower overall than BT but theres a larger file database thats easily accessed through the client which is a major plus. (I know in BT you can search rss feeds though, similar)

Read the FAQs, enjoy and most of all, WELCOME TO THE BARBEQUE!!!!!! :rock: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:55 am  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?
Request Territory

Request Territory
Thanks for the help, I'll check around and just jump into it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?

The Ancient One
flannelking wrote:
it's just kind of a different animal, if you get what I mean.

I like the way you put that :)

Don't give up after a day or even a few hours like many others who wanted things fastfastfast. Patience will bring you riches beyond your wildest dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?

The Devil, Probably
Well, you can use Transmission as a torrent client to download the movies in the torrent section.
That way you can at least get some (more recent) files faster than through ED2K. I sometimes use it myself to bring over movies to ED2K.

Transmission is a very basic (pre-installed) torrent client. Azureus is bigger, slower but much more sophisticated. It's written in JAVA, that's what makes it slow.
aMule however is fast C++. :drunk:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?

Site Admin
Quote:
Azureus is bigger, slower but much more sophisticated. It's written in JAVA, that's what makes it slow.

Be careful with mixing user interface and the world slow when talking about p2p apps :googley:
Azureus' problems are largely client / user interface performance, not transfer rates.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?

The Devil, Probably
Yes. By "slow" I was referring to the response time of the GUI. Thanks for making this clear. :)
EDIT: And the startup time is also slooow.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:29 pm  Post subject: Re: Downloading Ed2k with Transmission?

Site Admin
That's because its extracting everything on the classpath and running through its classloader.
Good old java!