Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:52 pm  Post subject: Exported audio sounds terrible, what to do?

The Devil, Probably
Basically the title sums it up. I have exported the MP3 audio from an AVI file and the result sounds totally screwed up.
It is full with spikes (high frequencies), perhaps hisses whenever there is someone talking. I don't know why.
I simply exported the MP3 and supposed that it will be fine and sound like when playing the AVI in VLC. Well it doesn't!

I have uploaded a sample here: http://www.2shared.com/file/6138673/d3b ... ample.html (70 kB)

Some details about the original exported MP3 audio.
File size                        : 79.5 MiB
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits

Audacious (like winamp in linux) reports the bitrate to be 124 kBit/sec.

I tried to apply some low-pass filters which cut off high frequencies.
That does help a bit, but makes the quality of the spoken text very low and you can't understand anything of it afterwards.

Anyone had similar problems and knows a solution? He would save my day. :)

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Exported audio sounds terrible, what to do?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
RedVeil wrote:
Anyone had similar problems

No.

The question is, how did you extract the audio? Have you tried VDM? I think you can use via Wine under Linux without problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Exported audio sounds terrible, what to do?

The Devil, Probably
I exported the audio with AviDemux+. I will try VDM under Windows. I had to remove Wine, because I ran out of HD space on my notebook, due to all the system updates.
Will report back, what the result is. :)

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Exported audio sounds terrible, what to do?

The Devil, Probably
Turns out that the audio is shit in the source already. :matrix: Probably a poor VHS rip.
I noticed this on another computer that has a stereo headset. The whole audio is messed up like the sample I posted.
Will try to get another rip and take the sound out of that. Fingers crossed that it's the original language inside that rip. :)