Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:02 am  Post subject: Which programs to use for ripping DVDs?

Skull Full Of Maggots
I wanted to ask all you ripping pros what programs you use for ripping DVDs..

I already ripped DVDs myself but I think my methods are very out of date...I used CladDVD for getting the vob-files on HD and then converted them with FlaskMpeg,I only used Virtual Dub for splitting files.....
Looking back,my old own rips suck compared to what you get from the ripping pros....

Any tips so I can start to rip DVDs by myself??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:05 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
gknot:

http://gknot.doom9.org

Puts all the best tools under one simple gui with extensive chimp-proof guides :) For your first rip follow the guide step by step these guides are written by quality whores and they know what they are talking about even if it seems non-sensical (check the forums for that lol) :)

Has all the tools like DVDdecryptor, Virtualdubmod,nandub,vobsub,appropriate filters, etc. packaged beneath it's core.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:22 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
Thx,your link doesn't work but I checked the Doom9.net -site and downloaded the GKnot-rippack,I think I'm all set then....

btw which guide do you mean?Found this one: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/gknot-basics.htm

And how long does it take to rip a DVD on an XP1800+ ??
With my outdated methods it took 2-4 hours.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:28 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
u get clonedvd and hxxp://www.dvddecrypter.com u get 100% perfect dvd copys with menus and all the goodies... if u also have a good dvdburner all this is done in 30min ;) u will never look back at avi and divx.. for spreading just winrar the clonedvd file and put in on share...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:31 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
sorry i guess they revoked the sub-domain, I haven't visited the site for a long time :(

http://www.doom9.org/gknot-main4.htm

GUIDES>XVID/DIVX>XVID (or divx it's your choice). Choose the basic gknot only guide.

Rips will take quite a while. Probably about 4hr, but can go far beyond. A 2 hr rip will look crappy in comparison so it's definitely worth it, particularly with older and low-budget horror films :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:36 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
d0c wrote:
u get clonedvd and hxxp://www.dvddecrypter.com u get 100% perfect dvd copys with menus and all the goodies... if u also have a good dvdburner all this is done in 30min ;) u will never look back at avi and divx.. for spreading just winrar the clonedvd file and put in on share...

and for those that don't live in swedon it's not an issue, it's infesable in most situations.

If i'm not mistaken, I think he was asking how to rip to xvid/divx?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:54 am  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
spudthedestroyer wrote:
If i'm not mistaken, I think he was asking how to rip to xvid/divx?

Yep,I'm used to good old DivX...my old rips are made with DivX 3.11 alpha and DivX 4......

Somehow d0c has a point there but it won't take long and all the DVD-players can also play Mpeg4 ( = DivX!! ).....

And I think the quality of a good DivX-Rip is very close to a DVD....
Let's wait 1 or 2 years and everyone will just share DVD-images but until then I'll stick to "classic" DivX..... :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:57 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I'd take a look at Xvid to be honest, it's a much better codec I feel now. Originally it produced horrid rips (looking at group releases when Xvid emerged) but now they are normally superior to divx. I'd never rip with 3.11 anymore, normally comes out too blocky. Divx 5.xx is much better but higher processor time is needed normally when playing back. Xvid is a good codec to take a look at (and it's not really anymore complicated than divx, especially if you follow doom9.org guides)

DVD-r I make all the time, problem is nobody has the bandwidth to support the release atm in most countries, so until my upload is uncapped or capped at a higher mark, dvd-r releasers are out of the question really. Would be nice to release em but what can you do :(